Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 03:11 AM

32 posts, read 90,935 times

Advertisements

hi everyone,
i'm new to this forum and have found it extremely helpful as i am planning on moving to the austin area in the next couple of months. (i've been saying that since 1979, wish i had done it then!!! but now i really AM gonna do it.)

i'm coming from vermont and i am bringing my two horses (i know, everyone thinks i'm crazy, but i just can't sell them, i've had them for 18 years).

anyway, does anyone on this forum own horses around the austin area and if so what do you think are the best areas as far as good pasture, trail riding, easy access to hay, grain, etc.? bastrop/smithville areas seem nice (and there's the state park and lake bastrop), as do wimberley, driftwood, dripping springs. i haven't won the lottery so i'm definitely on a budget.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanx!
vtcowgirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 08:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Wow! You're coming from Vermont - are your two horses Morgans, by any chance? And if so, who are they? (Texas Morgan breeder here, thinking they might be family. )

Most of the area is horse-friendly - this IS Texas, after all! Bastrop/Smithville are good - soil is good for horses. Dripping Springs/Driftwood/Wimberley have some pockets where the soil is good for horses, but you do have to look for them as a fair amount over there is rocky (yeah, I know, so's Vermont, but even for my Morgans there are areas over there that I was told by agents long ago were "perfect for horses" that would have been more perfect for my vet's pocketbook - it's not granite, it's limestone, with the holes that hooves fit so perfectly in.) Plus, if you're on a budget, those areas can be pricey.

I'm up outside of Jarrell, likewise horse friendly. Georgetown is good - and Parry Haynes Ranch offers some nice trail riding. Elgin and environs is an area with LOTS of horsey folk, nice soil, nice grass, and affordable.

Really, pretty much any place in the Austin area can work for horses, if you watch for the right (or wrong) kind of soil.

Let me know when you're coming and I can get you info together on the trails in the area. Is trailriding your primary discipline, or do you have another that you'd like info on clubs/people with common interests on?

Old 05-24-2008, 08:33 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
When I was driving to Lexington, along the way I noticed quite a few stables and breeders and horses for sale ranches with some very nice looking horses. Lexington is very near McDade, Elgin, Bastrop area. It's very pretty out there as well.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:03 AM

It is gorgeous out there - we nearly moved just outside Lexington, in fact, before we found our little bit o' heaven outside Jarrell.

I think if we were to move, north of Elgin up towards Lexington/Rockdale or just south of Elgin would be right up there on our list - except that we're eyeballing Milam County for taxes and water and maybe, just MAYBE, being far enough out to escape growth for a while longer.

What kind of work do you do/where would you be working? That could have an impact on where we recommend, as well, given the price of fuel these days.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:12 PM

thanks for the info txhorselady and love roses.

yes i noticed when i was down there that the west side of I35 is not to my liking as far as soil, good pasture (SHADE!!!). very rocky. my arab has good hoofs, my tb does not. my property in vermont (oddly enough!) has no rocks. it was hayed for years. lovely grass. and in VT the grass grows very nicely around the rocks!!!!

i have one arabian (who everyone MISTAKES for a Morgan. short and real solid) and one thoroughbred. my daughter and i mostly trail ride, years ago (uh many years) i was hunter/jumper/dressage. my daughter loves rodeo and gymkhana.

i saw a lovely piece of property in elgin, and it's also real purty down around la grange. keep thinking i want to buck the trend of west of I35. i am a graphic designer/production designer/art director/jill of all graphics trades. will probably have to work in austin but maybe i'll change careers.

texashorselady, any connections with other horsepeople would be great. would love to stay in touch with you. it's always hard finding the right vet, right farrier, right hay supplier, etc. (without getting hammered financially).

it's gonna be a long ride for the "boys" but just can't leave 'em behind.

vtcowgirl

Old 05-24-2008, 05:06 PM

I hear you on all of those things! That's one reason I became an agent, because I saw a need for more agents who actually had a clue about horses and all the necessities of life when you have them.

There should be a demand for your career in the Austin area. How much of it do you think you could do from home? The Elgin area wouldn't be too far of a drive if you weren't going in 8 to 5 every day.

Whereabouts in Vermont are you coming from? I don't know it intimately, but have spent some time of there going to horse shows, visiting my foundation mare's breeder, and such. Beautiful part of the world, but very different from here.

And leaving the boys behind? Inconceivable!

Old 05-24-2008, 05:38 PM

TOTALLY inconceivable leavin' the boys. i'm comin' from southern vermont. 'tween manchester and rutland. morgan's have been raised for years on "east of equinox" farm in manchester.

i'm hoping to keep my vt job somehow, but ain't countin' on it. thinking i would like real estate (i have tons of "vision!") or maybe a horsesitting service for folks who think they know about horses (except like what do you do when you go away? personally, i never seem to "go away.")

yeah, vt is different. it's a love/hate relationship. like everything plus's and minus's.

i do have friends in austin, which is great. from way back in the '70's.

thanks lady, keep in touch. preciate it.

vtcowgirl

Old 10-01-2008, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,075 times
Ladies I love horses too..I'm from Ga but I live in Round Rock now, I just love to see the horses when I'm driving by any where, and there all over tx. DO you know of anyone who needs help around any stables ..I recently found out I have Cancer and I think riding horses would be
therapeutic but I dont have much money..I'm 28, my b-day was yesterday and I would be so happy if I could find a place where I could help out horses in return they would be helping me..

Thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 08:49 AM

There are 2 stables in Hutto (one is a riding school, the other a camp). There is also a place in Taylor I saw in our local paper. I'll look up the names for you.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:50 AM

County Line Equestrian Center is the riding school here in Hutto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin