Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 09:48 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

random thoughts here -

I think that there should be more de-escalation training.

I think that the "community beat cop" should return, where the cop is strongly connected with the community. There seems to be a disconnect there, where the community is wary of law enforcement. That's a problem because the cop, really, is there to protect and should not be seen as an enemy.

Additionally, cops should not be feared. They are not there to administer the law like a hammer. They are civil servants who are responsible for keeping society safe and maintaining law and order. While they are tasked with enforcement of the law, they are still there for the people.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:15 AM

727 posts, read 304,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
random thoughts here -

I think that the "community beat cop" should return, where the cop is strongly connected with the community. There seems to be a disconnect there, where the community is wary of law enforcement. That's a problem because the cop, really, is there to protect and should not be seen as an enemy.

Additionally, cops should not be feared. They are not there to administer the law like a hammer. They are civil servants who are responsible for keeping society safe and maintaining law and order. While they are tasked with enforcement of the law, they are still there for the people.
I very much agree about de-escalation training. Fun fact, Austin PD has one of the longest Police Academies in the nation, I believe it's about 9 months not including Field Training and probation.

People are taught through social media and main stream media that the Police are the enemy of the people. This is simply not the case. While most if not the majority of people respect Law Enforcement, there are a handful that have that inherent disdain, either from personal experience or other reasons.

A lot of cops today are not taking a proactive approach but rather a reactive approach due to the political clime and how all cops are being painted with a broad brush and demonized by the media, and certain politicians. Here is a good video of what is going on in some parts in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzstGHZku3E

Old 06-01-2021, 10:15 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
random thoughts here -

I agree completely. The DA is going to be a problem though. The cops arrest people, those people need to go to jail (except for drug crimes). A small percent of people commit most of the crimes. The DA has shown he wants to do what san francisco did and let small crimes go. That has resulted in empty stores as people brazenly shoplift under $950 worth of merchandise.

Most of what police do has nothing to do with stopping a violent crime in progress. Anyone that refers to anecdotes of how difficult the job of police is should look at data instead. Riding along with an officer is not criteria for determining whether police should be responsible for particular duties (e.g. forensics)

Old 06-01-2021, 11:07 AM

11,795 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Here's my big question though, what about the times when a cop does encounter a violent in-progress crime, or comes upon a suspect who committed a violent crime while on patrol. I get the idea of armed officers being stationed to be called during situations that require armed officers, but if they are called out by the time they arrive the suspect is long gone. It's not quite the same as a fire fighter or an ambulance who is called out of station to arrive on a scene where the cause of the concern remains stationary awaiting to be resolved, these will be suspects are capable of mobility (where a fire or medical emergency is typically immobile) who willfully resist arrest and will do whatever they can to evade detention.

I'm all for de-escalation training, and I personally prefer higher quality officers with social awareness to be hired to begin with whom may be less susceptible to engage in unnecessary violence (this is what I personally feel police reform should be about). but how do cops catch dangerous criminals if they do not do it during the time / event of the crime or while on patrol? what other method is there? Wouldn't more mentally trained officers be less susceptible of using unnecessary force even if they had that force available to them for the event they may need it?

To 'me' this just feels like public distrust of police .. of which probably will not cease unless they are completely neutered .. In some cases this is very warranted but I feel this isn't being heavily thought out on a broad sense but more on personal experiences and localized opinions over something that affects a much broader range of society. I do realize the bad cops 'do' get away with way too much, WAY too much. Problem I have is, not every cop is a bad cop, we only hear about the bad ones but the good ones go on silent and their job will be impacted by this too.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-01-2021 at 11:18 AM..

Old 06-01-2021, 11:12 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Many (most?) arrests occur during the course of serving warrants - the identify is established and they just need to find the person and arrest them. Warrant serving can be very dangerous compared to many of the normal day-to-day policing activities.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Many (most?) arrests occur during the course of serving warrants - the identify is established and they just need to find the person and arrest them. Warrant serving can be very dangerous compared to many of the normal day-to-day policing activities.
Not true, in my experience arrests are complex and multi-faceted. Motor vehicle stops yield arrests, simply noise complaints, fights, disorderly conduct, narcotics arrests, etc.

Serving a warrant vs. encountering someone with a warrant are equally dangerous. Some can be minor, like a failure to appear vs. a homicide warrant.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Here's my big question though, what about the times when a cop does encounter a violent in-progress crime, or comes upon a suspect who committed a violent crime while on patrol. I get the idea of armed officers being stationed to be called during situations that require armed officers, but if they are called out by the time they arrive the suspect is long gone. It's not quite the same as a fire fighter or an ambulance who is called out of station to arrive on a scene where the cause of the concern remains stationary awaiting to be resolved, these will be suspects are capable of mobility (where a fire or medical emergency is typically immobile) who willfully resist arrest and will do whatever they can to evade detention.

I'm all for de-escalation training, and I personally prefer higher quality officers with social awareness to be hired to begin with whom may be less susceptible to engage in unnecessary violence (this is what I personally feel police reform should be about). but how do cops catch dangerous criminals if they do not do it during the time / event of the crime or while on patrol? what other method is there? Wouldn't more mentally trained officers be less susceptible of using unnecessary force even if they had that force available to them for the event they may need it?

To 'me' this just feels like public distrust of police .. of which probably will not cease unless they are completely neutered .. In some cases this is very warranted but I feel this isn't being heavily thought out on a broad sense but more on personal experiences and localized opinions over something that affects a much broader range of society. I do realize the bad cops 'do' get away with way too much, WAY too much. Problem I have is, not every cop is a bad cop, we only hear about the bad ones but the good ones go on silent and their job will be impacted by this too.
You have a very good perception of what's going on and what needs to be done. I have worked with bad cops, untrained cops, but they are in the minority. I am all about common sense Police Reform, not virtue signaling radical reform, in the end, it only hurts the community.

Edit: To the person who repped me, the Union did not stand up for bad cops, most of them were fired, unfortunately not every system is 100% and there were a few that slipped through the cracks.

Last edited by NightZeroTX; 06-01-2021 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-01-2021, 11:55 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

I couldnt find any data but here is an anecdote

https://www.quora.com/How-often-do-p...ding-to-a-call

Quote:
In nearly 20 years on third shift, and being very pro-active in getting out of the car and checking areas on foot, I have only interrupted three or four burglaries in-progress.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:36 PM

11,795 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I couldnt find any data but here is an anecdote

https://www.quora.com/How-often-do-p...ding-to-a-call
This probably varies wildly between departments and areas. For Austin specifically - this case would probably be fairly valid as I don’t see Austin particularly as high crime in the sense of violent crime under ordinary circumstances at least. Still though I think the bigger problem with police induced violence is their recruits, not their guns. I personally would rather see more investment in more quality officers rather than disarming them as I feel the right mentally prepared officer would not resort to using one unless circumstances demand for it... but are still available for that occasion where they need to use it. That an more accountability on a department level which is something severely lacking on a national level when a cop uses a firearm.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
I am a retired LEO, fairly new here. Has their been an uptick in crime lately? I have heard the Police have been defunded, not really sure but it has been brought to my attention that they are extremely short staffed. A friend of mine who is still on the job back home sent me this -

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/apd...for-12-minutes
Art Acevado ruined Austin Police force, then corrupted Houston's and extorted their city council, and when things got HOT there(lying on affidavits) Art bailed and moved to Miami FL. to corrupt them and create the ultimate Police State there.

Bad Cops get good cops hurt and killed, by resentment.
Retaliation among the APD ranks, for blowing the whistle on a Bad Cop, keeps the Blue-Line Gang in check.
The worlds largest organized crime gang.... Us v. Them, attitudes runs through the Blue-Line (Freemason) Gang
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin