Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 05:53 PM

4,840 posts, read 3,270,079 times

Advertisements

Is the tollway concessionaire supposed to be shredding the right of way occasionally? First time I've driven the length in quite awhile (because Transguide actually said it was faster late Saturday afternoon, which I'd never seen before). It just looks BAD, and for the money those thieves are getting it shouldn't.

Surprised at the amount of traffic on the northern section. Much more than the last time I drove it. But the same NO traffic on the southern leg. Occurred to me that if I was actually wanting to bypass Austin on the way to San Antonio, it might actually be useful to take 130 to San Marcos and then go south. I still just can't imagine they actually think people will pay $13 to go 50 miles (more?) out of their way to get the side of San Antonio that doesn't have anything going on... and then deal with the San Antonio traffic to get to where they want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 07:47 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
I've only taken the toll road from north Austin to Seguin once. It was the weekend of the Halloween flood up here. (I think it just barely rained down in SA/Seguin...it was a nightmare here). I was still in the process of moving (half of my things in SA and the other in Austin). As a TLU alum, I know the drive from SA to Seguin like the back of my hand, but boy, it was more exhausting than sitting in traffic between south Austin and New Braunfels (which I've done too). I don't think I'll ever do it again, unless for some reason I'm going directly to Seguin for a reason, and even the usual 35 to 46/725/123 still sounds better to me.

With that said, I will take it from 45 in south Austin to Pflugerville to see friends. It beats sitting in 35 traffic, even if it is longer distance wise. If only I could figure out why I’m getting like three txtag bills when I have the little sticker thing.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 09-14-2020 at 08:31 PM..

Old 09-14-2020, 07:48 PM

738 posts, read 764,821 times
South end is useful for Corpus to Dallas. You can take 123 from Seguin to Karnes City then drop to 37 and avoid both Austin and San Antonio entirely. It's about 45 minutes faster than going through Houston(where the beltway is also tolled).

There is a lot less mowing on state highways than you think. Usually only a few times a year. The entire wildflower program is based on having a good reason to not mow in the Spring when rainfall makes the grass get long fast. 3-4 mows a year is normal.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:22 PM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
I only use it for the heck of it. The 85 MPH zone is fun but I-35 is more direct and faster 99% of the time.

Should be re-signed as a road to Senguin. It isn’t much good for anything else. Unfortunately if there were a toll road that were to connect to SATX, it would need to cut straight through Hill Country to be effective and terminate somewhere around 281 and 1604. Since that isn’t happening, we get to marvel at the worlds loneliest toll road with the highest speed limit in the nation.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:29 PM

N4C you need to work on your spelling. First Pflugerville and now Seguin? At least you didn’t spell it Sequin. We need to give you a crash course on south and central Texas geography and history.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
N4C you need to work on your spelling. First Pflugerville and now Seguin? At least you didn’t spell it Sequin. We need to give you a crash course on south and central Texas geography and history.
It's also another odd name

Old 09-15-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It's also another odd name
Not if you know your history!

Old 09-15-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I’ll admit you’ll probably know more Texas history than I will ever. Although I was technically born in FortWorth I’ve spent most of my life traveling abound the states, with my primary residence in Atlanta for a considerable period of that time, then I moved to Austin and ... I guess not much has changed... That plus more often than not my mind is being beaten into a blender with more IT related stuff, that or I’m in god knows where USA making a quick post at a gas station. When I’m posting here I’m either just waking up, multi-tasking, or preparing to sleep ...

Old 09-15-2020, 10:57 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
The long stretch of I-10 from Seguin to the east side of SA is just as bad as 35 from Buda to the north side.
Not worth paying the extra to drive 130 from SE 45 down there on the 85mph segment.

Not to mention that section of 130 had to be rebuilt to the tune of tens of millions because the original contractor was corrupt and excessively cut corners so much it fell apart after just a few years... with very light traffic. Don’t know why those crooks aren’t in jail.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:13 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
It is still an odd name, whether you know the history or not .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin