Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 AM

3,672 posts, read 10,574,988 times

Advertisements

I don't know what tenant laws they think exist outside of their smoke filled heads, but at least they gave you a heads up about how mental they are before you got too comfortable or signed another lease term.

Follow the advice and start packing. They don't seem to be all there if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 02:01 PM

184 posts, read 1,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I don't know what tenant laws they think exist outside of their smoke filled heads, but at least they gave you a heads up about how mental they are before you got too comfortable or signed another lease term.

Follow the advice and start packing. They don't seem to be all there if you know what I mean.
I am already packing and leaving as soon as the lease terminates. I am thinking about talking to the local sheriff to see if there is anything I can do to make sure me and my family are safe from them. Who knows if they come charging into our house in the middle of the night I don't want to say they are mentally unstable, but the way they have acted recently has unsettled me to say the least.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:42 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 672,004 times
These owners sound like amateurs. No experienced landlord would react this way; it's entirely unproductive.

There's no need to involve the authorities. However, when you move out you need to carefully document (/w pictures and/or movies) that you've left the place in good shape. Take pictures of the place and make sure a few have you holding the day's Statesmen newspaper. Keep that paper.

If the landlord doesn't return your deposit (or takes off inappropriate things), save the paper and the pictures. You may need to go to court to get your deposit back. If a landlord illegally held back a deposit, you can be awarded 3x the deposit plus court costs.

Further, for any more dealings with them- paying rent or giving notice to end the lease- be sure to send it by certified mail.

Not paying on time CAN be grounds for eviction (even after you pay the rent); but judges will frown on this if they file after they received payment. Professional landlords would always rather avoid an eviction; they're running a business and simply want things to go smoothly and not create unnecessary drama.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:57 PM

mwv, our landlords are first timers and are coming back to occupy their place after the lease ends. Looks like leaving their house for a year was tough on them and some of it reflects in their attitude towards us -- as if we caused this separation.

For 11 months, we had decent landlord-tenant relationship. Suddenly during the last month I find myself in this mess. It is very frustrating to see a landlord treat you like crap. I am a landlord too and would never imagine treating my tenants like this.

I was advised on this board to contact Austin Tenants Council, a non-profit to help resolve deposit issues. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-12-2008, 02:52 PM

233 posts, read 1,043,915 times
Austin Tenants Council is your best bet.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:21 PM

Friends I really need good advice. My fear that the landlord is attempting to illegally withhold my security deposit of $2200 seem to be valid.

A year ago when we moved to our rental house, we called the landlord and asked for authorization for installation of satellite dish, which they allowed us. One year later they are saying we did not get a written authorization from them and we would have to pay for damages to the property. There are no damages and the installation was professionally done after their verbal approval.

Second they said that we paid 2 days of late fee ($50) instead of 3 days($75). And now they want to charge us $325 for the late fees at $25/day starting from May 6th.

Is anyone on this board an attorney who can DM me for advice?

Regards.

Last edited by 2austin; 05-22-2008 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: