Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 09:04 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by National Weather Service
Some areas of freezing rain are possible tonight into Thursday... .The combination of an upper levelel disturbance and cold temperatures will allow for freezing rain in the Advisory area starting late tonight and continuing into Thursday. While most residents will see a very cold rain, some areas that drop to freezing could start to see an accumulation of freezing rain on exposed and elevated surfaces. Residents are urged to use caution while driving later tonight into Thursday and be aware of possible ice and slick spots on area roads.
Edwards-Kendall-Blanco-Hays-Travis-
Including the cities of Rocksprings, Boerne, Blanco, San Marcos,
and Austin
832 PM CST Wed Feb 10 2021
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
NOON CST THURSDAY...
* WHAT...Light freezing rain possible. Total ice accumulations
between a light glaze to around 5 hundredths of an inch are
possible on exposed surfaces, especially elevated surfaces.
* WHERE...Edwards, Kendall, Blanco, Hays and Travis Counties.
* WHEN...From midnight tonight to noon CST Thursday.
* IMPACTS...Some impact to travel is possible especially on
bridges and less traveled roads. The hazardous conditions could
impact the morning commute.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
Slow down and use caution while traveling. Prepare for possible
power outages.
Just a special update for those of you up northwest. It looks like it will get cold and wet enough for some ice and freezing rain up there tonight. I'm safe here in warm southeast Austin.

I'm a weather nerd so I'll update as I see new things coming up. This is just the start. The GFS model is forecasting lows in the single digits between Monday and Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 09:22 PM

550 posts, read 498,328 times
We've already meal planned our weekend for some cold weather eats.

This is some nasty stuff for us...pets, plants & pipes!

Old 02-10-2021, 10:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
As a gardener I fear that I will suffer some losses of plants that I love. They can take low 20s and high teens but not single digits. It's totally unreal that it's near 80 at the beginning of the week and below 10 degrees at the end. Hopefully there won't be any house damage.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:50 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
As a gardener I fear that I will suffer some losses of plants that I love. They can take low 20s and high teens but not single digits. It's totally unreal that it's near 80 at the beginning of the week and below 10 degrees at the end. Hopefully there won't be any house damage.
Yep...too many plants enjoyed the rain and mild temps of the last few weeks...gonna suffer mightily this weekend and beyond.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:52 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
:S it’s going to dip into the single digits? Didn’t realize that.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:53 PM

81 posts, read 195,964 times
Dark Sky is showing much colder than a lot of the weather reports out there. It was much colder for Monday than Weather.com but then weather.com updated. We'll see what the weather shows tomorrow.

On Monday Dark Sky is reporting 27/5. Tuesday 27/-2.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:56 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
:S it’s going to dip into the single digits? Didn’t realize that.
Single digits more likely for you than in-town Austin; BUT, it could be widespread. Bro-n-law up in Lampasas/Lometa is likely to see some REAL winter up there!!

Old 02-10-2021, 11:02 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Weather.com only said low to mid 30’s ... hope it doesn’t get into the single digits...

Edit: Holy... how is weather.com so off?

Old 02-10-2021, 11:51 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
Basically, the jet stream has been messed up in recent years, and it's leading to increased frequency of recurrent "atmospheric blocking" patterns. Combine that with a SSWE and TPV, along with the peculiarities of North American geography, and you have the event that Texas will undergo the coming week.

There's a particular atmospheric pattern (500mb level), depicted on the three maps below, that is entirely responsible for directing these cold, wintry events into Texas - whether its overcast, cold rain, or solid precip. Two of the graphics below show the snow event in Southern Texas from early December of 2017, while the last graphic shows the ice storm that struck Texas in Feb of 2011.

Notice any similarities?

Old 02-11-2021, 04:54 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Polar Vortex y’all https://www.cbsnews.com/news/polar-v...-arctic-blast/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin