U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2020, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Belton, Tx
1,016 posts, read 365,924 times
Reputation: 383

Advertisements

I read an article recently speaking of a possible urban megalopolitain area(their word not mine) stretching from Waco to Austin to San Antonio. Do you think this is possible or is it already starting? Or do you think it's a bunch of BS?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2020, 06:23 PM
 
5,390 posts, read 2,137,070 times
Reputation: 4153
We've still got a long way to go and personally its not something I'd be privy for either.

In comparison, FortWorth and Dallas are aproximately 30 - 35 miles apart. Austin TX and San Antonio are about 80 - 85 miles apart.

There is a decent bit of development off of I-35 for much of its length between the two but leave the interstate in either direction and that ends pretty quickly.

Add onto the fact that Austin and San Antonio are tailored toward two different industries overall and there is plenty of housing in both metro's, the need to commute between the two is very low and the factor of how many rely on a metro as to need to commute between two is a large determining factor of what builds a CSA, which Austin isn't yet.

So no. Not anytime soon..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2020, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
288 posts, read 730,890 times
Reputation: 148
I would argue that yes, it's already well underway, at least from Georgetown to SA. That stretch of I 35 is getting dangerously close to the point that you can't tell where one city ends and the next begins. I'd wager that in another 10 to 20 years tops it'll be there.

I think the section from Georgetown north to Waco has further to go though. It may also completely urbanize someday, but barring some major developments up that way, I don't see it happening for at least 20 years or so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2020, 08:03 PM
 
6,942 posts, read 12,347,862 times
Reputation: 3542
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I read an article recently speaking of a possible urban megalopolitain area(their word not mine) stretching from Waco to Austin to San Antonio. Do you think this is possible or is it already starting? Or do you think it's a bunch of BS?
you can look at any of the combined metro areas in the US or around the world and you will see the distances are shorter than austin to san antonio.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2020, 08:08 PM
 
5,390 posts, read 2,137,070 times
Reputation: 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB817 View Post
I would argue that yes, it's already well underway, at least from Georgetown to SA. That stretch of I 35 is getting dangerously close to the point that you can't tell where one city ends and the next begins. I'd wager that in another 10 to 20 years tops it'll be there.

I think the section from Georgetown north to Waco has further to go though. It may also completely urbanize someday, but barring some major developments up that way, I don't see it happening for at least 20 years or so.
There's more to it than having the land between the two developed, even if they were heavily developed. Technically all the land between San Francisco and San Jose is developed but they are two separate MSA's. The major factor is how heavily the cities rely on eachother for economic outputs, and I would say even if they were heavily built, they would still be very much self-sustaining. FortWorth on the otherhand is dwarfed by Dallas and its Metroplex, its growth and economics are more dependent on the Metroplex than San Antonio is to Austin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2020, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Belton, Tx
1,016 posts, read 365,924 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB817 View Post
I would argue that yes, it's already well underway, at least from Georgetown to SA. That stretch of I 35 is getting dangerously close to the point that you can't tell where one city ends and the next begins. I'd wager that in another 10 to 20 years tops it'll be there.

I think the section from Georgetown north to Waco has further to go though. It may also completely urbanize someday, but barring some major developments up that way, I don't see it happening for at least 20 years or so.
I live in Belton (newcomer) and the area between Killeen and Temple is filling in. Between Temple and Waco there are still gaps. Some of the towns like Bruceville-Eddy are growing and filling in a little bit still a ways to go like you already stated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2020, 08:14 PM
 
5,390 posts, read 2,137,070 times
Reputation: 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I live in Belton (newcomer) and the area between Killeen and Temple is filling in. Between Temple and Waco there are still gaps. Some of the towns like Bruceville-Eddy are growing and filling in a little bit still a ways to go like you already stated.
Well, TBH, I-35 vastly reminds me of CA-99 in the aspect of constantly passing through towns (Bakersfield, Visalia, Fresno, Merced, Turlock, Modesto, Stockton, Sacremento) .. there are many sections where you literally can't tell where one city ends and another begins (although this is a bit more pronounced on I-35)..but they all still operate pretty independent of each other.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2020, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Belton, Tx
1,016 posts, read 365,924 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
There's more to it than having the land between the two developed, even if they were heavily developed. Technically all the land between San Francisco and San Jose is developed but they are two separate MSA's. The major factor is how heavily the cities rely on eachother for economic outputs, and I would say even if they were heavily built, they would still be very much self-sustaining. FortWorth on the otherhand is dwarfed by Dallas and its Metroplex, its growth and economics are more dependent on the Metroplex than San Antonio is to Austin.
Not disputing any of the points you've made but if MSA isn't possible then what about CSA?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2020, 08:20 PM
 
5,390 posts, read 2,137,070 times
Reputation: 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Not disputing any of the points you've made but if MSA isn't possible then what about CSA?
Still isnt very likely..although more likely than MSA, for it to happen, one region would have to become considerably dependent on the other and both operate pretty independent of each other.

Comparably, Atlanta has a CSA that takes up nearly 50% of North Georgia, reason for that though is because Georgia's outlier suburbs do not pull enough economic weight to operate independently of Atlanta in terms of the bulk of their population and job growth. Boston is similar, on its own its pretty small but its CSA region is huge.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2020, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
7,207 posts, read 9,653,854 times
Reputation: 4336
This comes up in both forums pretty regularly. This is a big demographic m, geographical and location and economic issue that I think a lot of people that make way above any of our pay grades in this topic will eventually make.

It’s a fun philosophical debate but like others have said, at least between SA and Austin the economics are vastly different. Culturally they’re pretty similar, but due to the military, tourism and medical firms, I’d say that SA and Killeen have more in common then SA and Austin. I feared my transition from SA to Austin was going to be tough, but honestly, it was nothing at all. I’d also argue that Austin’s Latino culture in more diverse then SA’s. I’ve seen the area between SA and Austin build up dramatically in the last five years. My parents are looking for a home with very specific needs and have lost out on several due to the market being so hot in that in between space.

But to be one big MSA, not in my lifetime.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top