Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 01:54 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I think you have cp, rr, gt, and pf about right.

if you have a house in san diego I think it will be tough to ever move back if you sell so keep that in mind.

I personally would try to get closer to downtown if possible, south of the arboretum so you have a reverse commute. Even CP to the arboretum isnt bad but to downtown is bad. The "north austin civic association" area (aka quail creek) has been threatening to gentrify for 20 years and finally is. It is very close to the domain and close to the new soccer stadium. You can still get a 1200 sq ft house for 350K there but it might need work.

If you live there, you will be close to the population center of austin and can work almost anywhere in the city if you switch jobs.

I live in Orange County now. If I had a house in San Diego, I definitely wouldn't ever leave. The job market in San Diego is very limited for what I do. I'll never make enough there to be able to afford a house. I loved it there. I suppose I should adjust my location...I'll just wait til I move

Yea, your last line is why I'm leading towards being closer. I could transit into a government position down the road with this new job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-HomeGirl View Post
I would suggest that you also consider Hutto, Taylor, Liberty Hill. The further out, the (slightly) less difficulty you will have in finding a home to purchase in this market

We went to Taylor...too small town for my mom. She lives in a pretty small town now (40k is small in Southern CA) and wouldn't want to live in anything smaller. Hutto looked nice but we dealt with a ton of traffic passing that street with all the new homes. Maybe. We were there for just 36 hours. I'll look into Liberty Hill, haven't looked into that area at all. Is it like Manor? My buddy lives there, visited him last year. I can tell that area is going to expand alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
If you're apologizing because you think there's a lot of Californians in Austin, KVUE ran a story awhile ago stating it was only 6%. It seems like it's actually more of a myth than reality.

Really? Cool. I felt like I'm gonna be a pariah with my California accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 02:28 PM

596 posts, read 302,523 times
Here's the report Dub

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kvu...c-c95b32bc5ec6

Old 01-15-2021, 03:21 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Honestly, most people relocating are from within the state. I think there was an article about that too. Maybe 7-10 years ago it was a lot of Californians, but I’m from San Antonio and moved here in 2015.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Honestly, most people relocating are from within the state. I think there was an article about that too. Maybe 7-10 years ago it was a lot of Californians, but I’m from San Antonio and moved here in 2015.
According to the KVUE link...

From that number, more than half of the people – 53.2% – who moved to Austin were just from a different part of Texas

Old 01-15-2021, 04:33 PM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
I sure do see alot of Cali tags though.

I believe that New York and Florida surpassed Cali in migrations to Austin. I think I read that somewhere.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

I believe that New York and Florida surpassed Cali in migrations to Austin. I think I read that somewhere.
They would have had to have had quite a jump over the last year or two based on the Austin Chamber of Conference numbers.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:11 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
According to the KVUE link...

From that number, more than half of the people – 53.2% – who moved to Austin were just from a different part of Texas
Quote:

At my apartment I see license plates for South Carolina, Vermont, Oregon, Florida, Minnesota, and California. That’s just me thinking off the top of my head. I’m sure I’ve missed some. And Texas plates from dealers all over the state. And I think I’m a pretty good representation of hipster tech, new Austin over here off 183 and Montopolis.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
They would have had to have had quite a jump over the last year or two based on the Austin Chamber of Conference numbers.
This is what I read I think: https://www.kut.org/austin/2015-08-2...lifornia-or-ny

Quote:
Kelsey says, California’s in third place. New York is in second. The data puts Florida is in first place, for which, Kelsey says, there are a couple of reasons.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-15-2021 at 05:22 PM..

Old 01-15-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
The article is dated 2015. The info seems to be from 2012-2013.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
The article is dated 2015
True. I’m only stating that I read that somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin