Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2020, 09:29 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

Well, it's October and time to check the smoke detectors. OOPS, ours were original to the build 15 years ago!!! (You can check the production date on most detectors). Time to replace SIX smoke detectors at once! Shop carefully and you can get a bundle deal on 6 if you need them.

Now, what to do with the old ones??? Some sites say the amount of radioactive material is so small that dropping fewer than 10 at a time in the trash is OK. That surprised me as I "always" heard that they need to be recycled. Problem is finding a place that wants them...especially during the Covid crisis.

Does anyone have a link or info regarding local recycling places that will take ionization-style smoke detectors???
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 09:43 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Do you live in the city limits of Austin? I think the city will take them, but you might have to drop them off in SE Austin. They do have a once a year haz waste pickup day, but not sure when that is.

Edit: Looks like they do not accept 'radioactive materials, so maybe not

As per a random search:
Quote:
You can also try to send your old detector back to the original manufacturer. Locate the brand name and/or address on the back of the device, or find the information in the user’s manual. After removing the battery, send the whole unit back intact (do not try to disassemble) with a note indicating that the device is intended for disposal.
Here is a (quite possibly dated) list of manufacturers that accept that units back and their return addresses:
https://ocrra.org/wp-content/uploads...1pg_020119.pdf

Old 10-19-2020, 01:44 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Do you live in the city limits of Austin? I think the city will take them, but you might have to drop them off in SE Austin. They do have a once a year haz waste pickup day, but not sure when that is.

Edit: Looks like they do not accept 'radioactive materials, so maybe not

As per a random search:

Here is a (quite possibly dated) list of manufacturers that accept that units back and their return addresses:
https://ocrra.org/wp-content/uploads...1pg_020119.pdf

They don't want to make it TOO easy! Call ahead, only four at a time??? Sheesh!

IF I can get hold of a person with AFD, maybe they recycle the ones they remove in their free-replacement program(if that exists).

Easy enough to leave them in a box until I can figure this out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: