Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:55 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejaye View Post
Austin to SPI takes a little over six hours to drive, depending on traffic.

I agree the SPI is pretty empty compared to some of SoCal beaches, but they say it picks up a lot after memorial day and the whole month of March is a spring break nightmare. Lets not forget that in CA you have some beaches that aren't packed depending on where you go.....like blacks beach.....if you don't mind nude peeps.

I would say the biggest difference about the beach here vs CA is that in CA your having to drive to the beach most likely and fight the traffic find parking and then try to relax, when your on island you don't have to worry about that much.

Picking a beach all depends on where you live, how much money you have for your trip and what activities you want to do. I said anyone can find there "perfect" beach if they try hard enough.

I'm still in debate if I will stay here for another month or go back to Southern CA, if I do stay I can update anyone on the summer crowd situation here.
Im a big fan of water not beaches, but beaches give you access to the water. Sitting on a beach baking in the sun is not my idea of a good time. That being said, I went to s padre island once and the water was really clear. I have been to the beaches in orange county and LA (got married at huntington beach). I would say that california water is not necessary clear. The one thing the california beaches do is they keep them extremely clean. Personally I like the natural beaches which means you may have a ton of seaweed, sticks etc.

When it comes to water though, the pacific coast is freezing cold, where the gulf is toasty warm and that makes all the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 12:55 PM

233 posts, read 1,045,951 times
It's about 6 hours or so and it feels like half of that is getting across the King Ranch will give you an idea of what big means in Texas.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:01 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Im a big fan of water not beaches, but beaches give you access to the water. Sitting on a beach baking in the sun is not my idea of a good time. That being said, I went to s padre island once and the water was really clear. I have been to the beaches in orange county and LA (got married at huntington beach). I would say that california water is not necessary clear. The one thing the california beaches do is they keep them extremely clean. Personally I like the natural beaches which means you may have a ton of seaweed, sticks etc.

When it comes to water though, the pacific coast is freezing cold, where the gulf is toasty warm and that makes all the difference.
Yes we try to keep them clean, but look at em after a holiday weekend, peoople still leave their trash unfortunately. No the one's by the larger cities isn't very clear. Our middle coastal ones are much better. Oh and yes our seaweed is something that will wrap around your ankles all the time. did I mention we have sea lions about?

Old 05-22-2008, 05:46 PM

55 posts, read 337,493 times
We have a lot of talk here. Can anyone share the pics of SPI? Thanks.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:47 PM

82 posts, read 390,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

If you beach isn't clean your water probably isn't clean so they go hand in hand. The trash you leave on the beach or pile hire into overflowing garbage cans blows right into the water.

If you are fan of Natural beaches I would say you would like South Padre Island.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I think there are some on the general Texas forum.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:57 AM

233 posts, read 1,045,951 times
Most beach water quality problems emanate from street runoff. Anything that runs down storm drains ends up in the ocean without much if any filtration. Compare the amount of development around LA, Orange County and San Diego with Padre and it's fairly predictable where you will find the most polluted seawater.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 67,847 times
I think South Padre is kind of overrated. Panama City has it beat and Ft. Lauderdale too especially for Spring break locals

Old 05-24-2008, 08:27 AM

147 posts, read 695,458 times
Hoooweeee! Well my beach is better than your beach! Neither one holds a candle to Phuket so what's your point? We're in Texas and someone was askin about a Texas beach.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:38 AM

147 posts, read 695,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
Wow, I never thought I'd say this, but here's a Californian who actually gets it. You probably understand South Padre better than all your wannabee transplants who live here, put together. Good job.

You really ought to try and get out more. For all of your bad mouthin Californians, you seem to forget people like Buck, Wynn and Merle.

Austin music has stronger ties to California than Nashville, you might want to give that a thought before you go shootin your mouth off. There's good people from all over and standing on the same piece of ground your whole life is really not any real source of Texas Pride.

Some of the best times I'll never remember was had out Bakersfield way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin