Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 03:10 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,002 times

Advertisements

Is Austin the most overhyped city in America?

Austin has a world class university with the University of Texas and an extensive live music scene and many huge music festivals (SXSW, Austin City Limits).

The media gives Austin great coverage and it is ranked highly in many publications.

Some say it is overhyped and not everything it is made out to be.

What is your opinion of Austin? What do you love/hate about it? What does it not have you wish it did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 03:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
It's a nice place but it's not the utopia that all the magazines make it out to be.
I take those "top 10" with a grain of salt.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:03 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
Apparently it isn't the "Silicon Valley of the South" that I thought it was. I wish it had more jobs that paid better.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:15 PM

389 posts, read 1,630,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
Apparently it isn't the "Silicon Valley of the South" that I thought it was. I wish it had more jobs that paid better.
It is a simple supply and demand issue regarding your skill-set. What can you offer an Austin employer that a thousand other local techies can not?

Old 08-11-2008, 06:17 PM

23 posts, read 66,566 times
My opinion is that Austin is not all people try to make it out to be. I love the nature and how active people are but can't stand how hard it is to make genuine friendships here. Too many people want to party with extremely large crowds and get drunk out of their skulls...Seems like this is the activity of choice. I also wish there were better paying jobs, more jobs available, more diversity, cheaper homes near Zilker.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:19 PM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times
Like any other list, it focuses on things which may or may not be important to you.

Any place on the planet, cannot be the 'best place' because that place differs from person to person.

Love to ski? You're not going to dig on Hawaii. Love the coast? Avoid Colorado. Love the mountains? Georgia's southern hospitality isn't going to cut it.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:05 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
Not sure what would be the Silicon Valley of the South. To me, the "South" (culturally) ends somewhere around Houston. Austin has a lot more in common with the Southwest.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:22 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Austin is definitly the most overhyped city in the country. If world class universities is the baseline, many cities have MORE than 1 world class university. And many cities that would never make a top anything list have them as well (New Haven)...

Those lists are designed to increase circulation in cities with desirable demographics.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Quote:
Didn't you say you wouldn't look at Dell, and other similar employers because you wanted to live in a particular area? Maybe you are limiting yourself too much? Dell is a huge employer here.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:08 AM

25 posts, read 100,300 times
I don't know if it's the most overhyped city in America, but I have to agree with what some people have already said. There are many pluses to this city (music, food, nature and relatively low cost of living rank high on the list), but among the minuses:

- Often hard to find employment because you're competing with 50,000 UT students (not to mention the graduates)
- Lower pay (see above), especially in media because this is Neilsen market #51.
- No real walking neighborhoods, at least non on par with East Coast. Which means it's...
- ...harder to meet people because everyone goes from home to car to destination to car to home. Repeat.
- Hard to have drinks at a show unless you live downtown, pay big bucks for a cab, take forever on the bus, or drive drunk (Obviously stupid, and way too many people do this).
- Unimpressive public transit system.
- Painfully oppressive summer heat that never seems to let up.

But hey, this is Austin. It's still a cool city. And it's got a lot going on for it. Never buy into the hype. It's what you make of it, and Austin gives you a lot to work with.

Last edited by america_dude; 08-13-2008 at 06:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: