Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:02 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,379,600 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Another thread brought up this development. Where is it? Any opinions about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 12:08 PM

5,855 posts, read 11,855,289 times
The reason it's called Mueller is because it is located where the old airport used to be. So, picture a flat area that used to be covered with runways and fields and that's what it looks like. Here's a link to the city of Austin's webpage that describes it. I personally didn't care for it, but it does have a lot to offer. and I think it will definitely improve over time (especially when it gets some trees, LOL).
City of Austin - Redevelopment of Robert Mueller Municipal

Old 05-02-2008, 12:31 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,028,038 times
I think it's a great idea for those who need to be close to the city core, for work. I also think it's expensive and doesn't work for many people who need a bit of yard, or those with a larger (over 2 people, animals, beings) family.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:35 PM

28 posts, read 124,562 times
I just wanted to mention that we have a friend who has moved in over there - the trees and landscaping have started going in and it looks great now! I think it is a neat development and we came close to moving there. If you google it the main website should come up - it has tons of info. I do think there are quite a few families living there, with lots of kids.

Last edited by cviewmom; 05-02-2008 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: forgot something.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:30 PM

72 posts, read 197,661 times
I personally dislike the development so far... though I like the concept. It's amazing how much the concept and the execution can differ. The houses are HUGE but are crammed onto tiny lots. I know I'm likely in the minority here, but I don't understand why each person in a family needs 750 to 1,000 square feet of living space to be comfortable.

The houses also all look too similar to one another for my taste, and I think its odd that hundreds of stone faced "Hill Country contemporary style" homes should be built in the Blackland Prairie. I'd prefer more eclecticism in the housing stock, with some moderns, and (updated) bungalows, arts-crafts, victorian, and mid-century thrown into the mix. It would fit in better with the surrounding neighborhoods and be a tad bit "weirder." I know, that's probably an anathema to a developer or construction lender.

The fact that there will be lots of nice parks, sidewalks, bike lanes, and even some amenities within walking distance does make up for a lot. They may get a downtown transit link in the future if you like that idea.

I also really, really dislike the shopping center fronting on I-35. I understand that these developments need a big regional retail component to jump-start the economics of the deal; why they can't build them with continuous awnings or arcades/loggias so you could actually walk from Best Buy to Chair King (for example) without subjecting yourself to the blistering sun or the rain is beyond me. I guess you're supposed to drive to Best Buy, park near it, walk to the store, buy stuff, walk back to your car, drive across the asphalt ocean to the Chair King, park near it, etc. Sheesh.

Last edited by geoquiz3000; 05-02-2008 at 05:39 PM..

Old 05-04-2008, 10:17 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,276,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoquiz3000 View Post
I know I'm likely in the minority here, but I don't understand why each person in a family needs 750 to 1,000 square feet of living space to be comfortable.
Well, add me to that minority. I will never get why people need such large houses. Stop buying so much crap and wasting so much space.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,990,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I will never get why people need such large houses.
Nothing impresses the neighbors and family like debt.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:15 PM

21 posts, read 50,782 times
I think that the residential density may be set to go up. The developer is talking about going from silver to gold LEED-ND (green neighborhood design) ratings. Here's an article in the Chronicle about it:Austin News: Developing Stories: Greening the Neighborhood: Mueller earns LEED-ND - AustinChronicle.com

Old 11-23-2009, 01:23 PM

206 posts, read 482,266 times
Garreth, can you give us a sense of how the affordable housing component of Muller and surrounding areas is working. At want pt. does lack of funding become an issue? It's nice they built that beautiful children's shelter in Mueller, but ran out of money to operate it.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:41 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,718,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calien View Post
Garreth, can you give us a sense of how the affordable housing component of Muller and surrounding areas is working.
I'm not Garreth, but I can give you the basics of the "affordable housing" part of the community. 2% of the homes are to be "affordable housing". That means, out of every 100 houses built, 2 (two) houses have to be priced lower. They were sold well before they were built.

Each section is assigned a builder for the affordable housing so it's not the same builder in each section. As for right now, last I inquired, Mueller has decided to wait another year before starting their next phase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: