Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:25 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I like Phoenix and think that there's a good amount of things to do. My wife doesn't like the dry desert climate there, otherwise I would have considered moving there. It's a great city if you're into sports, especially baseball. Phoenix and the surrounding areas host half of the Major League Baseball teams for Spring Training in March every year. I try to make it out there for a few days each year. There are ballparks all over the place there.

Tempe has a cool little downtown near ASU and that is actually an affordable College to attend. It's driving distance to Las Vegas for weekend getaways. I prefer Austin due to the weather and scenery, but I could see myself retiring near Phoenix just for the baseball activities alone. Plus there are lots of lakes within an hour driving distance so a lot of people there have boats. I think it all depends on what kind of activities you like to do.
Phoenix is actually an outdoorsy city, when it isn't hot in the summer, which is most of the year......shorts and casual wear are deriguer everywhere, even in nicer restaurants and many workplaces, just like Austin...very laid back like Austin too.....quite a few similarities, but Phoenix has mountains and pro sports and rec sports up the yinyang too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 PM

9 posts, read 20,603 times
I think I'm leaning more toward Phoenix since there's more to do. I'm really in the car scene and it seems like Phoenix wins hand down.

I have a 5 year old boy and I'm really hoping there will be parks and places to take him and my wife.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
How would you compare the overall cost of living for a single renter in his 20s in Phoenix and Austin? Those are the two cities I am considering right now (though leaning towards Austin).

Cheaper in Phoenix....way cheaper.....Austin isn't cheap anymore, as so many people are moving in and paying what they have to pay for rent...
my complex must have 25 people walking in every day looking for a place....or more....and that means they can charge what the market will bear///
If you are male, be aware that the female/male ratio is 45/55 in Austin....way more guys than chicks....Phoenix is about even steven...50/50....
in the metro area.....way better odds...in Scottdale alone, you can meet thousand of chicks at the clubs, and tons of hot cougers too....if you like them
college-y, you will be in nirvana in tempe.......so many college age beauties there, you get whiplash just walking around.......and so many great clubs in tempe too......

You can meet WAY more women in the Phoenix metro..trust me

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 06-06-2008 at 11:23 AM..

Old 06-05-2008, 10:31 PM

9 posts, read 20,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Cheaper in Phoenix....way cheaper.....Austin isn't cheap anymore, as so many people are moving in and paying what they have to pay for rent...
my complex must have 25 people walking in every day looking for a place....or more....and that means they can charge what the market will bear///
I agree with you.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Boy View Post
I think I'm leaning more toward Phoenix since there's more to do. I'm really in the car scene and it seems like Phoenix wins hand down.

I have a 5 year old boy and I'm really hoping there will be parks and places to take him and my wife.
There are tons of parks...and lots of indoor arcade places for the hot summers.....the other 9 months of the year are heaven..

Old 06-06-2008, 07:21 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
Quote:
Gigi, I respectfully disagree per Austin biking and jogging....worst bike major city in the usa, no bike lanes...you take your life in your hands just riding a vespa, let along a moterless bike......and no bike trail that goes through the heart of the city,,,no paved bike trail either ....just one on town lake, that you have to share with WAYYYYY too many people, just like the overcrowded city streets with the cars......Don't forget, not everyone is going to buy a house when they relocate.. I never have anywhere I've lived..in that case, Phoenix is a renters' paradise...you can rent a beautiful huge place with mountain views dirt cheap in Phoenix.....can't even do tht in Austin anymore...and golf? My god, just scottdale itself has better courses than anything in the Austin metro.....just really bad grass in Austin or something........No, Phoenix has some of the best courses in the USA.......

Texas is 49th in spending per pupil in education, and, since Austin is a part of the same, the schools, outside of UT, are not top notch as a group........and the suburban schools in the Phoenix metro are just fine...Tempe, mesa, scottsdale, what have you.......the po folks live in Phoenix proper,with accordingly bad School districts..

It's too freaking hot to get on a bicycle 5 to 6 months of the year in Phoenix, regardless of whether the road conditions and drivers are more accepting of bikers.

Yes, Phoenix has some of the best and most beautiful golf courses in the USA, that is a given. But they are not affordable for the average person. Want to golf at stunning Troon? Plan to plunk down $300 or more a round. Boulders? $175 or more in off season. According to my dad, who has golfed since age 8, is now 72, retired there to play golf 5 years ago and is a man of very humble means - there are not a lot of great public course options that are affordable. He's barely golfed since moving to Phoenix.

I'm just curious, do you have kids, scongress? Because I do, and I've had kids - with special needs - in districts both in tony Scottsdale and NW Austin. There is no comparison. Someone would have to pay me to move back to Scottsdale and put my kid in a school there. The property tax averages less than 1% in Phoenix metro and it shows in the schools.

I agree that not everyone buys when they relocate. I was just making sure the OP was aware that the market may continue to downturn if indeed he is buying there. Sheesh.

As far as hot chicks and cougars...well, let's just say that there is as much artificial enhancement going on as there is in LA. I routinely saw women in freaking Target of all places wearing their matching, blinged out Juicy Couture sweatsuits. Blech.

Austin is not for everyone, and neither is Phoenix. I absolutely loved Phoenix when I was single and dating my now-husband. Once I had a child, it was a horrible fit for us. I'm just not going to live in a place where it's too hot to go to a park at 8 a.m. and where I stopped playing the one sport I'm passionate about (tennis) because it was miserable to play.

The OP should read the Phoenix forum here and see what the general vibe is like. And visit, visit, visit. I can't stress that enough.

It sounds like you might be really happy in Phoenix, though, scongress!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:02 AM

227 posts, read 821,738 times
Quote:
If you are male, be aware that the female/male ratio is 45/55 in Austin....way more guys than chicks....Phoenix is about even steven...50/50....
in the metro area.....way better odds...in Scottdale alone, you can meet thousand of chicks at the clubs, and tons of hot cougers too....if you like them
college-y, you will be in nirvana in tempe.......so many college age beauties there, you get whiplash just walking around.......and so many great clubs in tempe too......[IMG]

You can meet WAY more women in the Phoenix metro..trust me
Are you planning to move back to Phoenix? Why'd you leave? Just questions, not doubting you. I'm a bit more mature than the college scene, but that is available whether it is ASU or UT. Did the summer heat bother you in Phoenix? I will say the main thing that made me lean towards Austin over Phoenix is how spread out Phoenix is. It seems nothing is walkable there. Phoenix has a much greater population though which is a plus as I am coming from the DC area. I am undecided.

edit: oh, now that i read your posts i feel like you are trying to keep austin's population down lol

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 06-06-2008 at 11:23 AM..

Old 06-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
It's too freaking hot to get on a bicycle 5 to 6 months of the year in Phoenix, regardless of whether the road conditions and drivers are more accepting of bikers.

Yes, Phoenix has some of the best and most beautiful golf courses in the USA, that is a given. But they are not affordable for the average person. Want to golf at stunning Troon? Plan to plunk down $300 or more a round. Boulders? $175 or more in off season. According to my dad, who has golfed since age 8, is now 72, retired there to play golf 5 years ago and is a man of very humble means - there are not a lot of great public course options that are affordable. He's barely golfed since moving to Phoenix.

I'm just curious, do you have kids, scongress? Because I do, and I've had kids - with special needs - in districts both in tony Scottsdale and NW Austin. There is no comparison. Someone would have to pay me to move back to Scottsdale and put my kid in a school there. The property tax averages less than 1% in Phoenix metro and it shows in the schools.

I agree that not everyone buys when they relocate. I was just making sure the OP was aware that the market may continue to downturn if indeed he is buying there. Sheesh.

As far as hot chicks and cougars...well, let's just say that there is as much artificial enhancement going on as there is in LA. I routinely saw women in freaking Target of all places wearing their matching, blinged out Juicy Couture sweatsuits. Blech.

Austin is not for everyone, and neither is Phoenix. I absolutely loved Phoenix when I was single and dating my now-husband. Once I had a child, it was a horrible fit for us. I'm just not going to live in a place where it's too hot to go to a park at 8 a.m. and where I stopped playing the one sport I'm passionate about (tennis) because it was miserable to play.

The OP should read the Phoenix forum here and see what the general vibe is like. And visit, visit, visit. I can't stress that enough.

It sounds like you might be really happy in Phoenix, though, scongress!
I've lived there a while back.....did vegas as well......the sun was a bit rough, but I really liked the scenery and great drives....I thought people were very friendly in both places, especially the Phoenix metro.....sorta reminds me of Chicago, how people will chat with you just about everywhere, from a diamondbacks game to the local store. Similar to austin in casual wear, and laid-backness....I like Austin AND phoenix....Phoenix just has better scenery with the mountains and the great day trips....just the ride to Tucson is so beautiful.......Flagstaff another....Texas is pretty blah for car trips....the dallas one is a nothing trip....Houston even more boring.....San Antone is a fun little jaunt though, down I-10.......The only drive in Texas worth taking is west to the Hill Country and farther west to Big Bend and the mountains....and thats it....whereas in Phoenix, you can go in any direction from the city, and see mind-blowing things, from Indian reservations, to painted mountains, petrogyphs of ancient peoples, national parks, even Vegas or Lake havasu city, for that matter.......sorry, but Arizona is a pretty damn nice place....
just my opinion

BTW, send dad this link of reams of Phoenix GC's with green fees under 30 bucks for 18, most with seniors discounts.......

Phoenix Golf Courses

Old 06-06-2008, 11:20 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:

edit: oh, now that i read your posts i feel like you are trying to keep austin's population down lol
I think you hit the nail right on the head I notice Scongress123 on the Seattle Board last night encouraging someone to move to Seattle and then really painted an ugly picture of Austin. I thought it was hilarious

Old 06-06-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Are you planning to move back to Phoenix? Why'd you leave? Just questions, not doubting you. I'm a bit more mature than the college scene, but that is available whether it is ASU or UT. Did the summer heat bother you in Phoenix? I will say the main thing that made me lean towards Austin over Phoenix is how spread out Phoenix is. It seems nothing is walkable there. Phoenix has a much greater population though which is a plus as I am coming from the DC area. I am undecided.

Austin is great too.....just somewhat different....honestly, Austin has a one-trick pony entertainment district.....I am on the same streets every week-end....always 6th and south congress/lamar.......because they are the only places to hang in the entire city, outside of guadalupe, where the average age is 18-19......Phoenix's drawbacks? Hot as hell much of the year.....crowded...somewhat transient population.....pretty much the same as Austin's drawbacks....same crazy traffic...but in Phoenix you get to look at Mountains when you are stuck in traffic, as opposed to billboards for BBQ places.....

My ultimate opinion....better to find a smaller or out of the way place...
why do we always hone in just on huge metros, as if we couldn't survive anywhere else? And life is so short to explore.....thats my next step..
no more huge metros.........and with the price of gas, just in tme!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin