Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 05:58 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times

Advertisements

Delta messed up when they left DFW years ago. That business move made them a none factor in the state. American & Southwest will make sure they don’t gain a foot hole back in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 08:05 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Delta messed up when they left DFW years ago. That business move made them a none factor in the state. American & Southwest will make sure they don’t gain a foot hole back in Texas.
They were losing so much money at DFW. It stinks but they could hang on financially. I can’t call it a mistake because it would have driven them under to hang on.

Old 07-17-2021, 08:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
That wasn’t a mistake at all. It didn’t make any financial sense.

Old 07-17-2021, 08:47 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
Delta was bankrupt in 2005. According to a January 30th article:

Delta ending three decades of hub operations at DFW Airport

Quote:
Two dozen gates at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport are up for grabs with financially troubled Delta Air Lines shutting down one of its four airport hubs.

The Atlanta-based carrier on Monday was to end three decades of hub operations at the North Texas airport, leaving a dramatically reduced number of flights at DFW.
Then later in the year:

Delta Air Lines - Wikipedia

Quote:
On September 14, 2005, the company filed for bankruptcy, citing rising fuel costs. It emerged from bankruptcy in April 2007 after fending off a hostile takeover from US Airways and its shares were re-listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
As a result, AA was able to become more dominant in its DFW home.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:22 PM

3,142 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
More likely Houston. DL still needs a western hub to serve the Southern U.S. more effectively. The Houston market is ripe for a competitor to UA's stranglehold. After the merger, hometown loyalty evaporated as everything moved to Chicago and United brought Yankee management and customer service to the South.

UA is focused on business and international connection travel--the other hubs are in the Big 5 of N.Y.C., D.C., Chicago, L.A., and S.F. and Denver being the center of the Rocky Mountain West. DL and AA have the bigger share of domestic and leisure travelers for the Big 3. Austin just doesn't have the demand to justify a Big 3 hub.
If the whole idea of burning through millions of dollars for years (and the lack of gates) didn't exist, they probably could eventually supplant UA in Houston. We mostly fly UA because we have to, but I do think theyve improved over the years and they don't seem to be as hated locally as in years past.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
If the whole idea of burning through millions of dollars for years (and the lack of gates) didn't exist, they probably could eventually supplant UA in Houston. We mostly fly UA because we have to, but I do think theyve improved over the years and they don't seem to be as hated locally as in years past.
Not a chance. It MAY in Austin because it doesn’t already have one of America’s premier airline hubs. It’s silly to even think it were possible.

Also, American is the worst of the big 3. We are blessed to have them instead of American. Delta is ranked the highest with American last. The reason for market share throughout Texas all deal with history.

And even if it were about a long bloody price war, there’s not a single beneficiary for American. United is MUCH healthier financially than American and it’s not close. American would lose that war even if it were only about finance.

Edit: I changed my it works to it May work. Even Austin is a question mark long term.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 07-20-2021 at 07:47 PM..

Old 07-20-2021, 07:48 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,985,265 times
AA Hubs in 2003 post TWA Merge
-Dallas/Fort Worth
-St. Louis Lambert
-Chicago O'Hare
-Boston Logan
-San Juan
-Miami International
*Focus City: Los Angeles*
*Focus City: San Jose, CA
*Focus City: New York Kennedy*

AA Hubs in 2008 post restructure
-Dallas/Fort Worth
-St. Louis Lambert
-Chicago O'Hare
-Miami International
-San Juan
*Focus City: Boston*
*Focus City: St. Louis
*Focus City: New York Kennedy

*Focus City: Los Angeles*

AA Hubs in 2012 post 'cornerstone' strategy model
-Dallas/Fort Worth
-Chicago O'Hare
-Miami International
-Los Angeles
-New York Kennedy
*Focus City: New York: LGA

AA Hubs 2021 post US Airways Merge
-Dallas Fort Worth
-Charlotte
-Chicago O'Hare
-Miami
-Philadelphia
-Washington National
-Los Angeles
-New York LGA
-New York Kennedy
*AA in procees of adding 18+ new destinations to Austin*
*AA in process of adding cities like London-LHR, Fort Lauderdale, St. Louis, Raleigh, Indianapolis, Toronto, Colombus, Cincinatti, and ~10 others. New partnership with B6 in BOS and frequency increases*
*AA adding international routes out of SEA including London, Bangalore and Shanghai in partnership with AS*

Looking at the Hub History, AA always plays around with them. AUS BOS RDU have all recently ramped up in recent months. I think in the next three years, AA does have plans to grow into either a focus city or hub in BOS and AUS. More so in AUS. AA seems to want to tackle some business and leisure in/out of AUS and this seems like a smart next decision to make.

Id say 60% chance AUS becomes a hub/focus for AA by 2023.
45% for BOS. 30% for SEA/RDU..

Old 07-21-2021, 10:01 AM

3,142 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Not a chance. It MAY in Austin because it doesn’t already have one of America’s premier airline hubs. It’s silly to even think it were possible.

Also, American is the worst of the big 3. We are blessed to have them instead of American. Delta is ranked the highest with American last. The reason for market share throughout Texas all deal with history.

And even if it were about a long bloody price war, there’s not a single beneficiary for American. United is MUCH healthier financially than American and it’s not close. American would lose that war even if it were only about finance.

Edit: I changed my it works to it May work. Even Austin is a question mark long term.
No, I meant Delta could supplant UA in Houston, not American. Sorry should have made that more clear. American sucks lol. I don't love United, but I'll take them over AA every time.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:52 AM

483 posts, read 532,172 times
This is great. I don't fly often and don't know when the next time I will but more direct flights and more carrier options is a good thing for the average flyer. Southwest totally dominated Austin when I moved here and I used to really like them back a long time ago but now I think they are as expensive as the others and I never cared much for the whole open seating thing, I think it's a game to get people to the gate early to improve their on time departures. The easy baggage policy also encourages a lot of families with young children to fly them which is great for them but not so great for me as I fly for business solo about half the times I do fly. It's also nice to have the option to purchase a first class upgrade since I'm not paying for the flight itself a lot of times.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:44 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
More likely Houston. DL still needs a western hub to serve the Southern U.S. more effectively. The Houston market is ripe for a competitor to UA's stranglehold. After the merger, hometown loyalty evaporated as everything moved to Chicago and United brought Yankee management and customer service to the South.

UA is focused on business and international connection travel--the other hubs are in the Big 5 of N.Y.C., D.C., Chicago, L.A., and S.F. and Denver being the center of the Rocky Mountain West. DL and AA have the bigger share of domestic and leisure travelers for the Big 3. Austin just doesn't have the demand to justify a Big 3 hub.
Houston has about 2/3 of the O&D that the DFW market has. If it didnt work there, it wont work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin