Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 11:21 PM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It’s an extraordinary time waster. I love it.

And your dream world of flying cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
flying cars already exist. They just need to be mass produced.

Here are some examples of passenger drones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBD4FdTz-yE
I'm actually not much into flying cars. I'm personally afraid of heights. I took one shot at flying a Cessna when I was a kid (pre-9/11 this was possible with a licensed instructor).. ..5,000 feet, hit turbulence, saw the whole city below me, I freaked out. He had to take over.

But since this is a thread about Elon Musk, maybe he will invent a way out of Austin's traffic problems .. and since California is just so pro in moving here, they should bring their traffic signals with them. California traffic signal intuition is the best I've seen in the nation. They're extremely awesome.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-14-2020 at 11:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 06:53 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I looked it up and the last name Musk is Dutch.
He is from South Africa, of Afrikaans (Dutch) ethnic background. Technically African-American now? Lol

Old 12-15-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm actually not much into flying cars. I'm personally afraid of heights. I took one shot at flying a Cessna when I was a kid (pre-9/11 this was possible with a licensed instructor).. ..5,000 feet, hit turbulence, saw the whole city below me, I freaked out. He had to take over.

But since this is a thread about Elon Musk, maybe he will invent a way out of Austin's traffic problems .. and since California is just so pro in moving here, they should bring their traffic signals with them. California traffic signal intuition is the best I've seen in the nation. They're extremely awesome.
Austin’s traffic signal system is an uncoordinated clusterbomb, and has been for decades. I recall many years ago that the Federal government gave Austin a $250,000 grant to synchronize the traffic lights on its major thoroughfares, but instead the city squandered it all on some pet project.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:24 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Austin’s traffic signal system is an uncoordinated clusterbomb, and has been for decades. I recall many years ago that the Federal government gave Austin a $250,000 grant to synchronize the traffic lights on its major thoroughfares, but instead the city squandered it all on some pet project.
My least favorite light system right now is Hwy 71 at Riverside. The turn signal is beyond infuriating. The signal at Montopolis and the new toll road is of a pretty similar pattern and is equally as frustrating. Maybe Elon will send some money to the city he "lives in" to fix it.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:41 AM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Yea I have to admit for a city labeled as such a high tech metro our traffic signals are pretty terrible.

Here on 183 the signal coordination with the railroad crossings are terrible. Normally when a train comes, the signal facing the crossing will have to override the flow of traffic to allow cars potentially sitting on the tracks to cross and clear the intersection to reduce the risk of a car / train collision, which is fine and ours do that... problem is they’re staying green long after the gates have come down and the train is crossing keeping traffic parallel (non-impeded) with the crossing sitting there waiting for nothing but ghosts for a long time while the train sometimes even completes the crossing. They all do it up and down 183 in Leander. I was thinking of emailing the city but I highly doubt they will do anything about it. I did email them for a ridiculously short left turn arrow onto San Gabriel. It let’s like 3 cars go and turns red. They told me they would look into it but haven’t seen anything happen since. The signal on San Gabriel and the toll road turns into a 4 way stop every weekend it seems.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Because they appear to be white.
If you are born in Africa and live in the USA, you are African American. Skin color is irrelevant.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The 'African' in African American is referring to an ethnicity, not a nationality. The same for Asian American. The 'American', of course, is a nationality. So African American really only refers to American citizens of African ethnicity. Elon is not African American.
That's your definition and that's OK.

For me, anybody born in Africa and living in the USA is African American.

Anybody born in the USA and living in the USA is American.

Saying that only black skinned people can be Africans is like saying only white skinned people can be Americans.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:55 PM

Well, if you didn’t vote for Biden you ain’t black!

Old 12-15-2020, 03:43 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

Saying that only black skinned people can be Africans is like saying only white skinned people can be Americans.
'My' definition is the general one accepted by most people. You can make up your own niche one if you like, though. The US census defines African American as "Americans with total or partial ancestry from any of the black racial groups of Africa". US law defines AA as "citizens or residents of the United States who have origins in any of the black populations of Africa".

Africa is a continent made up of a large number of countries, it is not a country. America is a country within the confines of the North America continent. American does not in any way equate with African. African refers to ethnicity and not country of origin. There is no one that is a citizen of 'Africa'.

Old 12-15-2020, 03:52 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

So if you are black and born in the USA you aren't African American???

Because that is what the term means.

African Americans (also referred to as Black Americans or Afro-Americans)[4] are an ethnic group of Americans with total or partial ancestry from any of the black racial groups of Africa.[5][6] The term African American generally denotes descendants of enslaved black people who are from the United States,[7][8][9] while some recent black immigrants or their children may also come to identify as African-American or may identify differently.[10

Elon is a South African or rather an Afrikaner American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin