Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 02:20 PM

34 posts, read 25,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
My elderly father (category 1B) lives in Austin and what's going on down there is ridiculous. There is little to no information on county or city sites and all of the places listed as providers don't have vaccines to give. He has computer access but gets confused and easily frustrated so he calls me to help him although I can't find much more information than he finds. My only success has been weeding through vague online general non-information (that confuses and angers him until he gives up) thereby getting him signed up with Tarrytown Pharmacy, Austin Public Health, and CVS but he's still waiting. I'd have thought the hospital where all of his doctors are would be of help but they don't have vaccines, either, and don't have a sign-up list. We're in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and many we know in his category are getting their vaccines left and right with some starting to get their second. It's well-run up here. I don't get it.
If you got the shot it's well run, if no, it's not. I'm 1A in DFW and know plenty who have heard nada whereas our 1B folks in Austin have gotten theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 02:23 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman2521 View Post
If you got the shot it's well run, if no, it's not. I'm 1A in DFW and know plenty who have heard nada whereas our 1B folks in Austin have gotten theirs.
I talked to someone this weekend about hunting down a second vaccine for 1A folks.

Old 01-27-2021, 02:37 PM

663 posts, read 433,666 times
Quote:
My elderly father (category 1B) lives in Austin and what's going on down there is ridiculous. There is little to no information on county or city sites and all of the places listed as providers don't have vaccines to give. He has computer access but gets confused and easily frustrated so he calls me to help him although I can't find much more information than he finds. My only success has been weeding through vague online general non-information (that confuses and angers him until he gives up) thereby getting him signed up with Tarrytown Pharmacy, Austin Public Health, and CVS but he's still waiting. I'd have thought the hospital where all of his doctors are would be of help but they don't have vaccines, either, and don't have a sign-up list. We're in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and many we know in his category are getting their vaccines left and right with some starting to get their second. It's well-run up here. I don't get it.

Here is a link to try.In the info it says for UT students and Staff, but later it says "As a COVID-19 vaccination hub designated by the Texas Department of State Health Services, The University of Texas at Austin offers vaccinations to all Texans who meet current eligibility criteria." I registered my Mom a week ago and heard nothing, but it is another option.

https://uthealthaustin.org/patient-r...19-vaccination
Another option is to watch HEB for openings. I have not registered Mom for CVS yet, will go there next. She is almost 92.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:40 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
williamson county is well run, austin public health, terrible. This is a case where the fedgov or at the very least the state could have built software that each entity could use to do their scheduling and tracking.

Instead everyone is using different software and it barely works, crashes, has big holes so people can bypass lines, etc.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:56 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,902 times
Quote:
Not trying to be an ass, but there are other options in town including Family Hospital Systems in Cedar Park and Bell County about an hour north. Get on those lists too. UT is becoming a hub...get on their list. Check the vaccine list each week to see who is getting it next week and get on their lists. Demand exceeds supply right now. I’m not going to defend Austin Public Health, but there are many eligible people who can’t get the vaccine right now, but it’s a supply issue.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:16 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevv View Post
Here is a link to try.In the info it says for UT students and Staff, but later it says "As a COVID-19 vaccination hub designated by the Texas Department of State Health Services, The University of Texas at Austin offers vaccinations to all Texans who meet current eligibility criteria." I registered my Mom a week ago and heard nothing, but it is another option.

https://uthealthaustin.org/patient-r...19-vaccination
Another option is to watch HEB for openings. I have not registered Mom for CVS yet, will go there next. She is almost 92.
Thank you for this information. I did not know of this source and completed the application so he'll have another option. It's sometimes difficult to manage things for him from a distance and this whole COVID situation has added another layer. He received acknowledgment messages from Tarrytown Pharmacy a few weeks ago about scheduling an appointment but nothing definitive yet. We hope this location will work since it's near his home but he'll take whatever he can get. It's been radio silence from Austin Public Health and CVS. I offered to sign him up in Tarrant County (where we live) where they're vaccinating 1B candidates but he shuts me down hard and fast.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:29 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlastic View Post
Not trying to be an ass, but there are other options in town including Family Hospital Systems in Cedar Park and Bell County about an hour north. Get on those lists too. UT is becoming a hub...get on their list. Check the vaccine list each week to see who is getting it next week and get on their lists. Demand exceeds supply right now. I’m not going to defend Austin Public Health, but there are many eligible people who can’t get the vaccine right now, but it’s a supply issue.
I understand that it's a supply issue and we're doing the best we can managing this from a distance. We worry about him driving around his 35th/Lamar/Mopac area as it is so we'd prefer to find something relatively close to him. I will check sources in outlying areas, however, to see what I can find out so thank you for the idea. We'd go down there and take him, of course, but as much as he wants the vaccine he'll resist going too far out of town. To him, The Domain is out in the sticks.

Last edited by kt2le; 01-27-2021 at 04:47 PM..

Old 01-28-2021, 11:53 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
After weeks of my mom (1B) registering on every site and checking for appointments daily like it's her job, she was finally able to get an appointment through APH for tomorrow. She called me nearly in tears.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:59 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlastic View Post
My mom has been on every list available, including Bell County, and has probably spent three hours a day, every day, for the last three weeks trying to get an appointment. This morning she was finally able to get an appointment. It just happens to be through APH, and it was just dumb luck. She just did her regular routine of refreshing pages over and over again, and an appointment popped up.

I worry about the older population that doesn't have a computer, smart phone, internet access, etc. How are they supposed to get appointments?

Old 01-28-2021, 02:13 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Call their doctor’s office or local clinic for guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin