Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 11:31 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,581,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
There’s hope! 183 East side and also I-35 South side is finished besides some touch ups here and there! Besides that junction and 130 east side I can’t think of many more road projects.
183 south is not done yet. The on ramps from airport, Cesar Chávez and 7th are not done yet. There were ten closures overnight and about eight during the day today, including one in front of my house. 35 south is just starting up again. There are plans to add more lanes south of William cannon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 05:06 AM

4,685 posts, read 3,121,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Ramp Opened in 1997
So it took them over 20 years to address it...

Old 05-21-2021, 08:53 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
So it took them over 20 years to address it...
IF they don't address the exit from 35 northbound, we can all fret about it for ANOTHER 20 years

Old 05-22-2021, 06:10 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,385,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
I'm not sure what the issue was, or whether it was the steepness or not, but that ramp has been a huge issue contributing backups on I-35 for years. I do think the steepness probably was an issue for heavy trucks, low hp cars, and nervous nannies who'd slow down to a crawl by the time they got to the curve. I really hope it doesn't remain one lane; I thought the new one would have two lanes since they're spending the time and money on it.
That elevated section of U.S. 183 is terrible!

The cantilevering indicates that there isn't enough ROW for the freeway and the curve over Lamar Blvd indicates that the old highway route was simply upgraded to a freeway without considering alternative, smoother alignments.

It sure takes a long time for flyover ramps to be constructed in Austin! I drove through there while visiting town a few years back and couldn't help but notice the slow pace of construction. Even the incomplete piers appear on Google's satellite map. This project would have been finished in 1.5-2 years in Houston.

Old 05-22-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That elevated section of U.S. 183 is terrible!

The cantilevering indicates that there isn't enough ROW for the freeway and the curve over Lamar Blvd indicates that the old highway route was simply upgraded to a freeway without considering alternative, smoother alignments.

It sure takes a long time for flyover ramps to be constructed in Austin! I drove through there while visiting town a few years back and couldn't help but notice the slow pace of construction. Even the incomplete piers appear on Google's satellite map. This project would have been finished in 1.5-2 years in Houston.
The first part of the flyover took about 2 years (I think) and that included the setup and prep for all the work. They say it will take "4 months" to get this last section. Considering how long it takes them to finish adding one lane to 35, I think this project is actually moving pretty quickly.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:54 PM

11,668 posts, read 7,811,243 times
I don’t know much about 183 in North Central Austin but my understanding is several decades ago it was a surface artery with strip malls and businesses surrounding it so they made an elevated freeway to prevent as much disruption to the local area as possible.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I don’t know much about 183 in North Central Austin but my understanding is several decades ago it was a surface artery with strip malls and businesses surrounding it so they made an elevated freeway to prevent as much disruption to the local area as possible.
It was much like the 183 south area was pre toll road (Every exit that there is now, and then some, had lights). My understanding is that 290 (Ben White) in south Austin was similar, but that made the change many moons ago.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:33 AM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
Quote:
Both 183 and 290 were surface streets with a light at every intersection. Ben White was completed first, but just by a few years. I lived right beside the construction at Lamar and 183 while they elevated the roads. I had to drive south to work near Ben White and MoPac (when Mopac ended at Ben White). Mopac, on the other hand, was a race track.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:11 PM

988 posts, read 3,242,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It was much like the 183 south area was pre toll road (Every exit that there is now, and then some, had lights). My understanding is that 290 (Ben White) in south Austin was similar, but that made the change many moons ago.
Both Ben White and 183 North/West of 35 were converted to Freeways in the 90s. Ben White is wider due to more businesses being dislocated for a wider right of way. 183 btwn 35 and Mopac had a more narrow right of way due to density and NIMBYS so they had to build that elevated freeway section to overhang over the access road. 183 north/west of Mopac was built similarly to Ben White with a wider right of way.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Both Ben White and 183 North/West of 35 were converted to Freeways in the 90s. Ben White is wider due to more businesses being dislocated for a wider right of way. 183 btwn 35 and Mopac had a more narrow right of way due to density and NIMBYS so they had to build that elevated freeway section to overhang over the access road. 183 north/west of Mopac was built similarly to Ben White with a wider right of way.
Thanks for the history lesson. I figured it was something like that, although I would have though Ben White happened further in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin