Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 11:45 AM

28 posts, read 23,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
We’re still waiting to hear back on the house we put in an offer on three weeks ago. There are 27 offers. We didn’t put in an offer too much above asking or ask for too much, so we’re getting it. But, still. Like I said in another thread, rent first if you’re relocating.

Was your parents realtor able to get any insight? I wonder if the owner started talks with a offer and they are waiting to clear contingencies (inspection, financing etc).

Could your parents write a letter and submit it through your realtor to be considered as a back up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 11:53 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
My point isnt that we are awesome. But that power in texas is overall very stable. We get a lot of short outages, but rarely get long ones. Our outages are typically in the summer.

here are examples of washington outages. We simply dont have as many outages of this scale as often. On a per capita basis, northern states lose power much more often than texas.

You don't get it. You're not going to get it. The northeast was as prepared as they reasonably could be for Sandy. And there were still no where near the number of people without power during Sandy as there were during this mess. There were about 3 million MORE people in Texas without power during this event then there were during Sandy. And the number of people left without power after Hurricane Ike, for comparison, was about the same as Sandy. So the one, big hurricane they had up north resulted in about the same outages as big hurricanes here. But tell me again how their system is worse? BTW, I don't think Texas is unprepared for hurricanes, but I think there is only so much anyone can do, whether that's here or in the northeast.

I would gladly take a 6 hour outage every now and then to a 6 days outage. The reason this is such big news all over the world is because outages of this magnitude just don't happen, not even in hurricanes.

The preparations Texas could have made for this event were much more realistic and pressing, which is why it was recommended to them years ago, and on more than one occasion. Texas chose to completely ignore and disregard the warnings and recommendations. No place in the northeast blatantly ignored such recommendations.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:18 PM

9,849 posts, read 13,690,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyreader View Post
Was your parents realtor able to get any insight? I wonder if the owner started talks with a offer and they are waiting to clear contingencies (inspection, financing etc).

Could your parents write a letter and submit it through your realtor to be considered as a back up?
It was a gorgeous house. We’re not even in back-up running, I don’t think. They aren’t in a rush. Shoot they’ve been “looking” since about 2000.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:28 PM

Just heard back on the house they out and offer in on in early March. 4/2 a bit over 2k sq ft on .67 acre lot. Listed for 386k and sold at 447k. They offered like 390k and knew they’d be out but good lord.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:40 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Just heard back on the house they out and offer in on in early March. 4/2 a bit over 2k sq ft on .67 acre lot. Listed for 386k and sold at 447k. They offered like 390k and knew they’d be out but good lord.
It's become the reality that any home listed in the 250-300s range is really 100,000 over that. Very disappointing for local buyers.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It's become the reality that any home listed in the 250-300s range is really 100,000 over that. Very disappointing for local buyers.
It's so lame. I'm over it and just want them to find a house. There was one in onion creek that looked promising for 430k but that's going to go for at least 500k and it was like just barely 2k sqft and needed at least 30k in updating. And that's not even estimating the bump in price because it's actually "Austin" and not a suburb.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:46 AM

539 posts, read 440,382 times
Quote:
It's so lame. I'm over it and just want them to find a house. There was one in onion creek that looked promising for 430k but that's going to go for at least 500k and it was like just barely 2k sqft and needed at least 30k in updating. And that's not even estimating the bump in price because it's actually "Austin" and not a suburb.
Do your parents have to live in Austin, or the Austin area?

Old 03-16-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
Do your parents have to live in Austin, or the Austin area?
Read my first post and you’ll see their target area.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:44 PM

539 posts, read 440,382 times
Quote:
Read my first post and you’ll see their target area.
right. Do they HAVE to live there? That is the question.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
right. Do they HAVE to live there? That is the question.
That’s where they want to be. There’s no wiggle room. Just like families want to be in Leander for schools and views. This is where they want to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin