Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Does anyone live in Manor and can share their experiences living there? How is the Shadowglen neighborhood? I saw some old threads and didn't see good things about Manor. Is it getting better? I was hoping eventually they would open an HEB there. I know the schools aren't great, but no kids yet. With Tesla coming was hoping Manor would be more up and coming...I welcome any opinions! Thank you everyone in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 05:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Tesla was announced mid pandemic. There hasn't been time for there to be any meaningful change to occur.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:08 AM

242 posts, read 206,490 times
There is so much land out that direction (new build competition) and with terrible schools, that I don't see Manor getting "hot" anytime soon. They may start some subdivisions in the area for 400K like they have in Del Valle, but I would expect houses built at that price (really anywhere in Eastern Travis) to stagnate for the next 5-10 years, or greatly lag the rest of the Austin market in terms of appreciation. If you want a nice house at a discount, then great. If you want to move up after 5-10 years, you may find that you've lost serious ground to the rest of the market, and you have become "stuck" in Manor unless you take a 200K (relative) loss to make up the principle for a better area further west.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:08 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
I was kinda shocked looking at Shadow Glenn and seeing half million dollar homes, or at least that's Perry's asking price.

Manor already has most of the basic essentials and will slowly improve, just don't expect any quick major transformations. It will become a "go to" for Tesla employees since Manor > Del Valle and there aren't too many other alternatives besides various MUDs and expensive Austin.

The rail is listed as a "potential future expansion" but that would probably be at least 10 years out and still will only take you to the eastern edge of DT Austin

Old 11-28-2020, 10:42 AM

Just checked out Perry homes in Georgetown (Wolf Ranch) and they are only a tad higher than Manor's offerings. Wolf Ranch is within spitting distance of DT Georgetown, one of the nicest small town central areas in the state of Texas, plus lots of new retail just outside of it.. The difference in school districts from an investment standpoint alone (i.e. even if you don't have kids) between GT and Manor would be enough to sway me to the former. In sum don't pay premium suburban prices to live in Manor.

Makes me wonder if these new half million dollar homes in Manor were 100k less a few months ago before Tesla's announcement.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:11 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Just checked out Perry homes in Georgetown (Wolf Ranch) and they are only a tad higher than Manor's offerings. Wolf Ranch is within spitting distance of DT Georgetown, one of the nicest small town central areas in the state of Texas, plus lots of new retail just outside of it.. The difference in school districts from an investment standpoint alone (i.e. even if you don't have kids) between GT and Manor would be enough to sway me to the former. In sum don't pay premium suburban prices to live in Manor.

Makes me wonder if these new half million dollar homes in Manor were 100k less a few months ago before Tesla's announcement.
When I was looking, Manor seemed to consistently hold between $200 - $350k depending on the home, neighborhood, ect.

Most of the Tesla employees are going to be around $50 - $70k with a few execs pushing into the six figures so $400k (then add property tax) is going to be a bit on the high side for them I would think. I don’t particularly see Tesla alone changing that area outside of throwing up more homes.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
When I was looking, Manor seemed to consistently hold between $200 - $350k depending on the home, neighborhood, ect.

Most of the Tesla employees are going to be around $50 - $70k with a few execs pushing into the six figures so $400k (then add property tax) is going to be a bit on the high side for them I would think. I don’t particularly see Tesla alone changing that area outside of throwing up more homes.
Execs are not going to live east of 35. They’ll live in circle c and take Ben white into Del Valle. It’s a pretty easy commute.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

I'm beginning to think there are no more new homes that low. Just checked Hutto and the cheapest new home was 272k, so I would think Manor would be at least that if not more. Edit: Did find a small new home in Manor for $239k.

I've saw a recent article claiming up to 15,000 Tesla or Tesla-related jobs in the future, not 5,000. Makes sense when you consider the automotive sector is heavily dependent on suppliers.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:36 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I'm beginning to think there are no more new homes that low. Just checked Hutto and the cheapest new home was 272k, so I would think Manor would be at least that if not more. Edit: Did find a small new home in Manor for $239k.

I've saw a recent article claiming up to 15,000 Tesla or Tesla-related jobs in the future, not 5,000. Makes sense when you consider the automotive sector is heavily dependent on suppliers.
$300-350k seems to be about the regular for an average suburban home from what I've seen through most of Austin's suburbs besides the highly desirable ones out west.. ..or going far out to Liberty Hill or Georgetown.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:40 AM

242 posts, read 206,490 times
Is it getting "better"? It kind of HAS to because it can't get worse. Samsung built a 2 Billion dollar plant in Manor ISD over 10 years ago, and the schools are STILL the worst in Austin. Manor might go from terrible to bad becuase of Tesla in a best case scenario.

Tesla executives are not buying in Manor, and I don't know who is putting that out there to the media. Homebuilders? Manor city council? Unless they are buying houses to rent out as an investment. The plant was put there because the land is flat and cheap. Great for factories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin