Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 10:46 AM

420 posts, read 1,364,777 times

Advertisements

Hey, a few friends and I will be moving to Austin from Boston, MA come Sept. I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the best means of hunting down a job within the Austin area. A bit of background on me, I'm 23, a year out of College with a BSBA in Marketing. I have a year of experience at a large financial group in Marketing Research, and a year experience as an E-marking manager at a small Inn.

I'd be looking for any type of Marketing Research, Project Management, or even analyst job. Which companies or sites should I look into? (My dream would be to work for Whole Foods corporate, but I'm not too sure how realistic of a goal that is.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 10:54 AM

314 posts, read 1,227,300 times
I would suggest starting your networking the moment you get here or over the internet if you can, and saving lots of money to get you over the 4-6 month hump. If there are any professional organizations that you belong to, see if they are also here in Austin and start working that angle.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:02 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,245,177 times
You also might see if there are any Meetup groups here that revolve around your professional interest as a quick-start way to network with people in your industry.

And, hey, apply to Whole Foods - you never know!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:13 AM

485 posts, read 1,955,227 times
As many have asked before....Austin is a networking town so the better and coveted jobs are going to go the well connected and probably won't even be advertised. At your age and with even with your degree, get ready to start at the bottom....like maybe a cashier or a stocker at Whole Foods (which many of them are in college or have degrees and they just like working at WF). Actually, some people have told me it's not so easy to get a cashiering job there either...but that's hearsay.

A marketing job (I have had those here) will be the first to go when there is an economic downturn, so right now, there will be fewer available...and when things are going down you'll be the first to go.

You may also get your foot in the door of a place doing sales.

Just have some savings and assume that you won't have a job for 4-6 months and you'll be fine. Don't expect miracles and if you're coming here to stay, get networked...meet people, etc. Remember that you're up against a good portion of this year's 15,000 University of Texas graduates who love it here so much that they stay. I've never been in a place where so many college grads just don't leave and are willing to take a job that they didn't need the degree for, just so they can stay in Austin.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:55 AM

420 posts, read 1,364,777 times
Thank you for all the input. I was assuming with the cost of living change I would be willing to take a pay cut. Although I'm sure I could be successful in sales, I have avoided a career in that field. I’m hoping mainly to gain some decent experience in a great new city before I head off to grad school (Maybe UT). I'll keep my eyes open for any types of networking possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin