Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 10:36 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times

Advertisements

I actually just checked the MLS. There are currently only 3 available, single family homes in Steiner under a $1 million, and one of those is priced at $975,000. The rest are all either over a $1 million or under contract. There is also a 2 bedroom condo available. That's it.

There is a new development going up in the front of Steiner that may have some spec homes available soon (all the available ones are already gone). But honestly, you couldn't pay me to buy one of those. Smallest lots I've ever seen (they may technically be classified as condos), they're right on 620 with all of it's noise, and there are no left turns allowed in or out of the development, meaning even if you want to go to the elementary or middle school or some other point also in Steiner, you will need to get on 620 and drive around to the other Steiner entrance. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 01:44 PM

9 posts, read 8,830 times
Finding anything in Steiner is actually really difficult. Its mind boggling how the houses are really flying off market within a day or two. Same is the case for Cedar Park and Round Rock. I actually started looking at Liberty Parke..I know its really off Steiner Ranch. But its closer to those 2 areas and we can get real value for our money and actually reduce the monthly cost substantially. I have been reading about that area and sounds like schools are good too and getting better. Anyone has any thoughts?

Old 11-17-2020, 02:43 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ12 View Post
Finding anything in Steiner is actually really difficult. Its mind boggling how the houses are really flying off market within a day or two. Same is the case for Cedar Park and Round Rock. I actually started looking at Liberty Parke..I know its really off Steiner Ranch. But its closer to those 2 areas and we can get real value for our money and actually reduce the monthly cost substantially. I have been reading about that area and sounds like schools are good too and getting better. Anyone has any thoughts?
That is far, like really far, to go anywhere. Like crazy far. That's why it's so much less expensive and easier to find a house there. It's a perfectly nice area, but pretty remote, considering. And you'll be spending A LOT of time in your car.

You may want to check out Grandview Hills and River Place, also possibly Canyon Creek. Grandview Hills and River Place feed into the same high school as Steiner. Half of Canyon Creek also feeds into that high school, but the other half is in Round Rock ISD and feeds into Westwood High School, which is probably better academically than Vandegrift. Still limited inventory, but it will at least expand your search. It will also be tough to find a home in River Place that's in your price range, but they do come up from time to time.

Last edited by CarnivalGal; 11-17-2020 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-13-2022, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 4,305 times
@PJ12 where did you end up? I am in the same predicament as you were and don't want to drive my kids an hour to practice. Any feedback about which club you picked? Happy to do a private message if you prefer. I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Old 02-04-2022, 02:08 PM

109 posts, read 163,735 times
My family went through the same process in 2020. We rented in Steiner and loved it upon seeing it. We quickly realized the neighborhood was not for us. I think you will have a very hard time at your price point. One of the first questions we were constantly asked is "what neighborhood do you live in"? Steiner has various neighborhoods and you are basically being sized up for your finances, it is very much a "competing with the Jones environment". Steiner was also miserable to get in and out of (even when traffic wasn't bad). it is definitely a bubble.
Coincidentally we also put my daughter in Lonestar. After 2 season she never wanted to play again...the coaches were mediocre at best and they seemed completely un-invested in the kids. Each coach has 4-5 teams. We also had to drive to 30 minutes to practice.

Go towards Leander, Liberty Hill, Cedar Park or head further south towards Circle C or Dripping all have great schools. We ended up in Liberty Hill and love it. My wife and I (despite the rankings) have seen firsthand our kids are doing much better than they were in Steiner. We finally got my daughter to play on their select team and she has started to like soccer again. She has friends from school on the team which she didn't with Lonestar (players are from all over). The coaches are invested and actually know their names. The houses are affordable and I can get to the domain or downtown just as fast as I could going down 620.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin