Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:36 AM

17 posts, read 78,303 times

Advertisements

Last night at around 9pm, there was a hugh hail storm such that the hail is travelling almost "horizontally" (instead of vertically -- from sky to ground). It hits the windows so hard and luckily no window is broken. This is the first time I see hail traveling "horizontally" in this speed. My neighbor told me that there was a tornado in Brushy Creeky. Anyone from Brushy creek can talk about it?

This morning, I can see tree branches and leaves on the ground. It looks like the house roof and windows are intact. I did not see any damage to the houses in the whole neighborhood.

Do I need to ask someone to check my roof?
Should I call my insurance company or hire an inspector by myself?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 07:48 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Most likely (if the hail was bad enough) a small horde of 'roof inspectors' from roof repair companies will be out in your neighborhood. To be fair, most of them seem to know what theya re doing. Anyway, they drive around and look at roofs from the street/sidewalk and if they think it looks bad, they will come knock on your door and/or leave a flyer asking you to call them and have them look at your roof. They then get a ladder and check your roof more closely.

Of couse, you can just call them yourself out of the yellow pages, but the last couple of times I have just flagged one down while they were looking at another house.

If you are interested yourself, you can go up on your roof and look for 'startburst' cracks/patterns on the shingles, or raised and/or depressed dimples in the shingles. Older roofs are much more susceptible to damage - a new roof (less than two or three years) is more pliable and can often survive undamged through a severe hailstorm, while an old roof will often get damaged in a relatively mild hailstorm. If you see any collection of granules in your gutters (not just after a storm), you probably have an older, less pliable roof and should have it checked.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
Unless you know what to look for and what is normal do NOT let anyone driving around offering inspections on your roof! Period.

Call your agent, they'll get someone out there in plenty of time. Hail doesn't cause "leaks" per se. It causes, as kleppekleppe pointed out, damage which will lead to leaks. Nationwide used to call us whenever a hail storm hit and tll us approximately when they'd be out. I think you have a year on hail damage to get it inspected.

Good luck

golfgod

Old 05-15-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Unless you know what to look for and what is normal do NOT let anyone driving around offering inspections on your roof! Period.
They are only looking at it.....if they say there is damage, then definitely call your agent and they will send someone official out to check it. I would not sign up for work from any of these guys directly. If they say there is no damage, then you can make the call on whether to have someone from your ins. come look at it. In big storms, it can take quite a while (a couple weeks, maybe) for even the big ins. companies to get someone out. Anyway, most of these guys (okay, the two that I have talked to) were informative and friendly and were basically hoping that when the ins. adjuster came out, that the homeowneres would remember them first . They never actually tried to sell me anything...

Old 05-15-2008, 10:00 AM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times
You may even receive a letter from your insurance company, 'cause they pay attention to these things, asking if you'd like them to send someone out to inspect.

I know...I didn't believe it the first time we received a letter, for a car which was stored in Dallas, and there had been a storm in the area.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:02 AM

The ins. companies would much rather fix your roof quick and avoid damage due to potential leakage around lost/damage shingles . Not sure on the motivator behind having you fix your car, though....

Old 05-19-2008, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 16,485 times
I agree that you need to get your roof looked at. [mod]advertising[/mod] They came out and looked and my roof and told me there was damage. They met with my insurance adjuster and pointed out all the damage and made sure I got paid for all the damage. They also did a temporary patch, because I had a hole in my roof. Never give money up front before the roof has been started, wait untill the roof is complete to pay for the job.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-19-2008 at 02:29 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 14,518 times
I agree with cgibson06 I am a roofer and insurance adjuster for a adjustment firm (like most professional roofers) most roofers are pretty smart guys even the storm chasers (roofers from outside of your metro area) and we know when there is and isn't damage, which often to the untrained eye can be hard to see, sometimes to the trained eye it can be tough. That being said, if left unattended over time more often than naught it will cause a leak within 4 years, (and at that point in time your homeowners insurance will not cover it; and adjusters can tell how old the damage is by looking)

Old 12-13-2009, 05:34 PM

97 posts, read 263,933 times
My two cents: Call your insurance company!

Our insurance company recommended three roofers with whom they had established relationships. Using one of these extended the warranties on the roofs (we had two totaled; remember that storm that broke out car windows on Mopac?).

Also, there is a lot of competition for your business, so I would ask for things like a free upgrade to dimensional (30-year) shingles, ridge vents, drip edges, etc.

And I'm going to respectfully disagree with roofguy, just because my experience is that the roofing industry has plenty of shysters. (Like so many others--)

Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 PM

3 posts, read 20,570 times
its funny how many people here appear to trust there insurance company. The insurance business is the 2ND LARGEST PROFITABLE industry. They make there money off of you! They are NOT here to represent you, work in your favor, or best interest. They are professional negotiators! Why would you call your insurance company? Did they call you and tell you that you should have your roof inspected you might qualify for a new roof plus tens of thousands in collateral damage repair...and if u don't fix it now you will have to fix it 4 years later on your own or get dropped! No they didn't. And yes they know about the storm and the damage, and they are hoping they don't have to pay you for it. You 100% need some one to represent you and your best interest! Do you know how much 30yr costs per SQ installed, or 25yr, or what they paid your neighbor, or how many sq your roof is? Are you a professional salesman trained in negotiating? So how are you going to negotiate with someone who does? Find a good roofing company! and yes good companies drive around door to door. Look for a company who has been in business for a long time and only services your state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin