Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 2,669 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of driving from San Francisco to Austin TX in Dec to check out places since I have to move due to work. I am wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to drive without having to deal with the snow? I know it doesn't snow in Austin TX but does it snow in my route? Any way to avoid it?
Also, is it possible to drive in 3 days instead of 4 days?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 12:15 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,520,866 times
Hi. I’m originally from SF but live here now. I’ve made that journey many, many times. You *may* encounter some snow in NM and AZ but unless it’s blizzard levels of weather, the interstate will be well-groomed and dry and you should do fine. So far it’s been a very mild winter and you may see no snow at all. You most likely won’t see any in Texas at all. It’s all dependent of course on the forecast but the southern route between CA and TX is usually winter safe.

We usually leave early, and stay one night in Phoenix and one night in El Paso. You can definitely do it in three days of driving.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:19 PM

181 posts, read 160,302 times
Google Map is pretty straight forward. They recommend the route I had in mind; drive down to LA then take I-10 all the way. Can't imagine there'd be snow on that route. Google also says 27 hours. No reason you couldn't get there in two days each way. If you mean 3 days roundtrip, possible but I don't recommend. Without a second driver you're probably endangering your life and others; not to mention the fact that you won't even have time to get a feel for Austin's layout.

I've done Austin to LA many years ago in about 23 hours? Had a back up driver I switched off with, and didn't stop. Very miserable.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:28 PM

We avoid LA entirely and go from I-5 through the Tehachapi Pass (Hwy 58) then out to I-10. Driving through LA at the beginning of a trip that long can make you question your sanity.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:54 PM

11,852 posts, read 8,070,074 times
CA-58 meets I-40 not I-10, you have to come down I-15 into LA to get to I-10 -- There's a few back roads in the desert I guess you can hop between though like U.S. 95 or U.S. 93.

LA should be okay to drive through right now given the Pandemic

I went U.S. 101 to LA (scenic), catch I-210, head East to I-10, everything on I-10 should be fine as far as snow goes. I-40 is higher elevation through Arizona and New Mexico for much longer stretches so your chances of meeting snow are much higher.

You can do I-5 too but I find U.S. 101 more interesting, although its also longer.

I remember when CA-58 wasn't fully freeway standards in some areas, mainly east of the mountains. Most of that has changed though, its a pretty nice road. I personally feel it needs to be re-signed as I-40.

As for driving it in 3 or 4 days? I personally could probably pull it off in 2 days or less but I drive super long hours. The distance between routes however doesn't really change that drastically. The environments is what changes the most.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:54 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,146,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybear3529 View Post
I am thinking of driving from San Francisco to Austin TX in Dec to check out places since I have to move due to work. I am wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to drive without having to deal with the snow? I know it doesn't snow in Austin TX but does it snow in my route? Any way to avoid it?
Also, is it possible to drive in 3 days instead of 4 days?

Thanks!
If you try to go on 40 which is much more scenic you are going to hit snow. the non-snow route is going to be to go south to la and get on 10 and then go east but is not scenic at all. You will can still hit snow in the mountains crossing into texas.

My personal opinion is that even with covid, flying is much safer than driving. Try to get an N95 mask which protects you more than others (they are not really allowed in california) and try to get a nonstop so you dont have to hang out in an extra airport.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
CA-58 meets I-40 not I-10, you have to come down I-15 into LA to get to I-10 -- There's a few back roads in the desert I guess you can hop between though like U.S. 95 or U.S. 93.

We use U.S.Route 95. It’s not a back road.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
If you try to go on 40 which is much more scenic you are going to hit snow. the non-snow route is going to be to go south to la and get on 10 and then go east but is not scenic at all. You will can still hit snow in the mountains crossing into texas.

My personal opinion is that even with covid, flying is much safer than driving. Try to get an N95 mask which protects you more than others (they are not really allowed in california) and try to get a nonstop so you dont have to hang out in an extra airport.
I agree with 97 here. I’ve flown to CA and back twice during COVID on nonstop flights wearing an N-95 and found the experience very easy - planes were half-empty every time. 3-1/2 hours versus 3 days in a car with multiple stops for gas, food, and motels .... ehhh ... I’d fly.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:20 PM

11,852 posts, read 8,070,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
We use U.S.Route 95. It’s not a back road.
Fair point, I haven't used U.S. 95 between I-40 and Phoenix though. I have used it between I-40 and Las Vegas though. Supposedly it is going to be converted into an interstate (I-11) over time. Because the way I drive (I tend mostly to try to get as much over with as possible in as short of time as possible) I try my best not to deviate from freeways. For me personally they are more predictable, easier to manage cruise control and passing opportunities, and more forgiving to fatigue in the event you do get tired and have nowhere to stop.

Edit: Disregard the above, I was thinking U.S. 93. I've never used U.S. 95.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Fair point, I haven't used U.S. 95 between I-40 and Phoenix though. I have used it between I-40 and Las Vegas though. Supposedly it is going to be converted into an interstate (I-11) over time. Because the way I drive (I tend mostly to try to get as much over with as possible in as short of time as possible) I try my best not to deviate from freeways. For me personally they are more predictable, easier to manage cruise control and passing opportunities, and more forgiving to fatigue in the event you do get tired and have nowhere to stop.
It comes down to whether or not one wants to avoid LA. For San Franciscans, taking 80 to 580 to 205 to 5 then south is a smooth direct route. It will get you down to Bakersfield quick. From there you either A) climb the Grapevine then enter urban traffic insanity, or B) kick back and take the chill desert route. 101 from SF to LA takes forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin