Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 08:37 PM

10 posts, read 39,070 times

Advertisements

Hi.

My wife and I are moving to Austin soon and just went under contract on a home in the River Place subdivision (NW Austin, off 2222). Our realtor recommended three home inspectors:

- Pillar to Post
- Home Critic
- Quality Home Inspection (Joey Biddle)

Do any of you have any experience (good or bad) with any of the above? I did a search of these forums for home inspectors and saw some relevant posts, but none mentioned any of these three.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 07:24 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,016 times
Default Recommendation

Joey did a thorough survey on our house 6 years ago....

Old 05-21-2008, 06:30 PM

77 posts, read 382,509 times
Default P2p

Used Pillar to Post last year. Thorough. We were pleased.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:31 PM

529 posts, read 2,393,361 times
I've had clients use several companies here in Tucson, but for my last several deals have recommended Pillar to Post. My clients have been extremely satisfied and from comparing them to everyone else, I'd definitely give them a thumbs up.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:43 PM

11 posts, read 26,206 times
Post Tips!

When you purchase a home inspection:

1) Make sure you get a qualified inspector.
2) Don't pay for a termite inspection unless required too or recommended by your inspector after completion of your general home inspection.
3) Make sure your inspector has the knowledge & physical ability to perform a complete thorough inspection.
4) Be present at your inspection and watch. You might learn something!
5) Don't trust an inspector who bad mouths all of the other guys.
6) Being a member of an association just means they paid some dues.
7) If they can't build a house, do want them looking for what's wrong with yours?

Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Look at the number on the lisense also, the lower the number the longer in business from what my realtor told me.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:50 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Several of my clients have used Pillar to Post (they're one of the ones on the list I give them), and have had good experiences.

Haven't had any clients with experience with the others, so I can't help you there.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:23 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greenwell View Post
When you purchase a home inspection:

2) Don't pay for a termite inspection unless required too or recommended by your inspector after completion of your general home inspection.

6) Being a member of an association just means they paid some dues.
Mr. Greenwell,

I'm just curious why you would not recommend a WDI inspection for a home regardless of what an Inspector finds? This is not an attack just a question. I recommend that all buyers obtain WDI inspections regardless of the homes age and whether I find any indications or not. WDI inspections are generally cheap here in Texas and well worth the money.

I have to agree with you 100% on the reference to associations. I hear so many people advised to use an Inspector with "XXX" or "YYY" association as they are highly trained, tested, etc., etc. The fact is all of the major national, and state, associations have bad Inspectors in them right along with the good. Associations are there to serve the members and not the consumers.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:27 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
Look at the number on the lisense also, the lower the number the longer in business from what my realtor told me.
Hi neddy,

That is a true statement but be careful of using a license number as the method of choice. I've been behind some very long time Inspectors here in Texas and am shocked at what they have missed, misstated or were just plain wrong about. I've also seen the work of some relatively new Inspectors, with no previous construction background, who are so impressive that I have referred potential clients to when I am unable to service them due to other commitments.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:21 AM

11 posts, read 26,206 times
It's not that I wouldn't recommend one, rather than one shouldn't waste the money on it if it isn't needed. Not to mention most pest control companies will provide them free of charge anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin