Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2021, 06:21 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
There is a very high probability at my company that they will encourage WFH for people that would like to. They have sent out surveys to get a feel for what people think/want so that they can plan better for office space.

I think it is likely that office space may go down in price (or increase more slowly) in the near future. We are negotiating our renewal on one of our offices and I am pretty sure that reduced office space vs $/ft2 is part of the discussion.
Our 6K square ft is up at the end of the month. About 30% of people said they definitely want to work from an office, an additional 30% said they would like to occasionally. Once people get vaccinated we will get office space again.

I do think we will try to locate in a retail center instead of traditional office space to be more walkable. Im hoping I can catch the bottom of real estate prices. I wish my lease had ended last year as I would have saved a lot of $$. As it is we might be getting new space as soon as july/aug which only saved about 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 07:57 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
People have really short memories; but I reckon the amount of money involved mixed with the lifestyle changes of the last 12 months WILL have some lasting impact.
There is one insurance firm down the road that says 700 employees from that campus will remain WFH. That's a chunk from ONE business.
I work as a contractor for a branch of the federal government, and although nothing has been said, I think we will be given the option to WFH for good. And not just the contractors, but the government employees as well.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:06 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Well. It’s been a week and no word on the house. Their realtor thinks almost certainly that there was st least one cash offer. It was a gorgeous house.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:01 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Just a wondering...I wonder what effect this power fiasco will have on out of town relocation? If I were moving from outside of the state I’d be hard pressed to continue to relocation at this point. And then, those that were going to list, will there be several listings in the coming weeks?

Old 02-18-2021, 11:22 AM

109 posts, read 83,551 times
People have short attention span. I am confident this whole situation will be forgotten in a month just like it did in 2011

Old 02-18-2021, 07:32 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Just a wondering...I wonder what effect this power fiasco will have on out of town relocation? If I were moving from outside of the state I’d be hard pressed to continue to relocation at this point. And then, those that were going to list, will there be several listings in the coming weeks?

As someone in this exact situation I'm hoping others are stupid enough to be deterred from a once in a generation weather event.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:42 PM

3,081 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
As someone in this exact situation I'm hoping others are stupid enough to be deterred from a once in a generation weather event.

Not likely. Many folks are coming from places like Cali, where crazy catastrophic events (e.g. wild fires, earthquakes, governors covid responses) and the govt mismanagement of such events are rather common place. Any dip will be short at best as the reason why folks want to move here ($$$) has not been fundamentally changed by these events.

Act quick if you can, the window is tight.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:55 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Yup that’s me. Coming from California. You nailed it.

I lived in Orlando so I’m familiar with natural disasters.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:10 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axorb View Post
People have short attention span. I am confident this whole situation will be forgotten in a month just like it did in 2011
Yep. Which is why all the chuckleheads who are responsible for this mess will be reelected.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:51 AM

104 posts, read 70,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Yep. Which is why all the chuckleheads who are responsible for this mess will be reelected.
Maybe, and maybe not. Depending on where the transplants are coming from. I'm coming from Chicago and with me a blue vote. I suspect many Californians and NY-ans are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin