Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2021, 05:39 PM

319 posts, read 345,970 times

Advertisements

It's silly that Austin Senior Centers are closed. With no announced plans for opening.

Almost all seniors are vaccinated. All employees at the centers are, or should be, vaccinated.

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 09:40 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Why don't you call one and ask?

Old 05-24-2021, 01:05 AM

11,774 posts, read 7,986,237 times
My imagination is they’re playing it safe due to liability concerns.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:49 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,002 times
Probably going to become more homeless facilities. No data to back that up, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:57 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Probably going to become more homeless facilities. No data to back that up, but I wouldn't be surprised.
None of the senior centers were on the list of potential camping locations. That's pure speculation on your part and a silly speculation. I'm pretty sure the city is just airing on the side of caution in reopening them. I would hope it would be soon, they reopened libraries about two weeks ago.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:24 AM

Are they closed due to city or county decree? I don't remember seeing a decree either way other than at the state level.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:25 AM

11,774 posts, read 7,986,237 times
I can’t find anything showing there being a city / state mandated shutdown for senior citizen homes. I doubt the city / state is forcing them to be closed... well... the state atleast... maybe ... just maybe the city but I have strong doubts on that too. I don’t really remember the city forcing anyone to completely close down. Limiting capacity and hours (in cases of peak events to control spread) they did do but they never forced anyone to completely shut down from my memory atleast.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:56 AM

319 posts, read 345,970 times
Per the COVID-19 Mayoral declaration, the Center is closed to the public effective Monday, March 16th, 2010.

Senior Centers are under city PARD (Parks & Rec).

Old 05-24-2021, 01:11 PM

OOOHH! I thought you were talking about assisted living or nursing homes or whatnot.

It could be that city workers are not required to go back to non-essential jobs yet, so the centers can't be open. I think all the libraries are closed.

The governor has said that Texas is '100% open' but I still can't get a live person at the TCEQ and a few other agencies, so not sure what state workers have gone back, either.

EDIT: For PARD, this looks like the latest list..Most indoor places closed, most outdoor open:
Quote:
In consultation with the Austin Public Health Department and the public health authorities, the following amenities are currently OPEN:
  • Barton Creek Spillway (aka "Barking Springs")
  • Bartholomew Pool
  • Barton Springs Pool
  • Big Stacy Pool
  • Basketball Courts
  • Boat Launches
  • Boat Docks
  • Boating Concessions
  • Campsites at Emma Long Metropolitan Park
  • Cemeteries
  • Clay Shooting Concessions
  • Deep Eddy Pool
  • Disc Golf Courses
  • Event Buildings (stand alone sites) (reserve online with limits)
  • Filming Permits (at sites without closures or operating limits)
  • Food Concessions
  • Girl Scout Cabin (outdoor space at 25% capacity and modified operations- no events any size)
  • Golf Courses increase starting intervals to 12 minutes between groups
  • All tournaments remain cancelled
  • Remove all picnic tables in pavilion areas
  • Eliminate indoor seating in food and beverage concession areas
  • Encourage on-line payments
  • Restrict pro shop access to payment only and limited to 3 people inside with social distancing at any given time
  • Increase spacing on the driving range to 8 ft.
  • All water jugs removed
  • Continue with sanitization process for golf carts (before and after use) with Single Cart or walking only
  • Mayfield Park (outdoor areas only)
  • Neighborhood Tennis Courts (and outdoor Pickleball Courts)
  • Outdoor Exercise Equipment
  • Outdoor Restrooms
  • Parks Greenspace
  • Picnic Sites & Pavilion Permits (reserve online with limits)
  • Playgrounds
  • Pools: Springwoods, Bartholomew, Big Stacy, Barton Springs, and Deep Eddy Pools are currently open. Govalle and Shipe Pools will open on June 5.
  • Preserves
  • Skate Parks
  • Special Event Sites (with limits and approved health safety plans)
  • Splash Pads: Bartholomew, Chestnut, Liz Carpenter, and Metz splash pads will open on May 22.
  • Springwoods Pool
  • Sunshine Camp (outdoor space at 25% capacity and modified operations- no events any size)
  • Tennis Centers at reduced capacity and modified operations (payment on line, limited bathroom access, increased time between court bookings – no events any size)
  • Trails
  • Umlauf Sculpture Garden (outdoor space only at 25% capacity and established modified operations -no events any size)
  • Volleyball Courts
  • Water Fountains
  • Zilker Botanical Garden

The following PARD facilities are CLOSED to the public:
  • All Recreation Centers
  • Some Splash Pad
  • Austin Nature & Science Center
  • Girl Scout Cabin indoor space
  • Museum and Cultural Facilities
  • Oakwood Cemetery Chapel
  • Senior Centers
  • Sunshine Camp indoor space
  • Zilker Caretaker House
  • Park amenities including, but not limited to: athletic fields, and pavilions.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:20 PM

743 posts, read 1,370,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
OOOHH! I thought you were talking about assisted living or nursing homes or whatnot.
That's how I read it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: