Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 06:12 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times

Advertisements

Lol, he lived in Austin and kept claiming Texans are this and that.
Didn't he realize there's a whole lot to Texas outside Austin.

He says Texans will get mad at you for having a green lawn. Has he been to Houston or Dallas?
They take their lawns seriously there.

I'm also wondering if the "Texans" he is complaining about are not just other California transplant.

Then he based his experiences with other people on Older Texans being unfriendly.
Places like Houston have the friendliest people but he uses limited experiences to blanket the state.

He claims the whole state is a monoculture when Houston is one of the most diverse metros in the country and Dallas is not far behind.

Very over generalized article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 07:55 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,071,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

He says Texans will get mad at you for having a green lawn. Has he been to Houston or Dallas?

I'm also wondering if the "Texans" he is complaining about are not just other California transplant.

Then he based his experiences with other people on Older Texans being unfriendly.
Places like Houston have the friendliest people but he uses limited experiences to blanket the state.

He claims the whole state is a monoculture when Houston is one of the most diverse metros in the country and Dallas is not far behind.

Latest Redfin median sale price January 2021

San Diego $694k

Austin $475k
Dallas $375k
Houston $270k
Ft. Worth $262k
San Antonio $245k
El Paso $188k

Last edited by RocketSci; 01-21-2021 at 08:05 AM..

Old 01-21-2021, 08:16 AM

4,377 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Brutal with some truth cause he comes from Cali but when Texans on CD give some fair criticism about Austin you claim it's out of jealousy and envy. LMAOOOO this guy

As far as the 2016 article, some of this guys gripes are just annoying. I actually pointed out the annoying Cali transplants in Austin on another post a couple of weeks ago and this guy is living proof of it. And I'm not suggesting California transplants are annoying. I've met a ton of really cool transplants here in Houston and Dallas and some in Austin. But the vast majority of annoying ones reside in Austin. It's something about them moving from the far "superior" state and moving in the far "superior" Texas city that makes them extremely obnoxious and condescending. Like tone down the superiority. Nobody asked you to move here, you chose to.

Now I can understand 1-3 coming from California. 4 sounds like a personal experience. 6 again is a personal experience. Also him getting offended by a "Don't move to Texas" shirt is just incredibly ridiculous like get the stick out your ass. Who takes offense to that? When I moved to Atlanta I would always here, I wish people would stop moving here we're full. That kind of thing never bothered me. Kind of tongue and cheek. Unless that person starts exhibiting real xenophobic behavior relax.

Also the Monoculture thing is really an Austin thing. Houston is the complete opposite of that and to an extent Dallas is too. But I do agree w/ some things to an extent. I really like Austin but I believe it's a bit overhyped and lacks appeal outside of a certain demographic in comparison to other cities even in Texas.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:26 AM

2,220 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Also the Monoculture thing is really an Austin thing. Houston is the complete opposite of that and to an extent Dallas is too. But I do agree w/ some things to an extent. I really like Austin but I believe it's a bit overhyped and lacks appeal outside of a certain demographic in comparison to other cities even in Texas.
The dude moved to Bee Cave for the sole reason of getting a bigger house than he was able to afford in California. He doesn't know **** about Austin's "culture". Hell, he didn't even live in Austin.

That's like moving to the Woodlands and then complaining that Houston is all conservative white people.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:28 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
As far as the 2016 article, some of this guys gripes are just annoying. I actually pointed out the annoying Cali transplants in Austin on another post a couple of weeks ago and this guy is living proof of it. And I'm not suggesting California transplants are annoying. I've met a ton of really cool transplants here in Houston and Dallas and some in Austin. But the vast majority of annoying ones reside in Austin. It's something about them moving from the far "superior" state and moving in the far "superior" Texas city that makes them extremely obnoxious and condescending. Like tone down the superiority. Nobody asked you to move here, you chose to.
THIS!!!!!!!!!!

Im a California transplant and many of the California transplants in Austin annoy the ever living crap out of me. The ones in Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio tend to be more chill about it. They didnt move to Texas expecting it to be something its not. However, so many of the California transplants in Austin seemed to move there with this expectation that it would be exactly like home but cheaper.

When I was working in LA and I would hear people gush over Austin, they would describe it in ways that no city could live up to. The expectations of it are too high. They worked it out to be this utopia thats international, ethnically/racially diverse, liberal, entertaining but only mom and pop, urban but charming, racially progressive, world class, and every other thing you can think of. Austin is some of those things but they take every single positive thing and impose it on Austin.

Their expectations are too high of Austin. The ones that move to DFW and Houston only have an expectations of it being cheap and getting a good job. Thats a huge difference.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 01-21-2021 at 08:36 AM..

Old 01-21-2021, 09:21 AM

109 posts, read 83,438 times
Exactly, an Indian living in Seattle ****hole envious all his desi friends are moving to a nice city with ample amenities to raise kids.

The article sounds like west coast elitist attitude that so many californians bring here which makes the culture so much worse. Its is a city to take it slow, enjoy scenery and love all that the city has to offer. Amazing bbq, tex mex and pretty solid Indian food. (I dont know where this ******* went to get his food and trashing the place, he should has asked a local). People are polite, friendly and courteous. The monochromatic culture he laments is exactly why as an indian guy I moved here.

And nightlife in Austin is leagues ahead than anything west coast has to offer.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:22 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I dont know why this is even a thread. Some yahoo wrote a blog about his opinions. So what? There is no data on it, hes not a sociologist, or any kind of expert. He just moved to Austin, didnt like it, and moved back. Only morons move to Austin with the idea that its going to be just like California.
And yet you've posted twice on it.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

He also lived out in Bee Caves, which isn't really "Austin" imo. That's like moving to Pearland and complaining about Houston.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Brutal with some truth cause he comes from Cali but when Texans on CD give some fair criticism about Austin you claim it's out of jealousy and envy. LMAOOOO this guy

Now I can understand 1-3 coming from California. 4 sounds like a personal experience. 6 again is a personal experience. Also him getting offended by a "Don't move to Texas" shirt is just incredibly ridiculous like get the stick out your ass. Who takes offense to that? When I moved to Atlanta I would always here, I wish people would stop moving here we're full. That kind of thing never bothered me. Kind of tongue and cheek. Unless that person starts exhibiting real xenophobic behavior relax.

It should be tongue in cheek but to many Austinites it's like they don't want to share their "paradise." I was in Austin once and I mentioned to the clerk at Eckerd's that I'd consider moving here and he just said "please don't. We have enough people." It's like eff off bro.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:14 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Austin is not close to DFW or Houston when it comes to culture and diversity. Unfortunately, many out of state folks and even people who live in Austin have the thought that Austin is the best Texas has to offer for some reason. And that is not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin