Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:23 PM

7 posts, read 25,776 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

To make long story short: I was laid off back in February what gave me the chance to move to Austin. I did a lot of research in 2007 about the city and I was completely convinced that I was going to do just fine down here….

But ohhh surprise!!!!

1.- It’s going to be 2 months already and I cannot find a job!!!!!!!!!!!!....Is really $45,000 a year too much for a Managerial position???? I’m just being realistic and applying to jobs according to my expertise ( my areas: Sales, MKT, Business Development, Client Management, for those who are wondering about my background).

After these 2 months I have sent SEVERAL applications and only 2 calls for interviews....I do have a professional resume and yes, I always send cover letter!!

So my thoughts are:

-If I apply to higher positions: I do not have the expertise level to cover the job requirements…
-If I apply to positions suitable to my experience: no reply!! Or “You are overqualified” (yes, Hilton Hotels told me that)
-If I apply for lower job positions: Obviously I’m extremely overqualified!!! “If we hire you I cannot trust that you will stay with the company for long…”,..
-If I apply for Delivery Driver: ….cost-benefit says that’s impossible….(yes, I tried two times for food delivery and at the end I was going to end paying more for my gas…)

2. About my family? Oh yes, they are still at home, because my wife can’t quit her job and move here with me…my 2 year daughter? Fine!! Touching my face (sorry, computer screen) every time we see each other via Skype in a daily basis……

3. Cost of living calculator….. well, I guess mine was broken!!!! Nothing is cheaper (except real estate), or can anyone tell me why people keep saying Austin is cheaper??????? (groceries, electricity, gas, daycares, etc is just about the same!!!) (yes, I’m nagging because without a job I can’t afford it!!!!)

I just want to work and make a living like everyone else!!! Is that to much to ask?? What is going on?? And do you want to read something funny??? …“Falling unemployment rates, with Austin dropping from 3.8% to 3.6%....” at America's Recession-Proof Cities - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/americas-recession-proof-cities.html - broken link)

Now that I had the opportunity to vent out my problems, I have to ask you for HELP!!!....I tried all the recruiting agencies, tried Job sites, tried Texas workforce, etc……any other ideas????

Unfortunately for me (and my family), if I don’t get a job soon (3 weeks or a month) I will be flying back home (where I do not want to raise my family!!) to start a new job search and wait for another opportunity to run away from that city….what city you asked? Los Angeles….

Again, I ask for your help and any tips or comments would be greatly appreciated…By doing this you are helping a 30 yr old guy get a job and bring his family to their “”promised land/city” to raise a beautiful daughter and to have the chance to buy their first house….

Thanks a lot everyone and have a great weekend!!!!……
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 03:37 PM

314 posts, read 1,226,779 times
I hate to say this, but the Austin job market is very hard to break into for general positions - manager, administrative, sales, ect. There is just so much competition.

I would strongly suggest trying to find a job in Houston. It is a much easier task because the city is much larger. If you ultimately want to end up in Austin, try to look at companies that have branches in Houston and Austin. It may also be easier for your wife to get a position in Houston.

If you want to email me your resume, I would be happy to give you feedback. I helped in hiring our sales force at my old job, so I know what to look for. My email is jk@jenkirk.com.

Last edited by jenkirk; 05-16-2008 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 05-16-2008, 03:47 PM

76 posts, read 422,908 times
Jenkirk is right. From my experience (and I graduated from UT and have spent my entire career here), networking is essential. Business connections have generated job opportunities for myself as well as for my husband for the most part. And it's just not possible to make many quality connection is such a short time period. You also didn't mention what industry you're in. Job prospects can vary depending on you area of expertise. Btw -- I'm truly sorry that you're having such a rough time of it.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:11 PM

1,766 posts, read 940,406 times
Have you also looked into San Antonio? Perhaps you could find something there and commute from Kyle or Buda. That may be too far for you to drive but perhaps not coming from LA. Just a thought.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:41 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,606,858 times
I think I'll suggest what everyone else is. Check one of our other Texas cities. San Antonio actually isn't that far from Austin. Houston either, and it's much bigger than Austin. Houston has some very family friendly areas and cost of living is lower than in Austin. If it's the Hill Country you like, however, San Antonio is still Hill Country area.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:42 PM

7 posts, read 25,776 times
Thanks a lot Jen!! I will email my resume right away.... and also thank you also McDavis, austinaggie and love roses... I already started looking opportunities in San Antonio but nothing good 'til now...By the way, my last position was Regional Manager, Corporate Marketing for the Fiesta Americana Hotels (Grupo Posadas)...We launched the marketing dept. in LA but the corporate wanted to follow the same strategy they used in Mexico and the rest is history....

Again, thank you guys!!!

Arturo

Last edited by ARTUROJB; 05-16-2008 at 05:57 PM..

Old 05-16-2008, 07:56 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,990,447 times
You need to tailor your resume to the job you are applying for. This means editing for EVERY job you apply for. You're only overqualified if your resume tells the hiring manager you are. Plus, make sure your resume contains the same key words as the job description.

There's a lot of professional mixers in Austin. Find one for what you want to do and go meet people.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:48 PM

368 posts, read 1,780,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
You need to tailor your resume to the job you are applying for. This means editing for EVERY job you apply for. You're only overqualified if your resume tells the hiring manager you are. Plus, make sure your resume contains the same key words as the job description.
Actually, I've found one can be general enough in resume formatting, references, and wording, to not have to rewrite it for every application. That, in and of itself, would be neverending aggrivation.

This said, you should tailor your cover letter/cover e-mail for every job. You can use a general format, in which you can change significant details, but to start from scratch is unnecessary.

The job market here is red hot compared to other parts of the US. Vegas comes to mind...unless you want to drive a cab, wait tables, or clean rooms, that is.

Oh, and if you have 7 years of experience, you're overqualified for entry-level, and probably the next step after that, regardless of what the resume shows. Now, if you're leaving off huge amounts of time, that's different, but obvious disconnects in your appearance/age and what's on your resume will set off klaxons in HR.

For example, I have 7 years of IT (networking) on top of the 10 years in securities before that. I'm not going to be considered for entry-level anything. I go back two jobs in finance/securities just to show I made the move to IT cold, yet successfully, and that I didn't spend the first ten years out of school homeless and begging for a living.

FWIW, you have company. I've been here two months, have had half a dozen interviews, both in-person and telephone, and am looking both here and in San Antonio. I prefer here, and I refuse to return to the D/FW area, unless it's Ft. Worth...even then, I'd rather not.

Houston? Out of the question. I'll beg for money at a traffic light before that happens.

My records show I've applied for 40 positions, +/- five, in those two months, and I've heard back from 15. Not a bad percentage, I think.

In Vegas, I heard back from 15 applications in two years, not months, so it depends on where you're coming from.

I've seen many positions repeatedly posted on online job boards. It appears they're just to fill up space, or the like, as for a couple, I was the perfect candidate (perfect skill match, experience, etc.), yet I've never heard a peep. I don't believe for a second they're trying to fill them.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:46 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,563,243 times
Arturo,
You got PM

Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 PM

746 posts, read 3,720,531 times
Your problem. if I may call it that, is that you are RUNNING away from somewhere. That never works. You become anxious, rush things, and don't plan ahead with a clear mind, becoming manic, and probably putting that across to those who would hire you. Also, you don't have a solid job transfer, AND a family, yet are trying to wing it as if you were single. Whatever skills you have, unless they are extremely unique or viable, it will take time to get hired in any industry, including nursing and education. You need board certification, contacts, area familiarity, labor specifics(unions, temp hiring, government hiring, area regulations), and it takes time just to do your homework and prepping, not to mention network in an area where you don't know anyone from Adam. It's not uncommon to take 3-6 months to find a job even in a good job market. The better the job the more time it takes, unless you are willing to work at H-E-B for 8 dollars an hour.
My advice is to try temping part-time, and give it everything you have. You will feel FAR worse going back home empty handed. Take my word for it........also, stop brooding. Stay outer-focused, keep a positive mindset, and you will thrive in Austin.
Trust me on this......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin