Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 04:41 AM

39 posts, read 61,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiveone View Post
I have bid at both Bluffview and Travisso in Jan 2021.

At Bluffiew for 70ft lot (lot 32) - I bid over 200K, but I still did NOT win the bid.

I have also bid for a lot in Travisso for a similar amount and I DID win the bid.

I hate to be buying a house in such a competitive and insane market, but it is what it is.

Hope that helps.
Wow! How many sq ft is the lot you bid on? Does it have a view at least? That’s serious money for a lot in Leander
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 06:12 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,572,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Its not exclusive to Austin. Boise ID is in the same boat. no inventory, heavily inflated real estate. In reality, many cities are experiencing it, but have more inventory than Austin metro does so the affect on costs are dampened. Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh Durham, and even NW Arkansas (Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, ect..) are also experiencing heavy growth, gentrification, and especially, RE costs explosions. Austin however did rank #1 in terms of the hottest RE Market currently according to Zillow. They're moving everywhere, but Austin was for the most part still playing catch-up to growth pre-pandemic, let alone was it prepared to take on the droves of people moving to it during the mass exoduses from CA, NY, ect... The effect will be very similar to what happened to Seattle between 2010 and currently...where Austin's only saving grace will be that it has more room to feasibly expand...but that will happen much slower than people will come, so prices will continue to rise.

The en-masse exodus to smaller cities from much more expensive metro's, creates an artificial real estate bubble for the locals, of which the average local will not be able to contend with.. and another thing I guess something I've been concerned about is if their local economies will be able to support it. Right now many of them are working remotely, and there are many more who are moving here per job relocation, but should they suddenly be asked to return to the office, what happens when they all suddenly end up on the job market at once? It may create a very competitive job market which locals may not be able to compete is anywhere near as easily as before.
Boise is a completely different story. I remember watching an episode of House Hunters in Boisr years ago and hearing something similar, that that inventory was low, but it had to do with public/private land issues, not people moving to Boise because it was a fun, hip place to live. (Although I have cousins in Idaho who may say it is fun and hip). It’s comparing apples to oranges.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:12 AM

11,660 posts, read 7,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Boise is a completely different story. I remember watching an episode of House Hunters in Boisr years ago and hearing something similar, that that inventory was low, but it had to do with public/private land issues, not people moving to Boise because it was a fun, hip place to live. (Although I have cousins in Idaho who may say it is fun and hip). It’s comparing apples to oranges.
It's not Austin, but it has quite a bit of surprising features in the aspect of greenways, trails, ect and is a outdoorsy city. Boise is attracting many people from the coastal cities who are trying to escape the extreme CoL of San Fran, Portland, and Seattle. I've been to it and was quite surprised by what was out there as I personally thought it would be a pass through city with 4 or 5 exits max.

Boise is among the top destinations for relocating Californians currently:
https://state2statemovers.com/state-...rnians-moving/
https://abc7news.com/moving-out-of-c...y%202000's.
https://californiamoversusa.com/reso...om-california/

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-29-2021 at 07:33 AM..

Old 01-29-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
It's not Austin, but it has quite a bit of surprising features in the aspect of greenways, trails, ect and is a outdoorsy city. Boise is attracting many people from the coastal cities who are trying to escape the extreme CoL of San Fran, Portland, and Seattle. I've been to it and was quite surprised by what was out there as I personally thought it would be a pass through city with 4 or 5 exits max.

From listening to my cousins I believe it's got some great things. My point was that it's not "the" destination for most people. We have a lack of supply in desirable areas. If people wanted to just be in the metro area they have options, Elgin, Manor, Del Valle, Nierderwald, etc. But people "have" to be in Leander and Dripping Springs and Westlake. Boise it's a lack of actual supply because the land is not available because people can't buy it. We just have a bunch of entitled snots moving here who want their California in Texas (this is a generalization).

Old 01-29-2021, 08:03 AM

I personally didn’t sell a $1 Million home when I moved here and my buying options at the time were limited so I rented for approximately 2 years before buying. I don’t know many California relocatees first hand so I can’t personally make an opinion of them. My personal opinion is it all falls under supply and demand. I don’t necessarily feel that they feel entitled (be mindful that many of them have much more buying power than myself) but maybe a better term is mal-educated (due to the hype) and very hasty on making big decisions. At the same time though, being realistic if I were living in California given everything happening there, I probably wouldn’t be much different in that aspect.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:03 AM

11 posts, read 19,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
200k - that's absolutely nuts and not worth it! Seriously, guys...what is so special about getting a new house in that subdivision? Are you bidding on large lots with hill country views? No? Then spending that much is crazy for Leander. I know y'all have money to spend and want something nice and shiny, but you have to pause for a second.
Please remember that different people have different priorities.

It's not necessarily the lot size or the views or getting a nice and shiny house. It's about what can you get at this moment, why do you need to buy at this moment, and whether you like what you are buying. It's not like there is a choice of 50 lots and you are choosing a lot.

Also, when you plan to live in the house for 10-12 years, I believe the additional premium that people are paying really doesn't matter.

When you have young kids, you don't want to move often. The stability you provide them by buying a house in a good neighboor and letting them build bonds with neighborhood kids by staying there for 10-12 years is much better in my opinion rather than staying in an apartment for a couple of years, looking for a used home, hoping that the prices go down. There is no guarantee that the prices go down a year from now.

If another Californian Tech company announces that they are moving workforce to Austin, which is highly probable right now than some company saying they are moving out of Austin, the home prices have only on way to go. Agreed, the inventory short supply situation might be over in a few months - might - not a certainty. People who can wait for market to cool down, will wait. But, people who can't wait, won't wait, just lik me, even though you know that it's really a seller's market now. Austin will have net positive population inflow for foreseeable future. Zillow predicts Austin to be the hottest RE market in 2021, for a reason.

BTW, the prices for the new homes are in sync with what's happening with used home sales. If you see sales that are happening right now in Travisso and other neighborhoods, for a similar sized lot and similar house plan, they are selling upwards of $800 -$900K plus. Also, it's not like there is significant inventory of used homes. Each house is receiving 30-40 bids higher than asking price.

As someone pointed out, this is not isolated to Austin, may be the magnitide is different in Austin. This is happening across all sunbelt cities. I know for a fact how the market is in Atlanta, where a builder increased price by $30K in 2 weeks.

You might not like what's happening right now as a local Austinite, but welcome to the new reality where Austin is one of the top destinations for people from Northeast, midwest, and California.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiveone View Post
Please remember that different people have different priorities.

It's not necessarily the lot size or the views or getting a nice and shiny house. It's about what can you get at this moment, why do you need to buy at this moment, and whether you like what you are buying. It's not like there is a choice of 50 lots and you are choosing a lot.

Also, when you plan to live in the house for 10-12 years, I believe the additional premium that people are paying really doesn't matter.

When you have young kids, you don't want to move often. The stability you provide them by buying a house in a good neighboor and letting them build bonds with neighborhood kids by staying there for 10-12 years is much better in my opinion rather than staying in an apartment for a couple of years, looking for a used home, hoping that the prices go down. There is no guarantee that the prices go down a year from now.

If another Californian Tech company announces that they are moving workforce to Austin, which is highly probable right now than some company saying they are moving out of Austin, the home prices have only on way to go. Agreed, the inventory short supply situation might be over in a few months - might - not a certainty. People who can wait for market to cool down, will wait. But, people who can't wait, won't wait, just lik me, even though you know that it's really a seller's market now. Austin will have net positive population inflow for foreseeable future. Zillow predicts Austin to be the hottest RE market in 2021, for a reason.

BTW, the prices for the new homes are in sync with what's happening with used home sales. If you see sales that are happening right now in Travisso and other neighborhoods, for a similar sized lot and similar house plan, they are selling upwards of $800 -$900K plus. Also, it's not like there is significant inventory of used homes. Each house is receiving 30-40 bids higher than asking price.

As someone pointed out, this is not isolated to Austin, may be the magnitide is different in Austin. This is happening across all sunbelt cities. I know for a fact how the market is in Atlanta, where a builder increased price by $30K in 2 weeks.

You might not like what's happening right now as a local Austinite, but welcome to the new reality where Austin is one of the top destinations for people from Northeast, midwest, and California.
I guess where my main issue is in the aspect is some Austinites blame the people that are moving here, but I personally see it differently. While many Texans agree not to Californiacate my Texas, no-one in power whether it be Gregg Abbott or Steve Adler is in the slightest means hinting at the idea of turning down the corporate and business relocations coming here (and they shouldn't, it would be economical suicide.). If anything they are rezoning land to promote more housing and density as well as upgrading transportation means. The people moving here are merely a bi-product. They say Austin doesn't want change, but I don't see anyone attempting to stop it from changing. I guess there was a case in the past where Austin was actively resisting growth but it certainly doesn't seem that way right now.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
From listening to my cousins I believe it's got some great things. My point was that it's not "the" destination for most people. We have a lack of supply in desirable areas. If people wanted to just be in the metro area they have options, Elgin, Manor, Del Valle, Nierderwald, etc. But people "have" to be in Leander and Dripping Springs and Westlake. Boise it's a lack of actual supply because the land is not available because people can't buy it. We just have a bunch of entitled snots moving here who want their California in Texas (this is a generalization).
Additionally, FWIW the amenities supplied by the aforementioned neighborhoods are whats drawing people to them vs Manor, Elgin, Del Valle, whether it be schools, commercial services, access to jobs, ect. I don't particularly feel that means they feel 'entitled' but the criteria for their needs are not met in those neighborhoods. If they're willing to pay the premium while abiding by the system (which is a capitalistic system) there is technically nothing 'wrong' by their choice. They do need to accept the repercussions of said choice if things do not go as planned in the future, but there's nothing unethical by their motifs by any means.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:54 AM

15,234 posts, read 35,417,009 times
Quote:

Our main corporate office is in Boise and it is a nice city. It is about the size now that Austin was 35 years ago when I was in college. It has pretty brutal winters but is close to skiing and that 'unavailable' land is available (more or less) for outdoor activities. It is MUCH more conservative than Austin, but like any decent sized city, it is quite diverse in thought.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Additionally, FWIW the amenities supplied by the aforementioned neighborhoods are whats drawing people to them vs Manor, Elgin, Del Valle, whether it be schools, commercial services, access to jobs, ect. I don't particularly feel that means they feel 'entitled' but the criteria for their needs are not met in those neighborhoods. If they're willing to pay the premium while abiding by the system (which is a capitalistic system) there is technically nothing 'wrong' by their choice. They do need to accept the repercussions of said choice if things do not go as planned in the future, but there's nothing unethical by their motifs by any means.
Your right. But if you "have" to move there are other options. You'll just need to make accommodations, or be patient and wait...which is what I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin