Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 12:01 PM

242 posts, read 206,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post
Why would you pretend a state's boundary didn't exist? They do exist, and there are huge ramifications because of it. Small factors tip the scales in HUGE ways. Just look at Tesla, and how they moved a $5,000,000,000 factory across the state border to NV because of CA's tax code. Which side of a states' boundary you live and work on, has huge ramifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
FWIW Elon Musk’s issue in that specific scuffle was mostly with Alemeda County, The state had already reopened and permitted businesses to operate except Alemeda Co whom also defied state orders to allow reopenings. Although he had been touting about leaving California plenty of times in the past, I think this was more like the spark he needed to initiate it. It would be illogical to move from one part of the state to another part where the same thing may happen again so there is that but Elon had plans of building plants outside of California for a considerable period of time, but I don’t think he had plans of moving headquarters so abruptly, although that likely would have happened anyway though once he had more presence and establishment... It just wouldn’t have happened right this moment.
You are off by 6 years, Camaro:

Tesla broke ground on the Gigafactory in June 2014 outside Sparks, Nevada. The lawsuit against Alameda was March 2020

You are also confused about Musk moving the HQ, that hasn't happened.

Last edited by Swizzle Stick; 12-04-2020 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 01:32 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
You are off by 6 years, Camaro:

Tesla broke ground on the Gigafactory in June 2014 outside Sparks, Nevada. The lawsuit against Alameda was March 2020

You are also confused about Musk moving the HQ, that hasn't happened.
He was more recently this year speaking of moving his HQ to either NV or TX. Several corporations run operations outside of their HQ state, but I wouldn’t quite call that a relocation. More less another startup for additional operations. The facility that will be in Del Valle for example was intended to be constructed in Texas for some time, it was intended for their Cyber Truck Facility. There was additional talk however about moving their HQ to either NV or TX. That was likely flared by Alemeda Co.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ent...amphtml/350463

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rev...s-2033434/amp/

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-04-2020 at 01:47 PM..

Old 12-04-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
He was more recently this year speaking of moving his HQ to either NV or TX.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ent...amphtml/350463
Yes I'm aware, but you quoted my comment about the 2014 factory site selection, and said that it was because of a lawsuit filed in 2020.

Yes, he was speaking of moving HQ, but it's just talk so far. That being said, I would not be surprised if he followed through though. It would probably have more to do with the tax structure of CA, than it does with the feud he had with the Alameda county officials shutting down production at a factory.

Old 12-04-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Yes I'm aware, but you quoted my comment about the 2014 factory site selection, and said that it was because of a lawsuit filed in 2020.

Yes, he was speaking of moving HQ, but it's just talk so far. That being said, I would not be surprised if he followed through though. It would probably have more to do with the tax structure of CA, than it does with the feud he had with the Alameda county officials shutting down production at a factory.
Well truthfully I didn’t know about NV’s plant in 2014 but I did know they had intentions of looking there for their HQ.

Old 12-04-2020, 01:55 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,084 times
I work for a large semiconductor company headquartered in the South bay with offices all over the country. The Austin site is by far the largest and most R&D centric site of them all. Also home of the CEO. I worked at the Si Valley site for a four year stint and I can tell you there is a flood of engineering talent leaving the Bay Area for Austin. Is this the new Si Valley? Who knows, who cares. Austin is a huge tech hub and probably has more than enough already to have both supercharged our economy and wrecked our culture ... but more is coming. That's the similarity between Austin and the valley. Everything else is "different time and place."

Old 12-05-2020, 03:57 PM

67 posts, read 48,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
I work for a large semiconductor company headquartered in the South bay with offices all over the country. The Austin site is by far the largest and most R&D centric site of them all. Also home of the CEO. I worked at the Si Valley site for a four year stint and I can tell you there is a flood of engineering talent leaving the Bay Area for Austin. Is this the new Si Valley? Who knows, who cares. Austin is a huge tech hub and probably has more than enough already to have both supercharged our economy and wrecked our culture ... but more is coming. That's the similarity between Austin and the valley. Everything else is "different time and place."
Let me guess. The company starts with A and ends with a D haha.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:11 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,715,548 times
The term "Silicon Valley" is dated, but either way Austin lacks the venture investment to replicate it. Austin has fewer social problems and better government, but it is not in the same league when it comes to starting and building companies. Austin's strength is as a satellite, where it might be the #1 outpost for Bay Area-headquartered tech companies.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
The term "Silicon Valley" is dated, but either way Austin lacks the venture investment to replicate it. Austin has fewer social problems and better government, but it is not in the same league when it comes to starting and building companies. Austin's strength is as a satellite, where it might be the #1 outpost for Bay Area-headquartered tech companies.
Pretty much my opinion on this as well.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Well truthfully I didn’t know about NV’s plant in 2014 but I did know they had intentions of looking there for their HQ.
It turns out that Elon Musk may be moving here. 2nd richest man in the world. That will be interesting to see.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
It turns out that Elon Musk may be moving here. 2nd richest man in the world. That will be interesting to see.
I don’t know. I feel both ins and outs in these sort of deals

Sadly I feel Tulsa or Las Vegas (especially now) or maybe Reno NV could have used this as well as his CyberTruck facility much more than we need it. I like how Austin attracts these high end companies but in a sense It’s kind of concerning that Austin is the only place they seem to be considering mainly because there are dying rust belt cities of which people are fleeing... Jobs there are leaving for low tax states as well. When jobs leave, people leave. I feel besides the COL factors, that the jobs would be the second most responsible for exodus’s than the weather or politics. MSP / Denver for example have harsh weather but are still attracting jobs and growth. Then there are countless swaths of the nation that could use economic investment. I believe Elon is also using Federal Money to build his Cyber Truck facility. If that is that case it would be rather unfair for those metros who are in much more need of this sort of investment to have had to pay for this move through their tax dollars. The relocations of these businesses (especially from unionized states) to southern states is also giving them much more control over both the employer market (by literally siphoning populations to their new hubs).

The above may be a fairly weak argument but it’s to emphasize that I feel that there are places that need this more than we do, especially if it’s true that federal dollars are being used to fund these relocations / new operations.

On the other side of the coin, it is perfectly legitimate. I can’t say that it isn’t. It’s a capitalistic free market economy, Elon has a right to choose any location and site of his choice. Austin ticks all the boxes in what his HQ would need to operate where many locations in stronger economic need may not. It will definitely help the local economy and... ...it will definitely bring more growth (for better or for worse as some may feel, I particularly am indifferent about growth)

It will be interesting I suppose but some of me is also feeling that Austin particularly is in much less need of this than other potentially qualified candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin