Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:15 PM

30 posts, read 140,155 times

Advertisements

Adding small drops of tea tree oil to any shampoo and conditioner will also prevent them. I always do this before my girls go off to camp. I learned this trick from a friend who did some ministry work in 3rd world orphanages.

Also, lice cannot survive in dirty hair. If there is too much oil or other stuff in the hair, they cannot get close enough to the scalp to create an infestation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 08:11 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think it becomes an issue when the adults in the children's lives make it an issue. .
I agree.

PS I have heard mayonnaise kills them, too!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I'll give a 3rd amen to that

Old 05-16-2008, 06:09 AM

316 posts, read 849,565 times
The purpose of this poll is to get input for possible policy change. The goal is to protect each child's privacy. It is necessary to: 1) preserve a child's dignity and 2) adhere to federal privacy mandates.

Please continue to share your thoughts and suggestions.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:11 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Okay, so we know now for sure that you don't agree with the policy. But what do YOU think the change should be?

Old 05-16-2008, 06:15 AM

316 posts, read 849,565 times
I am taking a neutral stance in this poll. My task is to collect parental input. Thanks for your question.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:29 AM

447 posts, read 1,849,817 times
As an educator and a parent, I can understand the embarrassment, but I also know that 1. most school systems have the same or VERY similar policy, and 2. I don't know of a better way that the school can address it without creating an undue additional burden.

My son's school (in RRISD) had problems with lice, as most elementary schools do from time to time, and his teacher saw him scratching his head at the end of the day. Because she didn't want him to miss his afterschool bus, she didn't have time to send him to the nurse, but she did tell his aftercare bus driver that he "had lice". Consequently, he was isolated from his other aftercare friends, had to sit in the front area of the daycare, and I was called from work to immediately pick him up.

Turns out he didn't have lice at all - it was itchy scalp. Was it annoying and did he make sure to tell all his friends the next day that he did NOT have lice? Yes. Do I wish that his teacher hadn't made the assumption, causing him some undue embarrassment and me to miss a meeting? Yes. Do I think that it's a big enough deal to warrant an "inquiry into the policy" or cause a stink? No.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
When my son was in elementary school there were the "lice inspections" but none of them thought a thing about it. It was a casual mention when he came home from school.

Honestly I think parents are more upset than the kids.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:24 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Personally, lice inspections don't bother me. I refuse to be a helicopter parent following my daughter around trying to shield her from every thing life is going to throw at her. I hope I can just teach her how to deal with the emotions that these things may bring and be a good listener.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:04 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
I still like my idea...
Have lice inspections at the end of the day (preferrably Friday as another poster suggested) and then if the child has lice, the parent(s) are notified to come pick up their child. They have the entire week-end to treat the problem before school on Monday.

Holding the lice inspections at the end of the school day accomplishes 2 things.
1. The AISD will be successful in their goal of controlling the lice problem
2. The children will be spared embarrassment (and it is an embarrassment).

Kids can be cruel. Oh and on Monday morning, said children should be required to report to the nurses office to be rechecked for lice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin