Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 10:52 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to give this great place the accolades it deserves. Our amazing dog came from here and they've been nothing short of wonderful and caring.

Another thread closed before I could explain my sarcasm and sadness about not treating pets like family. TLAC is the kind of place everyone should go look at before they rush out to 'buy' a purebred dog or cat. This place, even though it isn't a 'no kill' shelter, does everything it can to place animals with good homes.

A pet is definitely a life long commitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 11:18 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,789 times
We have never adopted from there, but have looked several times (and the kids like to go just to socialize with the animals). The staff there has always been very helpful and nice!

Old 06-06-2008, 02:25 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,787 times
We already have a dog and cat(right now it's all we can responsibly manage), but I might go down there just to check it out. Then again, it always makes me sad, seeing all of those animals - many lost and/or abused - that might never find the homes they deserve.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:20 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
The new Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter, while going through some growing pains and staffing issues, is another place that is trying to do the best it can. Both shelters greatly need volunteers. Both also have more than their fair share of purebred and "sought after" breeds. I just picked up a boxer from the Williamson County shelter last week, to bring into foster. He is the most amazing dog, I can't fathom how he was just dumped on someones property. Trained, in good health, no behavioral issues, microchipped... it's sad.

My other Boxer was turned into Town Lake as a stray - and she also was microchipped. She's the best dog ever, personality & behavioral wise. The owners told Town Lake they didn't want her anymore. Who does that?

If anyone is interested in adopting a boxer, or becoming a foster family - you may want to check out Austin Boxer Rescue... they have had a huge influx of dogs lately, it's shocking.

Austin Boxer Rescue - Home

Old 06-06-2008, 02:30 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
The new Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter, while going through some growing pains and staffing issues, is another place that is trying to do the best it can. Both shelters greatly need volunteers. Both also have more than their fair share of purebred and "sought after" breeds. I just picked up a boxer from the Williamson County shelter last week, to bring into foster. He is the most amazing dog, I can't fathom how he was just dumped on someones property. Trained, in good health, no behavioral issues, microchipped... it's sad.

My other Boxer was turned into Town Lake as a stray - and she also was microchipped. She's the best dog ever, personality & behavioral wise. The owners told Town Lake they didn't want her anymore. Who does that?

If anyone is interested in adopting a boxer, or becoming a foster family - you may want to check out Austin Boxer Rescue... they have had a huge influx of dogs lately, it's shocking.

Austin Boxer Rescue - Home
I think the economy, if it continues to worsen, will have a huge impact on the pet population. When people start cutting expenses, or working more, pets will suffer
Makes me sad and angry.

Last edited by mimimomx3; 06-06-2008 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-06-2008, 03:08 PM

532 posts, read 1,392,067 times
Default Twon Lake Animal Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I just wanted to give this great place the accolades it deserves. Our amazing dog came from here and they've been nothing short of wonderful and caring.

Another thread closed before I could explain my sarcasm and sadness about not treating pets like family. TLAC is the kind of place everyone should go look at before they rush out to 'buy' a purebred dog or cat. This place, even though it isn't a 'no kill' shelter, does everything it can to place animals with good homes.

A pet is definitely a life long commitment.
I agree! We just adopted a great 11-month old Catahoula Leopard Dog (with probably a little pit bull mixed in) from Town Lake 3 days ago, and they really are tremendous there. They were caring and professional every step of the way. You could tell that they really wanted to make sure the animals were as happy as they could be and got a loving and appropriate home. I'm so glad that we got our dog from there, and I definitely recommend them to anyone who's looking to adopt a pet.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 AM

16 posts, read 55,790 times
Default Cat adoptions

If you're looking for a cat, this would be a good time. Starting June 1, adoption fees for kittens and cats under 5 years will be $35 (usually $75)
Cats over 5 years will have the adoption fee waived.
Over 200 cats and kittens have been received during the past two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin