Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 01:25 PM

11 posts, read 8,306 times

Advertisements

I just got back from another city and have noticed something peculiar in Austin. 99% of people are wearing masks OUTSIDE in Austin? I’m not talking about on busy downtown sidewalks or restaurant patios. I’m talking about in Home Depot and HEB parking lots where there isn’t another person close by. The city I was in has 99% mask compliance indoors but people remove their masks upon going outside.

Can someone explain this thought process/logic? There is no reputable scientific or public health source that recommends wearing masks outside where social distancing is possible. What am I missing? I’ve also noticed a lot of people in Austin wearing masks while driving alone. What’s the reasoning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 01:31 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Just being safe, probably. I don’t take off my mask until I get to the car when I’m out. I don’t wear one to walk the dog or when I’m exercising outside. I might just forget to take my mask off in the car. Or, if I’m out shopping and moving from one space in the parking lot to another I won’t take off my mask. I think you’re just being overly observant in a new city. Differences are heightened when you go somewhere new. Even when I make the trip to San Antonio there’s things I notice and think, “hmm, why do they do it that way?” “Or oh dear, GOD why do they talk like that?”

Old 09-29-2020, 01:41 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdevelop5 View Post
I just got back from another city and have noticed something peculiar in Austin. 99% of people are wearing masks OUTSIDE in Austin? I’m not talking about on busy downtown sidewalks or restaurant patios. I’m talking about in Home Depot and HEB parking lots where there isn’t another person close by. The city I was in has 99% mask compliance indoors but people remove their masks upon going outside.

Can someone explain this thought process/logic? There is no reputable scientific or public health source that recommends wearing masks outside where social distancing is possible. What am I missing? I’ve also noticed a lot of people in Austin wearing masks while driving alone. What’s the reasoning?
What a strange thing to be focused on. And I don't think you've gotten out much because there's nothing peculiar about it. It's not so black and white, like 90/10, 70/30... wearing masks in lots. Most people wear them in parking lots where I live, some take the off but those people are also handling them incorrectly. I see many people out for walks, with no intention of going indoors, wearing masks. So what?

Old 09-29-2020, 02:05 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
I'll take that over many parts of the southern states outright not wearing it period.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
What a strange thing to be focused on. And I don't think you've gotten out much because there's nothing peculiar about it. It's not so black and white, like 90/10, 70/30... wearing masks in lots. Most people wear them in parking lots where I live, some take the off but those people are also handling them incorrectly. I see many people out for walks, with no intention of going indoors, wearing masks. So what?
Not strange at all! If there is some public health information that I have missed then I would like to know! If not, then Austinite’s are wearing masks in places that provide no public health or personal benefit but inflict societal harm. When people are further limited from seeing others smile and facial expressions real
impacts are created. When everyone wears a mask in the outdoors, a sense of unwarranted doom and fear is created. These create real impacts on people’s mental health.

What a strange think to wear a mask covering your mouth and nose for an outdoor walk with no intention of going inside! Again, unless I have missed some study or evidence showing there to be some benefit in doing so.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'll take that over many parts of the southern states outright not wearing it period.
I just returned from Birmingham Alabama and I would say indoor mask wearing is at 99%. Where in the south are people not wearing masks?

Old 09-29-2020, 02:31 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:

Okay, a bit of hyperbole here, I think, because I live in an area of town that is very 'pro-mask' and only a few people wear them outside when they are not near anyone else.

I wear mine in my car occasionally - driving from one store to another, or just forget to take it off on the way home from HEB. It really is quite simple to just leave it on, since there is no hurry to take it off. It is hardly noticeable.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:37 PM

74 posts, read 123,098 times
I was in Destin Florida the week of the hurricane. Almost no one was wearing masks...INSIDE or OUT.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Okay, a bit of hyperbole here, I think, because I live in an area of town that is very 'pro-mask' and only a few people wear them outside when they are not near anyone else.

I wear mine in my car occasionally - driving from one store to another, or just forget to take it off on the way home from HEB. It really is quite simple to just leave it on, since there is no hurry to take it off. It is hardly noticeable.
I need to find one of your masks! Mine are so uncomfortable that I can’t with to rip it off as soon as I’m outdoors. What style do you have?

Old 09-29-2020, 03:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Not strange at all! If there is some public health information that I have missed then I would like to know! If not, then Austinite’s are wearing masks in places that provide no public health or personal benefit but inflict societal harm. When people are further limited from seeing others smile and facial expressions real
impacts are created. When everyone wears a mask in the outdoors, a sense of unwarranted doom and fear is created. These create real impacts on people’s mental health.

What a strange think to wear a mask covering your mouth and nose for an outdoor walk with no intention of going inside! Again, unless I have missed some study or evidence showing there to be some benefit in doing so.
You're being a tad melodramatic here. There is no "harm" to society in not seeing my face and who cares if someone sees my smile or not. I don't smile much anyway and my facial expressions can be very clear - my lowered eyebrows mean I'm pissed off and there's a person's body language.

Wearing a mask reduces risk of airborne transmission. You don't know what the person's health is. If they choose to wear a mask outside, does it REALLY matter?

Good grief I don't know what the big deal is about a mask. Thank God Ebola didn't make it over here. We'd all be bleeding to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin