Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,889 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated to the Austin area in August and I am needing some information. We are looking to buy in the Round Rock area (budget $170,000-$200,000) and I have a couple of questions first. I read another forum about snakes and scorpions and became worried with 3 little ones. Has anyone had any problems with snakes in the Round Rock area? We are planning on trying to find a home in a subdivision rather than in the country. Has anyone had problems with finding snakes in the backyard or house? My children are fascinated with anything that moves. We have been looking online at houses on Terra St and Indian Ridge. Is that a good neighborhood to get in to? I haven't found a lot within our budget except for in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 11:45 AM

314 posts, read 1,230,296 times
I think there is the possiblity of snakes and scorpions anywhere you move in Texas. I personally saw several baby scorpions where we live when we first moved, now we get our home exterminated and I have not seen any in over a year.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:28 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmiles34 View Post
I read another forum about snakes and scorpions and became worried with 3 little ones.
I don't know about snakes in RR. I live in NW Austin where I have had seen a few little pencil sized non-poisonous snakes.

I have read that the scorpions are generally more west and SW of the city. I found a map online one time that showed scorpion locations...FWIW. We lived west by the lake for two years in new construction and did find two scorpions in the house though they were also of the small and non-threatening persuasion....though I think they are creepier than snakes!

If you get a good pest control to bug proof your house and spray a couple of times a year, you should be fine.

Have not heard of rattlers or anything in established neighborhoods...probably have to go to farmland etc. to find them.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:00 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
I am in RR, in a subdivision and I haven't seen any scorpions. We have had 2 small, harmless snakes in our yard that we just moved.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:29 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Just went to a playgroup and Jungle Jim, who is a bug, snake and amphibian guy was there. He brought some snakes, all harmless ones and we learned good things about them. He brought a hog nosed snake, King snake and a rat snake. All 3 eat poison snakes like rattlers, corals, and copperheads so next time I do see one in my yard or on my property I will just shoo it instead of trying to hurt it. For the record, he said rat snakes can be aggressive as far as lack of fear of humans. They will chase at you, but of course, since they are non poisonous, it's no big deal, just get out of their way.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I've lived here almost 40 years, central, south central (between Ben White and downtown), Northeast, and now out near Jarrell. I've seen two - maybe three - scorpions in a residential area in that time. Of course, I've not lived in brand new construction where the houses have been built on their natural habitat and they haven't had much of a chance to move out yet. I understand it's more of a problem in that situation.

My experience with rat snakes is more extensive, in that we have chickens and they do love their eggs! So I've had up close and personal contact with quite a few of them over the past few years. They'll tend to run unless cornered (like most snakes, really), and even then they'll try to crawl up the smooth metal side of a chicken coop rather than come towards a human. They'll also, if cornered, "rattle" the end of their tail against leaves, the metal side of a chicken coop, whatever they can, to try to convince you they're a rattlesnake and you should run away. Doesn't work real well as a survival tactic, though, convincing a monkey with a gun that you're a rattle snake.

Mostly these critters are just as apprehensive about you as you are about them (just imagine if the Frost Bank Tower started walking around and you'll get a bit of an idea as to why) and will do their best to avoid you unless they have no other option.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,889 times
Thanks for the replies. We have found a few homes in our online search. We have found several our Terra St and Indian Ridge. The subdivisions are listed as Indian Ridge and Laurel Ridge. Does anyone have any advice on these locations? [LEFT][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/LEFT]

Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 20,017 times
Default Round Rock TX

I do know those subdivisions so here you go. I live about 5 minutes away from there. Those subdivisions are all one block of homes. Their are 2 elementary schools within that subdivision, Caldwell Heights and Union Hill (both good schools). Their is a middle school next to Union Hill Elementary called Hopewell Middle School. Some of the homes are newer and some are older. Their is a nice park by a Lake in the community. There is also very large park close by called Old Settlers park with a huge sports complex, a public pool with water slides and a water playground. The Dell Diamond, which is a popular sports park, is on the other side of Old Settlers Park. This area is surrounded by new construction and some currently empty farmland. Most of the empty farmland around the area is owned by one owner and they have plans for a new City Center also a possible rail station etc. If you want more info on that you can see this website. [url=http://www.roundrocktexas.gov/home/index.asp?page=10&recordid=1054]Welcome to the City of Round Rock - City News[/url] The High School is about 5-8 minutes to the South of this neighborhood. The Round Rock Premium Outlets, Ikea, JCPenney and numerous other new shopping stores are about 3 minutes away down University Boulevard at the I35 freeway. Also a movie theatre and a lot of restaurants. They just built a new Hospital just down the street on University. They are building a new Texas A&M nursing school their and a new Austin Community College as well. This is a very convenient and up and coming area. The people are friendly and I think that you would be happy their. The lots in the neighborhood are small mostly so I would try for a larger lot if you can but their are alot of outdoor activities and the weather is pretty great. Alot of people recommended the West side of the freeway when we moved here because it is Hill Country and the landscape has more trees and is Hilly but we like it where we are. It depends on what you are looking for. This area has affordable housing and alot of families. This is also close to the new toll road 130 which runs straight down to the Airport. A lot of the builders are offering huge incentives on new homes so you may want to check that also. Their is a neighborhood by Old Settlers park of DR Horton homes that may be in your price range. They are building a new elementary school right behind that neighborhood within the next 1-2 years. Check out the city website for Round Rock to take a look at the parks etc. Also, alot of people are pretty desperate to sell their homes so I would recommend looking higher than your price range and trying for a low ball offer on one that you really want. It's always worth a try. Good luck on your move.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 31,527 times
Oh gees I would worry more about stocking up on sunscreen, than snakes or scorpians. Just keep your grass mowed and have an exterminator come before you move in and once a year after that and youre fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin