Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 03:42 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
No city in Texas is comparable to the northern / northeastern cities. At all.
maybe not but many people (myself included) feel Houston/Dallas have that 'feel' of the northern cities. many ppl relocating from NYC etc. pick either houston or dallas if they are looking for the megalopolis vibe. Dallas has transit, for example, even if Dallas is sprawly and the actual downtown could use a tad more markets, etc. Houston has that international vibe too. i'm basing my words on what i hear from non-Texas associates when they select which Texas city to move to..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 03:44 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,488,934 times
No. Not even slightly.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:50 PM

550 posts, read 497,979 times
Went from Austin to Chicago for 10 years and back to Austin.

I loved Chicago...there's no place quite like it.

It was the weather that did us in. The length of winter.

We lived in Lincoln Park and could walk to many restaurants, shopping, he lakefront, Wrigley, etc.

The L or a cheap Uber anywhere else.

We miss all that...except the weather.

Austin is nothing like that, never will be. That's not Austin's fault and we love it here...again!

But we're older. 61/55.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:04 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
For a bit of background, I've been in Chicago 8 years and recently moved to Dallas to live with parents for a bit. I'm debating going back to Chicago, but I just can't help but feel that I shouldn't be spending my entire 20s/30s in one city. If the pandemic weren't happening I would try to move to NYC, but that's not a good option right now.

Is Austin as busy as Chicago in terms of foot traffic, and are there many people in their 20s/30s? I'm 32 and single, and hoping to settle down in the near term. Not only that but I'm curious about how Austin would be for nightlife and things to do outdoors.
Since the Pandemic, Austin has not been near as busy. Before the Pandemic, on a nice weekend day in Austin, there's alot of foot traffic all over Austin. There's always alot of people outside walking just about everywhere in Austin. Especially if there's a popular event going on. It's probably nothing like Chicago in actual numbers, but when the country is healthy and the weather is nice, Austin, per capita, is probably one of the busiest inland cities in the country, in terms of foot traffic. Austin is most definitely an outdoor city. Probably the most outdoor city in Texas, even more so than Houston and DFW. Austin is a pure paradise for a young adult who can afford to live here.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:13 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
When he moves here looking for the Sears, John Hancock, and Water Tower, Chicago Polishes, Corned & Italian Beef Sanwhiches, Gino’s East, then mistakes he mistakes Cesar Chavez for Lake Shore Dr while trying to get to the The Damned Ryan (okay we do have that, it’s I-35), Navy Pier, The Museum of Science and Industry, and the CTA ‘L’ or Metra .. I’m pointing him your way.

I agree with what another poster stated. Some areas of Houston have a Chicago-ish feel minus the transit factor. Baytown reminds me a lot of the industrial blighted areas of Chicago.
I suppose you knew this, but incase you didn't I was trolling there.

But I actually agree with what you're saying this. Midtown Houston is gaining an urban East Coasty Chicago/San Francisco feel more and more everyday. As you mention, minus the transit. I've actually personally heard people from San Francisco tell me "this part of Houston reminds me of SF" a lot.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
No. Not even slightly.
What's wrong with you? Austin and Chicago are like twins.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:29 PM

Seriously speaking, of the 4 Texas triangle metros, Austin is the least Chicago-y one besides San Antonio

Old 03-08-2021, 05:35 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I suppose you knew this, but incase you didn't I was trolling there.

But I actually agree with what you're saying this. Midtown Houston is gaining an urban East Coasty Chicago/San Francisco feel more and more everyday. As you mention, minus the transit. I've actually personally heard people from San Francisco tell me "this part of Houston reminds me of SF" a lot.
Memorial Dr between Downtown Houston and Uptown district reminds me a bit of Lakeshore Dr around the park areas of Chicago minus the Lake and skyline.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:30 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
No city in Texas is comparable to the northern / northeastern cities. At all.
Is that a dig or just saying different? I've lived on the east coast in two major cities and visited others. They do differ due to density, history, COL.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:41 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Is that a dig or just saying different? I've lived on the east coast in two major cities and visited others. They do differ due to density, history, COL.
TX overall has nothing that feels Northeastern... ...well except winter storm Uri...

The commuter rail between Dallas and FortWorth is about as much homage to those states as we get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin