Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 12:55 PM

539 posts, read 441,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
That’s where they want to be. There’s no wiggle room. Just like families want to be in Leander for schools and views. This is where they want to be.
I guess we all have the right to live where we want, then? What if there is no homes available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 01:02 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
I guess we all have the right to live where we want, then? What if there is no homes available?
If you read my post, again, this is a prolonged search. They’ll wait. But they’re tired of waiting.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:19 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
The OP's family currently has a residence in Austin area, they're not moving here from outside the metro so they are not in 'need' to purchase immediately. They have the option to be a bit picky. The main issue is the exuberate housing demand is making finding a suitable choice more difficult.. ..As for waiting, I don't know for sure that this bubble is going to end anytime soon, if it ever does. Not trying to play devils advocate but year over year Austin's real estate prices continue only to inflate, its why I purchased earlier than I wanted to... ...although I will say the Pandemic greatly assisted what we are currently undergoing and this was vastly unexpected for most of us.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The OP's family currently has a residence in Austin area, they're not moving here from outside the metro so they are not in 'need' to purchase immediately. They have the option to be a bit picky. The main issue is the exuberate housing demand is making finding a suitable choice more difficult.. ..As for waiting, I don't know for sure that this bubble is going to end anytime soon, if it ever does. Not trying to play devils advocate but year over year Austin's real estate prices continue only to inflate, its why I purchased earlier than I wanted to... ...although I will say the Pandemic greatly assisted what we are currently undergoing and this was vastly unexpected for most of us.
Not necessarily metro area, but central Texas region.

And as far as the bubble is concerned, I can take the rise in prices, as long as there's more to choose from. It doesn't bode well for me personally, whenever i get my life together and can buy, but , for my family, they can afford a bit of the bubble, if there were more available.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 03-16-2021 at 03:00 PM..

Old 03-16-2021, 02:52 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
The inventory is nothing right now. Or is that just me with my results?

Old 03-16-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
It's nothing. The potential one i mentioned in Onion Creek was posted Thursday afternoon and was under contract last night.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:15 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Not necessarily metro area, but central Texas region.

And as far as the bubble is concerned, I can take the rise in prices, as long as there's more to choose from. It doesn't bode well for me personally, whenever i get my life together and can buy, but , for my family, they can afford a bit of the bubble, if there were more available.
a lot are staying put. while there is an incentive to sell if you are relocating to another state, preferably cheaper, there is NO incentive to sell now. I'm glad we've done our 'move up' as the homes that are in any way comparable are far more expensive. For the amount we paid years ago we'd get a home now that I'd consider a downgrade.

checked out another home for sale in my neighborhood - listed at 675k, has multiple offer situation. somewhat updated, no pool, but .57 acre lot backs to woodland.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
a lot are staying put. while there is an incentive to sell if you are relocating to another state, preferably cheaper, there is NO incentive to sell now. I'm glad we've done our 'move up' as the homes that are in any way comparable are far more expensive. For the amount we paid years ago we'd get a home now that I'd consider a downgrade.

checked out another home for sale in my neighborhood - listed at 675k, has multiple offer situation. somewhat updated, no pool, but .57 acre lot backs to woodland.
Yeah. I know why it's a cluster **** right now. And I'm put in over asking for a house that backed up to a greenbelt at .57 acres.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:58 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
much less inventory than usual. That is why this is an actual bubble. The people that buy now will have to wait a few years for the market to catch up with what they paid.

Once covid is over, normal amounts of inventory will come into the market and prices in the highest bubble areas will reset.

I monitor nw hills, riverplace, steiner, and jester. Riverplace has zero homes. NW hills had a few, but today there were zero.

A friend is selling in steiner. Her agent recommended 1.2M for a 3400 sq ft house. That is ridiculous, but it will probably go for mid 800s. they are doing a pocket listing with no price set (to do price discovery) so it wont hit MLS.

My parents bought a new build in leander last year for about 550K (3400 sq ft) on 1 acre. It is probably 700-800k now. It took them almost 2 years to sell their home in a relatively stagnant area. They sold it for a little less than the price they paid 20 years ago.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:08 PM

Saw a house that said “coming soon” in onion creek tonight. Going to try hard to push them to t least reach out about it to see if it’s within budget. It’s questionable, but I feel like that’s the only way to get a house right now. Put in the offer before it’s even on the mls and their realtor isn’t going **** to find any pocket listings right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin