Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 01:22 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Just saw AR has gotten the go ahead to start flipping switches. It doesn’t sound like anyone commenting is in Austin proper except me, though. Hopefully other companies will get the go ahead to flip switches. My family in SA has been without power since Monday.
I am in Austin proper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 01:32 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I am in Austin proper
One of the few.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:42 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
One of the few.
I'm in an ETJ, but still serviced by AE. We have power though, thankfully.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:48 PM

445 posts, read 413,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I am in Austin proper
Me too!

Old 02-17-2021, 02:54 PM

Just walked down to HEB, as much for something to do rather than needing anything desperately. The conditions outside for drivers are much better - Escarpment was quite clear and even completely dry in patches - but the neighborhood streets have some nasty patches of compressed snow/ice from the thaw/freeze cycle today. Walking is MUCH more treacherous than yesterday; the sidewalks have lots of sections of thawed/frozen patches. It is safer to walk on the devil strip or the road.

HEB had a line to get in, maybe 60 people or so? But it only took 10 minutes or so to get in. The normal items were pretty much gone - breads, milk, veggies, fruit - but lots of miscellaneous stuff to chose from still - pasta (but that requires water) and frozen goods (if the power is out, leave them outside), and some meats.

No idea on how late they will be open. They shut the incoming doors at 3:30 pm yesterday.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:45 PM

589 posts, read 300,106 times
Quote:
One of the few.
The total unique posters in this thread is pretty small but seems like most are in Austin versus not. Count me in as being in Austin.

On another note, not directly responding to your post Asbeeigh, but it's taking longer then I thought to melt ice to liquid form without actually boiling it. Since my water will be out for another 24 hrs was trying to use melted snow for my toilet.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
The total unique posters in this thread is pretty small but seems like most are in Austin versus not. Count me in as being in Austin.

On another note, not directly responding to your post Asbeeigh, but it's taking longer then I thought to melt ice to liquid form without actually boiling it. Since my water will be out for another 24 hrs was trying to use melted snow for my toilet.
We noticed this too. Even with buckets in front of our fireplace, it was taking forever. The temp was high enough and the sky bright enough that we got a decent melt off our roof for several hours today and have collected about 10 gallons of roof-melt now (all the containers we really had). We ended up dumping the buckets of snow to catch the melt.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post

I just assumed based on previous knowledge that most weren’t Austin proper, but either way, here’s hoping everyone gets their power back soon.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:03 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Why is living in Austin proper such a big deal here? I’ve never ran into that in any metro area I’ve lived in. I could see if if posters were coming from places like DFW, Houston, or Los Angeles but people in the burbs have a general idea as to what’s going on in Austin. Some of the burbs pay more than Austin in property tax and in some cases even property values. I just don’t understand why one specifically has to be in Austin to have commentary if they have legitimate information.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Why is living in Austin proper such a big deal here? I’ve never ran into that in any metro area I’ve lived in. I could see if if posters were coming from places like DFW, Houston, or Los Angeles but people in the burbs have a general idea as to what’s going on in Austin. Some of the burbs pay more than Austin in property tax and in some cases even property values. I just don’t understand why one specifically has to be in Austin to have commentary if they have legitimate information.
I’m speaking about it in terms of providers. My initial point in adding that was that it might not be important news for those that don’t have Austin Energy, like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin