Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:13 PM

14 posts, read 237,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeeebuckeye View Post
i parked under a tree! didnt help..my car is utterly destroyed. cracked windshield and crater sized dents in the hood and roof, plus some side paneling dents. my apartment complex looked like a warzone..broken windows and leaves and small branches everywhere...im off of oak noll and 183

my poor car i've only had it three months and i think it may be totaled.
blondeee, are you me? I was also in the oak knoll/183 area when I got BEAT DOWN. I pulled into the Academy parking lot thinking one of those scrawny little trees would shelter me. WRONG! My front windshield has a spiderweb of cracks, the back window is gone, and the body of my car looks as though someone worked it over with a baseball bat. And I just got the car right before Christmas. Ay yi yi....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 04:44 PM

22 posts, read 108,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springboard View Post
blondeee, are you me? I was also in the oak knoll/183 area when I got BEAT DOWN. I pulled into the Academy parking lot thinking one of those scrawny little trees would shelter me. WRONG! My front windshield has a spiderweb of cracks, the back window is gone, and the body of my car looks as though someone worked it over with a baseball bat. And I just got the car right before Christmas. Ay yi yi....
no but i was right across the highway pretty much!! and luckily i was IN my apartment (but i also have a broken window there)! were you in the car while this happened??? this car was a christmas present to myself. luckily i still HAVE windows! people at my work were frustrated today because of the storm and i told them they were welcome to go out and beat my car if they wanted to because who cares about one more dent?? (im kidding!) the insurance company is coming to look at it tomorrow...can't wait to see what they say!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:57 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,001 times
This hail was bad but I have lived in SW Kansas and know of hail storms that pounded the roof of a pickup truck down even with the bottom of the window. We had our wheat mowed down so hard that it looked like a carpet.

My Sis in Meadowlakes (beside Marble Falls) lost 5 skylights, 3 windows, holes through the masonite siding on a closed in porch wall, and a big Magnolia tree striped of leaves. She found 14 dead birds under the tree. She can't use her electric cooktop that was raiined on under one of the skylights.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:41 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Hey, I don't doubt you, it was a different poster that was saying that nasty weather doesn't hit central Austin and I was under the impression that Tarrytown is in central, thus my question.
No worries. I'm a researcher....

I don't know if storms/tornadoes/hail are attracted to the suburbs over the inner city, but I think it may have something to do with wide open spaces being attractive to twisters. All I know is that the storm is May was TERRIBLE.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:44 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
No worries. I'm a researcher....

I don't know if storms/tornadoes/hail are attracted to the suburbs over the inner city, but I think it may have something to do with wide open spaces being attractive to twisters. All I know is that the storm is May was TERRIBLE.
It's a shame I was out of town when that happened. I would have loved to have seen it. So far the biggest hail I've seen since moving here in '05 was dime-sized.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:49 AM

385 posts, read 1,248,079 times
Here's what I came home to in NW Austin. Car has some dents, but not as bad as some got it a few blocks down the road.
Hail damage in Austin?-p1050377.jpg

Old 03-27-2009, 08:30 AM

433 posts, read 1,657,287 times
Just curious....

What do car dealerships do to protect their inventory when it hails like this?

Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
Just curious....

What do car dealerships do to protect their inventory when it hails like this?
Not a lot. According to an article in the Statesman yesterday "All 175 cars at Roger Beasley Audi on Pond Springs Road in Northwest Austin were damaged by large hail Wednesday, and at least 75 vehicle windows were broken, the dealership said." Brief storm brings lots of hail, little rain (http://www.statesman.com/search/content/news/stories/local/03/26/0326weather.html - broken link)

Old 03-27-2009, 10:18 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,001 times
We bought a hailed VW in 2006. When I was showed the car you could see the hail damage and was told they would have it fixed and if I didn't like the results I didn't have to take it. Three days later the car looked perfect. There was no reduction in price since it was fixed.

A friend's Husband has a well paying business fixing hail damage at car lots. He is goes all over the US and can be gone weeks at a time. He has even been called to Australia to fix cars after hail storms.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:11 AM

433 posts, read 1,657,287 times
Do they just fix the dents somehow or do they have to repair/paint the whole car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin