Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:21 PM

227 posts, read 819,538 times

Advertisements

I have always heard good things about Austin. I currently live in the DC area and I am getting out of here as early as next January. I was planning to move to SD, but because of a long story, I am avoiding moving there until at least August '09. I want to be out of DC in January '09 though so there is an 8 month gap there. Oh, and BTW, I am 26 and no girlfriend or kids so I am pretty free to move where I want. So I was thinking about Austin. Today it hit me that Austin might be perfect for me. Here's why:

I am planning to get out of the corporate world in January '09 and get back to starting my own internet business (working on it now part time). I hear that Austin is very entrepreneurial and obviously a lot of internet presence there. It would be a great place to network and seems like a good place for an internet entrepreneur. Also, it is not that expensive (compared to DC or SD) and so I will not have to worry about going broke while I get my company going. Also, I am a tutor on the side and I figure with all the UT students, I should be able to make some money that way as well.

It just seems like a great fit and maybe I'd even stay there permanently and not go on to SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 10:20 PM

746 posts, read 3,720,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
I have always heard good things about Austin. I currently live in the DC area and I am getting out of here as early as next January. I was planning to move to SD, but because of a long story, I am avoiding moving there until at least August '09. I want to be out of DC in January '09 though so there is an 8 month gap there. Oh, and BTW, I am 26 and no girlfriend or kids so I am pretty free to move where I want. So I was thinking about Austin. Today it hit me that Austin might be perfect for me. Here's why:

I am planning to get out of the corporate world in January '09 and get back to starting my own internet business (working on it now part time). I hear that Austin is very entrepreneurial and obviously a lot of internet presence there. It would be a great place to network and seems like a good place for an internet entrepreneur. Also, it is not that expensive (compared to DC or SD) and so I will not have to worry about going broke while I get my company going. Also, I am a tutor on the side and I figure with all the UT students, I should be able to make some money that way as well.

It just seems like a great fit and maybe I'd even stay there permanently and not go on to SD.
Just make sure the internet business is making money before you move, or plan on working while setting it up. Austin is just one of many places that are good for start-ups, and many places are FAR better, including San Diego, Seattle, and the original silicon valley. Keep in mind that it is VERY hard to make money on the web, if thats what you are inferring. Per software applications and such, you might have an easier time. If you are just thinking of getting lots of "hits" on a website, or selling on EBAY, or something, you will have a pistol of a time unless you have a killer app type idea, of which there are many floating around. Also, keep in mind that the US economy has essentially outsourced everything possible, and that there isn't much left to do but dream of making money on the web, and there are millions of outplaced folks thinking of the same thing.

Best of luck. Bring at least 25K with you, or be willing to take a 11-13 an hour job for a good while till this "website" becomes something you can
devote a career to.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:59 PM

FYI, I have made decent money online in the past so I am not jumping into this blind.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:50 PM

746 posts, read 3,720,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
FYI, I have made decent money online in the past so I am not jumping into this blind.
But didn't you say that you preferred Austin so you wouldn't go broke?
If that "website" wes kicking in for you NOW, why would you have "going broke" concerns? You should be ready to locate in Key West or Aspen if that was the case. Frankly, DC has tons of VC money around. Government-related software apps, particularly military and homeland security related apps,
would seem to be great moneymakers. I would consider the beltway a great source of cash for start-ups, surely more than Austin.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:07 PM

I don't have internet income now. I dissolved my previous internet businesses. I think it is best to start up in a low cost area. And I hate DC. There may well be money doing government stuff here, that is if you want to deal with all that bureaucratic crap (which I do now in my BS consulting job).

Old 05-25-2008, 12:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,234,375 times
It sounds like it might be a good fit. I'm thinking you should use some of your networking skills to talk to other internet entrepreneurs in the area directly and see what they say about that part of it.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 10,565 times
Default Austin=Potheads+California scam artist

I just want to give eveyone A heads up on what it's like in Austin.Everyone there is practicaly a drug addict or pothead and everyone form Cal.. is moving there that's why there are so many idiot's out in traffic they all drive thinking it's like caly and that state of mind is carried over into the city.Not to mention all the stoners from other towns like Beaumont, Houston,San Antonio who complain about where they come from and how there is nothing there for them there.Then one day they wakeup and realized wow i'm doing the same things all over again it's just a different location .In summary just take the worst type of people form those areas and guess what they all now live in Austin.I consider Austin now to be a small town with all of the worst big city problems.Also the customer Service for any place in Austin sucks.After living there for almost 20 yrs You can have it because it will eventualy become the new Los Angels get it !!!!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 01:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,234,375 times
All righty, then. Drug addicts, stoners, and potheads, oh, my!

Everyone in Austin fits into these categories, you say? Who HAVE you been hanging out with? Also, you've lived here for 20 years and say this? What does that say about you?

Old 05-25-2008, 05:04 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,613,005 times
Before coming here from Denver, I was in Houston. So, I guess that makes me one too But, I didn't inhale

Old 05-25-2008, 08:04 PM

485 posts, read 1,954,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurthHurts View Post
I just want to give eveyone A heads up on what it's like in Austin.Everyone there is practicaly a drug addict or pothead and everyone form Cal.. is moving there that's why there are so many idiot's out in traffic they all drive thinking it's like caly and that state of mind is carried over into the city.Not to mention all the stoners from other towns like Beaumont, Houston,San Antonio who complain about where they come from and how there is nothing there for them there.Then one day they wakeup and realized wow i'm doing the same things all over again it's just a different location .In summary just take the worst type of people form those areas and guess what they all now live in Austin.I consider Austin now to be a small town with all of the worst big city problems.Also the customer Service for any place in Austin sucks.After living there for almost 20 yrs You can have it because it will eventualy become the new Los Angels get it !!!!!!
Sounds like someone has been smoking something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin