Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving from Southern California to Texas, seeking opinions on Texas living, weather in winter and summer, crime rates, cost of living, taxes, traffic

View Poll Results: TX from SoCal?
Austin 12 24.49%
Anywhere else in TX 3 6.12%
San Diego 34 69.39%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:29 AM

739 posts, read 3,057,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
I you look anywhere near central cities of SoCal there is no development or sprawl.. it's moved 75 miles away...

Well, fact is now that the downtown areas are the place to be. We did have sprawl in the 80's, but people look at it now and can't stand the commutes. The more desire able places in SoCal are within a 5 mile radius of downtown, the further away you go... the less people care. Less to do, less to see, cheaper big house... WHO CARES!
Man,

First, you are the type of person that gives the rest of us transplants to Texas a bad reputation. Seriously.

Secondly, I disagree about the 5 mile radius. The 5 mile radius around downtown has crappy neighborhoods. I should know- I lived in one. I couldn't wait to get out. Im now 26 and live in La Mesa with my wife of 2 months We love our 'burb. It was close to college and has great community. I wouldn't trade that for near downtown at all. Also, I love the Poway area. Its beautiful and scenic even though it is 35 minutes or more away from downtown. Who cares? If I had children, that is where I would move. If you want to drink all the time, go party, and go to bars all the time, than I guess the downtown life is for you. I had an office that was in the Spreckels theatre, across the street from the NBC building, that overlooked Broadway. I hated going to downtown to my office because of all the crappy parking and crappy traffic. Not to mention the constant construction everywhere. I much prefer my office in La Mesa. Plus I spent too much eating out in downtown all the time

My point being, you stereotype not only your own city, but a place you have never been to! But thats okay, I would rather Californians like you don't go to Texas because it gives people like me a bad rep. People like me who want to move to Texas for more than just economical reasons.

I will tell you this though. My wife was born in Dana Point (probably one of the most beautiful Orange Country costal towns) and moved to San Diego for college. Her whole life was spent in SoCal. We went to Texas and she loved it! Of course there were things she didn't like. But she loved it. Why? She went with an open attitude willing to give it a chance. And that was the DFW area. We haven't even been to Austin yet (wohoo 20 more days until our trip to the Capital!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 02:28 AM

669 posts, read 1,612,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Man,

First, you are the type of person that gives the rest of us transplants to Texas a bad reputation. Seriously.

Well... sorry! A bad rep? I hope you're welcomed there... I heard it's friendlier than here for the most part. Anyways....

Secondly, I disagree about the 5 mile radius. The 5 mile radius around downtown has crappy neighborhoods. I should know- I lived in one. I couldn't wait to get out. Im now 26 and live in La Mesa with my wife of 2 months We love our 'burb. It was close to college and has great community. I wouldn't trade that for near downtown at all. Also, I love the Poway area. Its beautiful and scenic even though it is 35 minutes or more away from downtown. Who cares? If I had children, that is where I would move. If you want to drink all the time, go party, and go to bars all the time, than I guess the downtown life is for you. I had an office that was in the Spreckels theatre, across the street from the NBC building, that overlooked Broadway. I hated going to downtown to my office because of all the crappy parking and crappy traffic. Not to mention the constant construction everywhere. I much prefer my office in La Mesa. Plus I spent too much eating out in downtown all the time

Yes true, true, Downtown isn't completely all built back up, but it's getting there... but the whole area near point loma, littly Italy, Hillcrest, mission/fashion valley, north park and downtown it's changed alot since I grew up and all for the better. I guess for me and my liking... it's more down my alley. La MESA! Well, I'm very familiar w/ the area myself... I used to work at Grossmont high school. I'd actually consider La Mesa urban in my opinion. It's land locked, no or little development (more renovation if anything) close to the city... far from La mesa to central SD 5 minutes? And poway.. used to live on the border of poway and carmel mountain... again.. love that area too! Very scenic mountains, a little out of the way for my liking, but has a small town feel like La mesa, in a big city. Those 2 places, I can say are very nice areas outside of SD, but close enough. Yes, downtown unless you're paying big $$$ for parking isn't worth while... yes esp w/ all the construction it makes it more difficult...

My point being, you stereotype not only your own city, but a place you have never been to! But thats okay, I would rather Californians like you don't go to Texas because it gives people like me a bad rep. People like me who want to move to Texas for more than just economical reasons.
I will tell you this though. My wife was born in Dana Point (probably one of the most beautiful Orange Country costal towns) and moved to San Diego for college. Her whole life was spent in SoCal. We went to Texas and she loved it! Of course there were things she didn't like. But she loved it. Why? She went with an open attitude willing to give it a chance. And that was the DFW area. We haven't even been to Austin yet (wohoo 20 more days until our trip to the Capital!).
Well, never been to Austin, but DFW and SA. NOt long enough to get a feel, but just to check it out. But I'm so curious and this is why I put this posting out there.. then why are you moving? Again, stereotypes are only correct most of the time (case being here, people moving to TX for jobs and affordable housing). But if you don't fall in that category you're the first I've met who's reasons aren't economics which is great so you'd be great for me bc you have a different perspective.
Dana point.. yes is beautiful....
Thing is in SD if you're not a outdoorsy person or into the beaches or recreation here or partying... this aint the place. For young people 21-30 who are the people moving here it seems to be the place of choice. And reason why the can't stay are... well ....$$$.
And I guess me personally, I'm very spontaneous... I will wake up and w/out planning it take the kiddies to Disneyland... or I'd skip work & they'd skip school and we'll go snowboarding... I'll be bored on a friday morning and say who's down to go to Vegas tonight? Etc, etc, things unique to here are what's keeping my soul at ease. I"m kinda a thrill seeker and I guess not having some options to me in TX would get to me. Even as I age, I don't want to feel like I'm getting old.... but to each his own... heck I grew up in El centro, small little town by AZ and mexico border... even that has it's ups and downs too... SD isn't for everyone and TX isn't for everyone, but I must say, here it is tough to beat for a great, fun, diverse, all-round family friendly place (that is if people can afford it)
Thanks for the post!

Old 05-14-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Well, never been to Austin, but DFW and SA. NOt long enough to get a feel, but just to check it out. But I'm so curious and this is why I put this posting out there.. then why are you moving? Again, stereotypes are only correct most of the time (case being here, people moving to TX for jobs and affordable housing). But if you don't fall in that category you're the first I've met who's reasons aren't economics which is great so you'd be great for me bc you have a different perspective.
Dana point.. yes is beautiful....
Thing is in SD if you're not a outdoorsy person or into the beaches or recreation here or partying... this aint the place. For young people 21-30 who are the people moving here it seems to be the place of choice. And reason why the can't stay are... well ....$$$.
And I guess me personally, I'm very spontaneous... I will wake up and w/out planning it take the kiddies to Disneyland... or I'd skip work & they'd skip school and we'll go snowboarding... I'll be bored on a friday morning and say who's down to go to Vegas tonight? Etc, etc, things unique to here are what's keeping my soul at ease. I"m kinda a thrill seeker and I guess not having some options to me in TX would get to me. Even as I age, I don't want to feel like I'm getting old.... but to each his own... heck I grew up in El centro, small little town by AZ and mexico border... even that has it's ups and downs too... SD isn't for everyone and TX isn't for everyone, but I must say, here it is tough to beat for a great, fun, diverse, all-round family friendly place (that is if people can afford it)
Thanks for the post!
Okay, after reading this post I can tell we have totally different perspectives on life Ive actually never been to Vegas because I hate gambling (unless it is a $10 buy-in poker game with the guys), I would never allow my kids to skip school on a whim to go snowboarding ect. My perspective is that of a more conservative, younger, Christian. However, that doesn't mean I don't like to have fun- I just have different types of fun.

Reasons why I want to move (In no particular order)

- My wife wants and adventure and to try something new other than SoCal.
- I want a slower pace life.
- I miss how friendly people are in Texas. Here in California, from at least my experiences, everyone is so involved in themselves and really want to be left alone. I have never gotten to know any of my neighbors in the 6 years I have been in San Diego. I was originally born in Texas and moved in 2nd grade to Ca. However, we moved a bit while I was there and the thing I remember most about Texas was the sense of community and how nice everyone is.
- I do want to be able to afford a nice house
- I own two small businesses. A technology consulting company and a web startup with investors. California is pretty brutal to small business. Texas is more appealing to me as a small business owner.
- When I eventually do have children, I would rather them go to a school that is good. Honestly, Ca has a pretty crappy education system. If it wasn't for my parents and about 5 other families petitioning and fighting for us to attend school two towns over, I can only imagine what kind of education I would have received. We were able to get transferred to a different town's school district because it was FAR superior than mine.
- I would rather be in a more conservative state. However, I was lucky to live in SD which is one of the more conservative places in Ca. And I realize Austin is one of the more liberal places in Texas. The trip in June should be interesting
- My wife wants to get a masters degree in social work and Texas offers two public schools with good programs- UT Austin and UT Arlington.
- I like the fact that talking about Church and God in Texas happens. In California it is like a punishable sin to do such.
- I wouldn't mind being in a state with a SURPLUS. California is soo in debt that they screw small business and public servants like teachers.
- And lastly, this could totally be a stereotype on my part, but I like that fact that Texas has some national pride- I don't get that here in California. I absolutely love my country.

I hope that answers your questions. Im not going to lie- economical factors play a role, but they are not the only reason. However, I can tell that many of the above mentioned reasons are reasons you probably do not care about.

I will miss the weather and mountains of California though. But you have to give some to gain some.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Man,

Quote:
Okay, after reading this post I can tell we have totally different perspectives on life Ive actually never been to Vegas because I hate gambling (unless it is a $10 buy-in poker game with the guys), I would never allow my kids to skip school on a whim to go snowboarding ect. My perspective is that of a more conservative, younger, Christian. However, that doesn't mean I don't like to have fun- I just have different types of fun.
Just different philosophies...
Reasons why I want to move (In no particular order)

- My wife wants and adventure and to try something new other than SoCal.
Nothing wrong with that... it's definitely not for everyone.
- I want a slower pace life.
that is true.... it is brutal and not easy for everyone. It is bang bang here... forget buying a place.. moving here just to rent is insane for anyone

- I miss how friendly people are in Texas. Here in California, from at least my experiences, everyone is so involved in themselves and really want to be left alone. I have never gotten to know any of my neighbors in the 6 years I have been in San Diego. I was originally born in Texas and moved in 2nd grade to Ca. However, we moved a bit while I was there and the thing I remember most about Texas was the sense of community and how nice everyone is.
That I would have to agree. People here being that most are not from CA themselves aren't into meeting other people like I thought. Smaller CA towns have more of the same feel I must say.
- I do want to be able to afford a nice house
It can happen in CA, just gotta think big and maybe give it some time.. but if you want a nice house now.. TX is the way to go...

- I own two small businesses. A technology consulting company and a web startup with investors. California is pretty brutal to small business. Texas is more appealing to me as a small business owner.
That is definitely another HUGE REASON! CA is tough on business big and small... it's hard to do anything... labor laws and such.. having to pay higher wages.. it's all $$$ out of our (or your pocket)

- When I eventually do have children, I would rather them go to a school that is good. Honestly, Ca has a pretty crappy education system. If it wasn't for my parents and about 5 other families petitioning and fighting for us to attend school two towns over, I can only imagine what kind of education I would have received. We were able to get transferred to a different town's school district because it was FAR superior than mine.
I do find that true and false.. I found an excellent website for CA school rating by Map. There are not really many middle ground schools... they're either bad or good. Living in Del Mar or poway or carlsbad you get the best schools in the state... go to El Cajon, Escondido, parts of Chula Vista, they're the worst. It's all on where you live so it is tough. But I must say if you're fortunate enough to live in a good district it's far superior to most schools in the nation. But again.... those areas are generally affluent.

- I would rather be in a more conservative state. However, I was lucky to live in SD which is one of the more conservative places in Ca. And I realize Austin is one of the more liberal places in Texas. The trip in June should be interesting
Yes you're right on the button. SD is probably one of the last major conservative cities in the US. I would like to know about Austin though when you visit. I do also think that we have also the most liberal places in the US.. SF and LA..

- My wife wants to get a masters degree in social work and Texas offers two public schools with good programs- UT Austin and UT Arlington.
Good for her... social work isn't a job you do for $$ either (my sister in law does it here) and it's more about helping people....

- I like the fact that talking about Church and God in Texas happens. In California it is like a punishable sin to do such.
True

- I wouldn't mind being in a state with a SURPLUS. California is soo in debt that they screw small business and public servants like teachers.
Yes, our laws here are anti-business and anti-growth, people still come in droves though. I did find this to be a big factor, TX NO where near pays their public employees what CA does (granted cost of living..., but still!). That's our big problem.... for example... nearly 25% of the city of SD made over 100,000 this year! That's of a total work force of about 9,000 employees. Veteran teacher's here make nearly 100,000k. I do think we sometimes are TOO nice to our public employees which is the cause for our debt. Furthermore, city management and higher ups make more more THAN SUPREME COURT JUSTICES OF THE US! Every city manager or even asst. city manager pulls in more $$$ than the Vice president

- And lastly, this could totally be a stereotype on my part, but I like that fact that Texas has some national pride- I don't get that here in California. I absolutely love my country.
Yes, again something I mentioned I like. And that's mainly bc most of the cities here in CA don't allow for many kids... it's just too pricy. In TX... I'd be surprised not to see a family w/ several kids.. in CA... it's a rarity (esp urban areas)
I hope that answers your questions. Im not going to lie- economical factors play a role, but they are not the only reason. However, I can tell that many of the above mentioned reasons are reasons you probably do not care about.
well that was kinda of point... $$ alone.. where's the better for me and family?
I will miss the weather and mountains of California though. But you have to give some to gain some.
very true.... there are places throughout the midwest outside of TX that make TX looks expensive still...

Old 05-14-2008, 05:31 PM

122 posts, read 407,566 times
Quote:
Man,

I was born in LA. Moved to Oceanside and then to Poway. You are right. Poway has a great reputation for schools, and family. However, it has gotten very big. We moved to Austin last August. We didn't sell in CA to build a McMansion in Austin. We just wanted a change. People have been very nice here, and we are adapting well. If you overanalyze anywhere, you can find good and bad. I would not encourage anyone to move to Austin if they are looking for a Texas California.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub77cub View Post
I was born in LA. Moved to Oceanside and then to Poway. You are right. Poway has a great reputation for schools, and family. However, it has gotten very big. We moved to Austin last August. We didn't sell in CA to build a McMansion in Austin. We just wanted a change. People have been very nice here, and we are adapting well. If you overanalyze anywhere, you can find good and bad. I would not encourage anyone to move to Austin if they are looking for a Texas California.
Well said! Like I said above, we visited with open minds and liked what we saw.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:20 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,448 times
Quote:
Well to be honest...I should make the point that those moving to TX from CA are those probably struggling to make... ie... if they were making it they probably would have stayed. TX is definintely taking our lower middle class where cost of living is the attractive part of moving to TX. People who live in the "city" part of SoCal.. believe me they're not going anywhere.. those living on the outskirts just squeking by.... they're moving out in droves..

I would love to see what it's like. It never hurt to check it... heck I love new places - just found SoCal to have a little or alot of everything which why it's never a dull moment and never the same thing twice....

And I guess it's not about recreating the same thing, but getting the most of everything from where I"m at.. I don't want to limit myself bc of where I live. Well thanks for the insight, but I'd love to know more!
I think there is a certain sort of person that can't stay put in one place. There is always some "next big thing" place that they think is utopia. Austin is one of these places now. Its just a fun mid-sized city, mostly like any other its size, and most college cities, like Madison, have essentially the same ambience. Again, certain people, ususally the same people who have difficulty sticking with careers, are always looking for some city that makes their life complete, when its the way they are conducting their life that is the problem. A city won't do that for you. As the above post says, someone successful and settled, grounded and making money, is far more unlikely to unmore and jump ship. The most important thing is to get one's "life" settled, along with a career. Just as a mate will not compensate for inner lacking, a city will not compensate for an indecisive life. Jumping around from place to place actually precludes career success, as one never spends enough time setting down roots in the business community.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:29 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,654 times
Didn't read all the responses. We were just in SoCal. If I could afford it, and weren't afraid of earthquakes, I'd definitely live there.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:27 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,073 times
I lived in SoCal for four years and couldn't wait to move "home" to Texas, so I understand how your wife feels. I wanted to address a couple of things from your first post: 1) Our "urban sprawl" suburbs are WAY closer to downtown Austin than the "suburbs" you mentioned are to downtown LA. 2) Although San Diego was beautiful, as a Texas girl I thought it was too cold at nights and the ocean was too cold to even wade in. So, for ME, the weather wasn't perfect.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
I think there is a certain sort of person that can't stay put in one place. There is always some "next big thing" place that they think is utopia. Austin is one of these places now. Its just a fun mid-sized city, mostly like any other its size, and most college cities, like Madison, have essentially the same ambience. Again, certain people, ususally the same people who have difficulty sticking with careers, are always looking for some city that makes their life complete, when its the way they are conducting their life that is the problem. A city won't do that for you. As the above post says, someone successful and settled, grounded and making money, is far more unlikely to unmore and jump ship. The most important thing is to get one's "life" settled, along with a career. Just as a mate will not compensate for inner lacking, a city will not compensate for an indecisive life. Jumping around from place to place actually precludes career success, as one never spends enough time setting down roots in the business community.
thanks for the feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin