U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM

22 posts, read 3,576 times

Advertisements

Would you move to Austin or NYC during COVID? It seems like Austin is much more free and the cost of living to quality is great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM

5,421 posts, read 2,145,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagovsnyc View Post
Would you move to Austin or NYC during COVID? It seems like Austin is much more free and the cost of living to quality is great.
Austin

Initially Cuomo's response on a state level was okay given a few factors, a brand new and unknown threat, the density of NYC and how much easier it could spread in NYC.. ..it at first on surface level comes off as a very people and health considerate move, but as cases began to subside, businesses were still forced to remain closed and many business owners were forced into bankruptcy because of which. Also areas of the state that weren't as severely impacted as NYC were also forced to remain shut down. Thats why places like Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, ect are all seeing New Yorker flood into them in ceaseless groves.

Cuomo also purposefully had several seniors whom knowingly were infected put into nursing homes where he knew they would contribute to rampant spread within those facilities as to skew the fatality rates:
https://khn.org/news/is-cuomo-direct...ficial-claims/

Other links:

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...yzy-story.html

https://theintercept.com/2020/04/28/...-york-primary/

https://www.investigativepost.org/20...vid-19-orders/

https://www.yonkerstribune.com/2019/...ichard-brodsky

I believe the social distancing and open business model is over all the best solution we can have currently... it is why although the southern states didn't take this threat as seriously as they should have, they are seeing an explosion of migrations from NY and CA ...I just wish more people took social distancing / mask wearing seriously.

That asside, I've had my days of high density urban living. I don't miss it. I'm quite happily residing in far more affordable suburbs of Austin than NYC... the only thing I do wish we had that NYC does a great job with is transit and cultural amenities but... can't have everything you wish for right?

Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM

Another often overlooked perk for me is, guns. I have a concealed carry permit and many "assault weapons" (not in NYC). It's nice that the gun ranges in Austin look like something from the Stark Industries (Iron Man Movies)

Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Another often overlooked perk for me is, guns. I have a concealed carry permit and many "assault weapons" (not in NYC). It's nice that the gun ranges in Austin look like something from the Stark Industries (Iron Man Movies)
You can also legally make right turns on red in Austin

I personally am not a firearm guy but I have read horror stories about self defense in NYC with firearms such as break-ins where the victim was sentenced to prison for defending his property or family where that would have been completely legitimate here.. ..I will say in NYC's defense though, they have a remarkably low crime rate for a city its size. Its one of the safest major cities there are.

Old Today, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
You can also legally make right turns on red in Austin

I personally am not a firearm guy but I have read horror stories about self defense in NYC with firearms such as break-ins where the victim was sentenced to prison for defending his property or family where that would have been completely legitimate here.. ..I will say in NYC's defense though, they have a remarkably low crime rate for a city its size. Its one of the safest major cities there are.
I'm in Austin right now and it feels very safe. I think statistically it is safe - I've been walking after midnight? However, I can't get over how many homeless are here for a city of this size. I've flew my gun on the plane here and I feel significantly safer carrying because every single day I get swarmed by the homeless on the east side sixth street.

Old Today, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I'm in Austin right now and it feels very safe. I think statistically it is safe - I've been walking after midnight? However, I can't get over how many homeless are here for a city of this size. I've flew my gun on the plane here and I feel significantly safer carrying because every single day I get swarmed by the homeless on the east side sixth street.
It is very safe IMO. people complain about crime here but its nothing compared to places like Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, D.C., ect. Petty theft and homeless crimes usually. We do have a property-crime issue though, don't leave important stuff in your car.

Old Today, 07:29 AM

7,228 posts, read 9,660,360 times
Checking my facebook "new to Austin groups" there are lots of people still moving here. It makes me wonder how absolutely terrible traffic will be once we get back to "normal."

Old Today, 08:56 AM

11 posts, read 186 times
I relocated from that region. I can say that the Governor's from New Jersey/New York botched many things Co-Vid related, especially the deaths & lack of preparation for the seniors and people in acute care facilities and nursing homes. More then half of the deaths were attributed to such.

I like it here, it does feel safer aside from a few packages being stolen off my porch but overall the people here are friendlier. Texas is like a whole different culture.

Old Today, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Checking my facebook "new to Austin groups" there are lots of people still moving here. It makes me wonder how absolutely terrible traffic will be once we get back to "normal."
It will be that way just about everywhere. Last time I was in DFW they were actually having some pretty rough traffic during weekdays despite Covid-19.

Old Today, 09:02 AM

9,329 posts, read 9,269,097 times
Hanging around East 6th (Dirty 6th) is for tourists, college kids, gangbangers, druggies & bums. Has been that way for years now, so the “cool” crowd has apparently gotten smarter and moved to other areas around downtown for their entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or