U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 08:51 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,382,398 times

Advertisements

What's next??????
Maybe we will have a break before the Memorial Day floods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 09:33 AM

8,485 posts, read 3,900,615 times
Texas has crazy weather but IMO the last few events have been a bit abnormal. For me it’s the frequency of which things are occurring. I feel climate change is responsible.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:53 AM

14,439 posts, read 31,754,973 times
Hail and storms at this time of year used to be (in my recollection, anyway) much more common than they are now days.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:50 PM

280 posts, read 135,745 times
Far N/NW side of the metro gets it the worst. Along with tornados.

Liberty Hill, Marble Falls, Georgetown always get nailed.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:21 PM

7,446 posts, read 13,169,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Texas has crazy weather but IMO the last few events have been a bit abnormal. For me it’s the frequency of which things are occurring. I feel climate change is responsible.
this is called confirmation bias. The human sees patterns where there are none (e.g. shapes in clouds). You believe in climate change and therefore see anything "abnormal" as client change. I remember in the 90s a terrible storm where my car was coated in ice and I had to chip away at the ice to get in.

What people dont get is 100 years of climate data is like looking at a stock for one day.

The theories around climate change are absolutely plausible but I just dont see every "abnormal" thing as climate change.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:44 PM

12,625 posts, read 12,756,487 times
anything is possible in the 17 years I've been here.

i am concerned about the drought most of all. people are busy rebuilding from the winter storm so it's easy to forget that there was little of any rain/moisture since that storm. At least east of 35...

I agree with cheeva that west side/georgetown etc. gets a lot of the rain (and unfortunately wind). My mom lives in Gtown and she got a monsoon yesterday..whereas we got .3 inches.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:07 PM

4,008 posts, read 3,283,530 times
The way the weather pattern has been in 2021, it's showing similarities to the weather pattern in 2011. In February of 2011, there was 70 consecutive hours of below freezing temperatures and power outtages causing frozen/busted water pipes followed by a summer with record drought, the Bastrop wild fires, extreme heat. Sounds just like winter of 2021. The hottest summer in history was in 2011.

This article from KXAN makes a good case for a long hot and dry summer in 2021..

https://www.kxan.com/weather/warning...sters-of-2011/

( Sent from KXAN News )

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 03-23-2021 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 07:30 AM

5,122 posts, read 5,896,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
this is called confirmation bias. The human sees patterns where there are none (e.g. shapes in clouds). You believe in climate change and therefore see anything "abnormal" as client change. I remember in the 90s a terrible storm where my car was coated in ice and I had to chip away at the ice to get in.

What people dont get is 100 years of climate data is like looking at a stock for one day.

The theories around climate change are absolutely plausible but I just dont see every "abnormal" thing as climate change.
There is little doubt the world's climate is changing. Over the last ten years, the world has experienced more hurricanes, more drought, more storms, more tornados, hotter summers, colder winters, more everything... than in any ten year period as far back as records have been kept.

At the same time, the average global temperature is rising, and is higher than ever recorded.

I'll let you figure it out from here. Confirmation bias? Sure, let's go with that.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:39 AM

8,485 posts, read 3,900,615 times
To be fair he does have a point that we don’t have a great deal of historical weather data but I still feel climate change is a very real thing. It’s not just due to these recent events but the frequency and severity of Hurricanes has increased fairly significantly, such as the recent storms that smashed into Louisiana and into the Gulf of Texas (although the one that hit TX was fairly weak thankfully.) There was also Siberia that reached record high temperatures in July of 2020 (over 100*F in the ARCTIC) as well as enormous icebergs breaking off of Greenland as well as the Antarctic ... I believe many of the systems that keep our weather in check and balance (such as Jet-streams and trade winds) are slowly, fading away... dying off like a failing wrist watch, which will lead to numerous more unpredictable weather events, and for Texas it will mean weather unpredictability on steroids.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:35 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,382,398 times
It has started(just after Snovid cleared); but TRAFFIC might be one of the major impacts when it reaches previous levels(or more). I DON'T look forward to that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin