Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,991 times

Advertisements

So me and my husband have now lived here for almost 2 years, and frankly we are getting a little bit depressed with all the cloudy weather. I feel like everybody always talks about Texas being sunny, and it is sunny in the summer. I feel like June July August and September are pretty much consistently sunny every single day with the occasional thunderstorms. However once you pass September, the majority of each month will be cloudy days. Even worse, it's cloudy days with no rain. Just an oppressive blanket of dreary clouds that never produce any precipitation (Just tons and tons of humidity). I don't understand why this is not something that people talk about. Have we just been very unlucky and experienced two exceptionally cloudy years (mid 2019 to now)? I also find it a lot colder than expected for a lot longer, again summers are blazingly hot but it seems to be taking a long time to get there. We are in mid-May and it's still not what I would consider hot. We are from Boston originally and right now Boston is warmer than the Austin area, it's going to be consistently sunny and in the 80s in my hometown whereas Austin is going to be struggling to break out of the 70s with near constant cloud cover the rest of this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 06:12 PM

11,782 posts, read 7,995,430 times
After a slew of 100* days I personally enjoy seasons of overcast. Plus I used to live in Seattle so those days were pretty much year round occurrences. Doesn’t really bother me.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:56 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,690,768 times
You can always go back to Boston if our weather doesn’t work for you? There will be four people moving here to replace you.

Sarcasm and snarkiness aside...what we’re dealing with right now is tropical weather. We are only a few hours away from the coast. The pattern we’re in right now is caused by a blocking high so the jet stream is stuck in its position and storms from the west are riding the jet stream and hitting the tropics. Also, the dreariness in the mornings is tropical, the heat just burns it off and then it gets hot and sunny. I haven’t checked the temperatures yet to see, but the weather was “average” last month and I feel like it could be “average” now too. You’re right, there are years where we are in the 90s, consistently by now, but don’t complain too much. You’ll regret it mid July.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:21 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezahb View Post
So me and my husband have now lived here for almost 2 years, and frankly we are getting a little bit depressed with all the cloudy weather. I feel like everybody always talks about Texas being sunny, and it is sunny in the summer. I feel like June July August and September are pretty much consistently sunny every single day with the occasional thunderstorms. However once you pass September, the majority of each month will be cloudy days. Even worse, it's cloudy days with no rain. Just an oppressive blanket of dreary clouds that never produce any precipitation (Just tons and tons of humidity). I don't understand why this is not something that people talk about. Have we just been very unlucky and experienced two exceptionally cloudy years (mid 2019 to now)? I also find it a lot colder than expected for a lot longer, again summers are blazingly hot but it seems to be taking a long time to get there. We are in mid-May and it's still not what I would consider hot. We are from Boston originally and right now Boston is warmer than the Austin area, it's going to be consistently sunny and in the 80s in my hometown whereas Austin is going to be struggling to break out of the 70s with near constant cloud cover the rest of this week.
I think austin is still mostly sunny. Even today it rained for a bit and was sunny all afternoon

Old 05-17-2021, 09:23 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Our first five years here(starting June '08) were nothing but record-setting heat and drought.
I don't mind one bit having clouds(convertible weather) and mild temps. We hit 90 degrees F twice in the first February we were here...and was told that was pretty normal.
Careful what you wish for

Old 05-17-2021, 10:43 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Sunny days are generally defined as days with <30% cloud cover
Partly sunny days are 30% to 70% cloud cover
Cloudy days are >70% cloud cover.

Austin is:
115 Sunny
114 Partly sunny
136 Cloudy
2644 sunny hours per year

Boston is:
98 Sunny
103 Partly Sunny
164 Cloudy
2634 Sunny hours per year

Those are averages, of course, so there are deviations during any given year. Both have similar total numbers of sunny hours, but Boston's appear to be more 'concentrated', with more completely cloudy days.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:36 AM

570 posts, read 559,795 times
I just moved back to Austin and loving this weather. I'm not looking forward to the summer heat. I had enough of that while living in Vegas.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:45 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
I just moved back to Austin and loving this weather. I'm not looking forward to the summer heat. I had enough of that while living in Vegas.
As a bicycle rider, I often found May to have MANY more hot days with the occasional 50-degree morning thrown in. This year has been a flip-flop with hardly any days one would call 'hot'...most not even reaching the average high temp.

Give it a week and let's see how it goes. So far, our first month of "summer" sure has been mild to cool.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:17 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
The op is a 1st time poster. Possible troll alert.
Proceed with caution.

Old 05-22-2021, 06:01 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
I'm loving the longer Spring weather we've gotten this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin