Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 03:39 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite888 View Post
Hi i received my appraised value and my appraised value is way lower than the market price by 100K. Should i still try my luck in protesting? Or should i not protest, for fear that if they find out they "make a mistake", they could increase my appraised value? Should i still try my chance and protest in hopes of bringing it ever lower than it already is?

Thanks!
If your taxable base is lower than the market value doesn't that mean your property taxes are lower? Why would you want to change that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 04:41 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If your taxable base is lower than the market value doesn't that mean your property taxes are lower? Why would you want to change that?
From my understanding, in Austin metro atleast (and possibly the rest of Texas) the taxable base lags market value in most cases. This seems to be a normality. I think he is fighting the large ‘jump’ more than anything else and is concerned that protesting could cause his rates to be increased ‘to’ market value.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:42 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Your friendly neighborhood realtor and the MLS
The MLS won't provide the price that homes actually sold for. And most friendly neighborhood Realtors will assault you with sales pitches, junk mail, and email until the end of the world.

Redfin now has sold prices. You need to create an account, but it's free. I used a burner email, so I don't get spam. Note that Redfin will only have sold price info if the house was financed, not for cash transactions.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:01 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
The MLS has actual sales prices in almost all cases, you just can't see it unless you are a paying member of the MLS. Redfin accesses the MLS to get its sales data, I think.

I personally know four people that are licensed realtors. Probably more and don't know it. In any case, probably any one of them will get me the data I need and not bug me - they all do it as a side or a hobby or just not full time anymore for whatever reason.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:05 AM

4,851 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
something also to consider - the valuation may just be on the land and some of the improvements, which is common with new builds. not sure if you can actually protest now anyway
True. ^^

Lots of folks are surprised when they see the tax bill the first year everything is done and on there. Sometimes that's a HUGE difference, and they have no idea until the 'escrow shortage' letter comes from the mortgage company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: