Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2021, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,153 times

Advertisements

We were hit hard with hail last month. Filed a claim the day after it occurred. They sent a guy out to inspect our roof who told us we definitely needed a new one. It's been almost a month since he visited, but each time I call they say they haven't received the report and I will be contacted when they do.
I'm starting to get worried that the are delaying my claim and wondering about the legality of what they are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 10:10 AM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappyMcHappy View Post
We were hit hard with hail last month. Filed a claim the day after it occurred. They sent a guy out to inspect our roof who told us we definitely needed a new one. It's been almost a month since he visited, but each time I call they say they haven't received the report and I will be contacted when they do.
I'm starting to get worried that the are delaying my claim and wondering about the legality of what they are doing.
Does seem odd. It took my inspector about two weeks to get dispatched but the report was created immediately

Just wondering, although they don’t have the report, do they have it on record that the inspector was dispatched? If so, there are atleast trails that he was dispatched.

Anyway, in Texas, In ORDINARY circumstances the report specifically cannot be more than 90 days old. Also the adjuster is generally obligated to respond to the claim within 15 days of submission. After which the insurer gets an additional 15 days to receive the report to determine an approve or deny decision. By that period the insurer should have an approve / decline response. They can extend up to 45 days if they have a legitimate reason for needing more time. What defines legitimate though isn’t documented.

In your situation however things change due to it being a weather related incident. They can essentially tack on an additional 45 days on top of original period.

So my opinion is ... they can essentially take up to 4 months from claim origination to approve or deny the claim in weather related circumstances. It after that period you get nothing, I’d contact the state consumer protection unit.

https://www.tdi.texas.gov/rules/bor-home-english.html

Quote:

26. TIMEFRAMES FOR CLAIM PROCESSING AND PAYMENT. When you file a claim on your own policy, you have the right to have your claim processed and paid promptly. If the insurance company fails to meet required claims processing and payment deadlines, you have the right to collect 18% annual interest and attorney's fees in addition to your claim amount.

Generally, within 15 calendar days, your insurance company must acknowledge receipt of your claim and request any additional information reasonably related to your claim. Within 15 business days after receipt of all requested information, the company must approve or deny your claim in writing. The law allows the insurance company to extend this deadline up to 45 days if it notifies you that more time is needed and tells you why.

After notifying you that your claim is approved, your insurance company must pay the claim within 5 business days.

If your claim results from a weather-related catastrophe or other major natural disaster as defined by TDI, your insurance company may take 45 additional days to approve or deny your claim and 15 additional days to pay your claim.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:56 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Be persistent.

Without any hassle, State Farm sent an adjuster to inspect my roof 3 days after I called my agent. He spent a half hour on the roof & around the house checking it out, making notes and taking pictures.
He spent another 20 minutes in his truck making out his report, then explained to us everything he found and how to proceed from that point ..... before he handed the paperwork to me.
The paper file included a check to cover the damage and an option to receive $5,000 more if necessary. We deposited the check the next morning.in our bank. We have a roofing company in mind to do the work as soon as convenient for us.

State Farm did the same procedure when we filed a claim 12 years ago for hail damage.
That’s the way that company operates.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:35 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
There is a roofing company that many people hate due to their aggressive marketing, but they do good work and, iirc, they only charge you the deductible from your insurance and THEY deal with insurance. Obviously, they will not take the job if they do not think it is covered by insurance, but they hound the insurance company to death to get paid and/or get it authorized. I think it is Holden Roofing or something like that?

Old 05-17-2021, 09:37 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Be persistent.

Without any hassle, State Farm sent an adjuster to inspect my roof 3 days after I called my agent. He spent a half hour on the roof & around the house checking it out, making notes and taking pictures.
He spent another 20 minutes in his truck making out his report, then explained to us everything he found and how to proceed from that point ..... before he handed the paperwork to me.
The paper file included a check to cover the damage and an option to receive $5,000 more if necessary. We deposited the check the next morning.in our bank. We have a roofing company in mind to do the work as soon as convenient for us.

State Farm did the same procedure when we filed a claim 12 years ago for hail damage.
That’s the way that company operates.
We also have SF and they were relatively painless. We paid the deductible (which was around $2,500?) and the rest was covered. Think the work cost ~$9,000?

Old 05-17-2021, 10:38 AM

727 posts, read 304,724 times
If you have Allstate, if you are not satisfied with the claims process, you can get your deductible refunded.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:30 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
There is a roofing company that many people hate due to their aggressive marketing, but they do good work and, iirc, they only charge you the deductible from your insurance and THEY deal with insurance. Obviously, they will not take the job if they do not think it is covered by insurance, but they hound the insurance company to death to get paid and/or get it authorized. I think it is Holden Roofing or something like that?
The Holden sales guy had to buy a new truck so he could write off some of the unbelievable income he made in Avery Ranch after the '08 hailstorms. Just in our sub-neighborhood, 300 out of 350 houses got new roofs that year!!!(Some were brand new homes!!)
We had been in the house under one year, having paid LESS than $1000 in H/O insurance...our claim was $29,000 from that one storm!!! BTW, our rates didn't go up for two more years, then they jumped a fair bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin