Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 11:04 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagovsnyc View Post
Why do all the druggies hang on the east side?
Do some research on the history of Austin and disparities. Then you’ll understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 01:13 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Well for a vocal number of people Austin wasn't all that free for quite a while and fairly restrictive.

As a New Yorker (Bronx born), I'd deal with Cuomo rather than Abbott. We're still No. 2 for Covid, whereas NYC has gone down and stayed down. NYC is a super dense city, prime ground for COVID. Something had to be done. We botched things down here too (i.e. reopening too early).

I don't want to live in NYC again, but I'm no refugee. NYC will recover after COVID and nothing is quite like it as far as I'm concerned.

I do agree that my dollar goes farther down here. I have a nice sized home on a nice sized lot. Can't imagine returning to apartments or shared walls anytime soon.

Carrying a gun means nothing to me tbh.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:33 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well for a vocal number of people Austin wasn't all that free for quite a while and fairly restrictive.

As a New Yorker (Bronx born), I'd deal with Cuomo rather than Abbott. We're still No. 2 for Covid, whereas NYC has gone down and stayed down. NYC is a super dense city, prime ground for COVID. Something had to be done. We botched things down here too (i.e. reopening too early).

I don't want to live in NYC again, but I'm no refugee. NYC will recover after COVID and nothing is quite like it as far as I'm concerned.

I do agree that my dollar goes farther down here. I have a nice sized home on a nice sized lot. Can't imagine returning to apartments or shared walls anytime soon.

Carrying a gun means nothing to me tbh.
You say we botched things, but new york city's unemployment was 19% and is 15%. New York state's unemployment is 12%.

Texas made a choice to keep things closed enough to flatten the curve, but open enough to keep our unemployment lower at 6.8%

You call that botched, but I consider that successfully walking the fine line in balancing economy and life.

California, illinois, new york, new jersey all have > 10% unemployment as they are just starting to open.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:59 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagovsnyc View Post
Why do all the druggies hang on the east side?
Never heard of West Campus?

Old 09-30-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
You say we botched things, but new york city's unemployment was 19% and is 15%. New York state's unemployment is 12%.

Texas made a choice to keep things closed enough to flatten the curve, but open enough to keep our unemployment lower at 6.8%

You call that botched, but I consider that successfully walking the fine line in balancing economy and life.

California, illinois, new york, new jersey all have > 10% unemployment as they are just starting to open.
I'm talking about lives not employment rates. Texas should never have reopened in May when the data wasn't truly supporting that.

I've been financially impacted by COVID 19 and I've watched several of my favorite businesses go under (couldn't support them all)...so I'd have a vested interest in reopening but back then, we needed to take better measures to protect human capital. I have no issues with reopening now (phased of course) but May was too soon.

New York, Cali, and the rest will recover in due time, we know that. But COVID needs to be controlled.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:39 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm talking about lives not employment rates. Texas should never have reopened in May when the data wasn't truly supporting that.

I've been financially impacted by COVID 19 and I've watched several of my favorite businesses go under (couldn't support them all)...so I'd have a vested interest in reopening but back then, we needed to take better measures to protect human capital. I have no issues with reopening now (phased of course) but May was too soon.

New York, Cali, and the rest will recover in due time, we know that. But COVID needs to be controlled.
I look at it more as texas pushed the limit of how fast you could reopen. I agree it was too fast. But unless someone goes too fast you dont know how fast you can go.

Other states can now look at us and use our protocols for reopening. Texas having a higher death rate will mean other states can open with a lower death rate while minimizing economic damage.

If we had a federal response we might have minimized deaths, but maximized economic damage. We also wouldnt know what the minimum amount of opening is ok.

I look at california, NY etc and think they are opening way too slowly.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:56 AM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
I look at it more as texas pushed the limit of how fast you could reopen. I agree it was too fast. But unless someone goes too fast you dont know how fast you can go.

Other states can now look at us and use our protocols for reopening. Texas having a higher death rate will mean other states can open with a lower death rate while minimizing economic damage.

If we had a federal response we might have minimized deaths, but maximized economic damage. We also wouldnt know what the minimum amount of opening is ok.

Well.. ..in terms of too fast I personally don’t think limits were on Abbott’s mind. I believe Abbott got cold feet due to all of the corporate backlash he may have received during the shutdowns and it was probably atkin to having a gun to his face given Texas is one of the most business friendly states in the nation and its lenient policies towards them is a huge incentive for them to come here. That plus he probably didn’t want to enter a recession. I don’t know a great deal about Abbott but I wouldn’t be surprised if much of his political campaign is based on the prosperity and success of business in this state... He probably knew it was too soon but hoped he could pull it off while in some way keeping the public outcry at bay.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:

I agree, I think Cali is being overly cautious, but then again, they're almost to a million cases...that's a lot. NYC is very densely packed with people...perhaps that caution is because of that.

Unfortunately that misstep in May cost lives but I will admit that some of the blame falls on people. I never bought into the reopening and electively chose to stay home. I wasn't looking at any public official to give me the blessing and even now, I follow my own timetable.

While I think states should handle responses for their own populations, the Federal government's response should have been better than what it was. The economy was going to go into the tanker the moment Corona evolved into a pandemic vs an epidemic. COVID attacked many things that generated the economy (large events, conferences, anything that involved groups)...the downturn was unavoidable and the ramifications I expect to be severe...though I admit that I've never received a pay reduction before or witnessed so many businesses going belly up. I was in the WTC area during 9/11 and while that event shook things up for many years to come, it was different than this. Time will tell.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:06 PM

181 posts, read 159,686 times
I think we got it right, maybe reopened a little too slow. To me, the people will decide what they're willing to do regardless of what the State says assuming they are provided enough info. Government always takes ages to adapt to the ground after the initial part of a major event, this thing will be over well before the regulations catch up to reality. IE the mask mandate will probably be removed after you start seeing large numbers of people dropping the mask. That's just me though. Before the governor made any decisions, my client had already been making it's own adjustments to work from home without needing to intervention from the government. I can't believe there are some places still shut down, in fact, I keep forgetting we're technically in a shut down around here.

I don't see how one could even compare between the two cities during COVID. Aside from the night and day differences between Austin and NYC, as a traveled person, NYC didn't appeal to me much, and haven't felt the need to go back as I have other places (even though my wife loves NYC). My experience was that folks seemed less friendly in general, there's terrible traffic, taxes are high, unions, leadership no good (particularly de Blasio), unable to protect yourself (no CHL), architecturally it wasn't attractive, expensive (cost of living). I mean I'm sure the city is fine as far as cities go, but don't see the allure unless you're in finance and want to go where the action is. If I had to put up with that kind of environment and cost, I'd rather live in a place with more culture/history (Insert major European city here), or a more orderly and clean place like Singapore. Everyone has their preference though.
(Edit) I forgot one pro for NYC. If you like to travel internationally, the proximity probably allows easier and less expensive travel to European/W.Africa countries; not to mention extensive routes to other places.

Last edited by VAF84; 09-30-2020 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Adding a pro for NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: