Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 06:46 AM
AGA AGA started this thread

729 posts, read 2,707,346 times

Advertisements

Just passing along info for S/W residents-hope this is the right place to do it!

AISD Boundary Change Community Meeting
Date(s): 5/22/2008
Start Time: 5/22/2008 6:00 PM

Below is an e-mail from Tammy Henderson, the Cowan PTA President and
Sendera Resident, stating why Sendera residents should be concerned and
attend the meeting on Thursday:

Sendera residents should be concerned because our children attend Cowan
Elementary, Covington Middle School and then Bowie High School. Cowan
is part of the Crocket Vertical team because Covington primarily feeds
into Crocket. Our Principal chose this vertical team to have more
communication with the Covington administration as it is the next step for
our students.

The only students that do not move from Covington to Crocket High
School are the Cowan students that live primarily in Sendera. This will be
an issue for the Boundary Task Force to consider, as one of the main
objectives will be for all schools to track together and not be split.
(Covington is split, and therefore, the risk of Sendera's High School
Boundary changing to Crocket High School Does Exist.) Especially ,with the
under enrollment of Crocket High School and the over enrollment of
Bowie High School.

If we remain blind to these facts, our students could be routed to
Crocket High School just as they were changed from Bailey to Covington 2
years after Sendera was built. History proves that we need to be involved
and understand the education direction of our children.

My experience with past Boundary Tasks Force gives me an insight on the
process and considerations of making the boundary changes.

I realize that the district information says that only the Small and
Bailey Middle School Boundaries will change, however, as I attended the
majority of task force and community meetings for the last boundary
change, I recall the Executive Director of AISD Facilities saying that the
middle AND high school boundary changes will be tackled with the
building of the new Southwest Middle School.

Bowie High School is overcrowded Crocket High School is under enrolled
by at least 20% Boundary lines are not always chosen based on proximity
of a subdivision, however, splitting a subdivision or school is a
major consideration for the tracking process.

The majority of Sendera residents purchased their homes based on
schools and ensuring that changes are not made will be important to them.

Tammy Henderson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 08:05 AM

675 posts, read 1,905,033 times
Thanks for the information.

Can someone tell also post what are the boundaries going to be for who attends the new Middle School for SW Austin?

Old 05-20-2008, 08:18 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
They have not decided, I think that is the same meeting. There is an article in the "Oak Hill Gazette" (or whatever that paper is called). I just noticed it the other day and glanced through it, but don't remember the details. I am about 99% sure our home will be routed to the new MS, just because we will be so close.....

Ahh....here it is:
Quote:
Ann Fowler 16.MAY.08

OAK HILL - A new Oak Hill middle school to be located on Slaughter Lane near FM 1826 is scheduled to open in August 2009. The Austin Independent School District has scheduled a meeting for Thursday, May 22, at Bailey Middle School to start community input on determining attendance boundaries for the new school.
Oak Hill Gazette: The community newspaper for Southwest Austin (http://oakhillgazette.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=73&twindow=&mad=&sdeta il=1445&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&res tate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=& rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1846&hn=oakhillg azette&he=.net - broken link)

Old 05-20-2008, 08:57 AM
AGA AGA started this thread

729 posts, read 2,707,346 times
This is an update to what I posted previous with regards to what this meeting is all about! I am certain a large turnout will be a most impressive statement to the FUBTF with regards to how we all want to be involved in the process.

Dear Community Members,

Our community has now been informed on WHY we should be concerned about boundary changes in the Southwest area. Please remember that we are in the preliminary stages of a year long process. Thursday night's meeting is ONLY going to provide our community with information on the PROCESS of making boundary changes.

No decisions have been made, suggested or considered at this stage. I encourage all of the Cowan and Sendera community to learn the process in preparation for future considerations that may or may not affect our children. There will be many opportunities in the next year to express our concerns by attending future community meetings or emailing the Boundary Task Force directly. Your involvement from the beginning will be beneficial. High attendance to learn the process this Thursday night is all that is needed to show our concern and awareness to the FUBTF (Facility Use & Boundary Task Force). Attendance at all future community meetings and staying updated by reviewing the online data will keep us informed on all considerations during this very long process.

Please forward this email to the same people that you forwarded the other emails to. Thank you.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:42 PM

675 posts, read 1,905,033 times
Did anyone out there attend this meeting? What's the latest? I am very curious about where the boundaries will be for this school. Did anyone have any theories at the meeting? thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: