Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:46 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times

Advertisements

The connection is that Margaritaville may have been written in Austin, said margarita having been consumed here:

from Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett Songfacts

Quote:
Buffett: "This song was written about a drink in Austin, Texas and the first huge surge of tourists who descended on Key West, Florida, almost three decades ago. What can I say? People ask if I ever get tired of playing it. The answer is no. It has paid the rent for a long time, and seems to put a few minutes of joy into this troubled world when sung by fans at a show. I feel very lucky".
That much is pretty solid fact, however, some of the additional story I've heard secondhand may or may not be true. However, I'll pass it along for your entertainment:

While I was living in NW Hills, a property down the street went up for sale (this was around 1998 or so). The ad in the paper claimed it was the house where Jimmy Buffet wrote Margaritaville. It was just down the street, so I walked by there occasionally.. it was a duplex, actually, but one of those fairly large nice ones along a creek with a secluded wooded view. Anyway, I caught the agent there and asked him about it. He said the owner claimed that during a Texas tour in the 70's, when Buffet was in Austin he had stayed with the owner at that duplex. They went out with a group to a Mexican food place on Anderson lane (don't know the name, supposedly closed down long ago). After having margaritas, they went back home and partied well into the night on one of the nice decks on this duplex. It was that evening, according to the story, that Jimmy wrote margaritaville in about 15 minutes on an acoustic guitar.

Anyway, that's the Austin-Margaritaville connection, as I know it.

Last edited by atxcio; 06-12-2008 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 01:55 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The connection is that Margaritaville may have been written in Austin, said margarita having been consumed here:

from Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett Songfacts

That much is pretty solid fact, however, some of the additional story I've heard secondhand may or may not be true. However, I'll pass it along for your entertainment:

While I was living in NW Hills, a property down the street went up for sale (this was around 1998 or so). The ad in the paper claimed it was the house where Jimmy Buffet wrote Margaritaville. It was just down the street, so I walked by there occasionally.. it was a duplex, actually, but one of those fairly large nice ones along a creek with a secluded wooded view. Anyway, I cought the agent there and asked him about it. He said the owner claimed that during a Texas tour in the 70's, when Buffet was in Austin he had stayed with the owner at that duplex. They went out with a group to a Mexican food place on Anderson lane (don't know the name, supposedly closed down long ago). After having margaritas, they went back home and partied well into the night on one of the nice decks on this duplex. It was that evening, according to the story, that Jimmy wrote margaritaville in about 15 minutes on an acoustic guitar.

Anyway, that's the Austin-Margaritaville connection, as I know it.

If it was a song about drink, theres a fair chance that Austin inspired it.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:07 PM

187 posts, read 846,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camermom View Post
Austin just has so much more to offer--culturally, esthetically, restaurant-wise, music-wise, festival-wise...you name it.
We're all just expressing opinions, here, these are not hard facts...but I would say that Austin is not always aesthetically superior to Urbana-Champaign. Decatur, yes, it is better looking than Decatur. But, let's put it this way: the neighborhoods that I could afford to live in, buy a home in, in Austin are butt-ugly-billboard-infested-right-by-the-elevated-interstate-or-behind-a-muffler-shop-type areas. For that same price in Urbana I had brick-lined streets with huge trees and a historic bungalow, and I could walk two blocks to the local version of the Wheatsville Co-op, a place called Strawberry Fields. I could walk to campus, where at the performing arts center I saw ballet, Emmylou Harris, and Ravi Shankar--not all at the same time, mind you.

People here in Austin might find it to be a "backwater" place, in their minds, very "midwestern," but as a Big Ten school, it attracted a lot of attention for its athletic programs (bleh) and its academic programs (woo!). The library at the U of I is far superior to UT's--it's the largest public university library in the US.

It's not the center of the universe, and it's not Austin--but there is a lot to recommend. And Urbana is very tech-oriented, too, it's a great school for computer sciences. After all, HAL from the book/film 2001 was born in Urbana, Illinois. Just ask him!

I love living in Austin/Taylor, but I've lived most of my life in Illinois, and it's a great place, too.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenfraun View Post
We're all just expressing opinions, here, these are not hard facts...but I would say that Austin is not always aesthetically superior to Urbana-Champaign. Decatur, yes, it is better looking than Decatur. But, let's put it this way: the neighborhoods that I could afford to live in, buy a home in, in Austin are butt-ugly-billboard-infested-right-by-the-elevated-interstate-or-behind-a-muffler-shop-type areas. For that same price in Urbana I had brick-lined streets with huge trees and a historic bungalow, and I could walk two blocks to the local version of the Wheatsville Co-op, a place called Strawberry Fields. I could walk to campus, where at the performing arts center I saw ballet, Emmylou Harris, and Ravi Shankar--not all at the same time, mind you.

People here in Austin might find it to be a "backwater" place, in their minds, very "midwestern," but as a Big Ten school, it attracted a lot of attention for its athletic programs (bleh) and its academic programs (woo!). The library at the U of I is far superior to UT's--it's the largest public university library in the US.

It's not the center of the universe, and it's not Austin--but there is a lot to recommend. And Urbana is very tech-oriented, too, it's a great school for computer sciences. After all, HAL from the book/film 2001 was born in Urbana, Illinois. Just ask him!

I love living in Austin/Taylor, but I've lived most of my life in Illinois, and it's a great place, too.

My God...thank you!
This is what I've been trying to say on CD for months........that the developers have created the most ButtUgly developments in the USA
in the north and nw areas, and most of the burbs......honestly, there are only two areas in Austin that are mostly retail and buttugly free, the
west hilly subdivisions, and some of the south austin city area, but even much of that, being the old Bubbaville part of town, is plugged ugly too...

Saw the same thing in the UT general area....no classic fraternity row district like Urbana, no classic old buildings, just a bunch of parking garages and little dives on Guadalupe.....They could have done so much more with UT.....just a massive slab of buildings and parking garages...

Old 06-12-2008, 03:36 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Quote:
that the developers have created the most ButtUgly developments in the USA
in the north and nw areas, and most of the burbs......
That's not what she said. She said...

Quote:
the neighborhoods that I could afford to live in, buy a home in, in Austin are butt-ugly-billboard-infested-right-by-the-elevated-interstate-or-behind-a-muffler-shop-type areas.
Like French Place, for example. 38 1/2 st exit. To the east of 35, in the city limits, with many original mid-century homes. A neighborhood that's been there for years upon years - has little to do with "evil developers" and cookie -cutter suburbia - though is also prime for the picking for mcmansion tear downs and re-dos.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
That's not what she said. She said...

Like French Place, for example. 38 1/2 st exit. To the east of 35, in the city limits, with many original mid-century homes. A neighborhood that's been there for years upon years - has little to do with "evil developers" and cookie -cutter suburbia - though is also prime for the picking for mcmansion tear downs and re-dos.

My problem isn't with evil developers..its with the sheeple that let the city do what they will to destroy everything......evil developers need quiet citizens, and a compliant government to create a buttugly environment for masses of relocatees, who come here after reading top 10 lists....

Old 06-12-2008, 05:35 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
My problem isn't with evil developers..its with the sheeple that let the city do what they will to destroy everything......evil developers need quiet citizens, and a compliant government to create a buttugly environment for masses of relocatees, who come here after reading top 10 lists....
There is only so much a vocal citizenry can do regarding private property development. Rather than concluding people are sheeple, maybe what's going on here is respect for private property.

Change in zoning laws can only do so much and it is unfair to expect property owners to do only with their property what you or I deem its best use.

I have seen so many absurd public temper tantrums up here (Seattle) when property owners have raised their rents, resulting in neighborhood Mom and Pops being displaced and the spaces being taken over by chain type businesses. All the public hand wringing and whining didn't change a thing because the land owner has a constitutional right to rent to whoever he wants (Freedom of Association). You cannot pass zoning laws that favor one proprietor over another, for instance, we will give you a building permit only if you rent to Chuy's rather than a Chiles.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
There is only so much a vocal citizenry can do regarding private property development. Rather than concluding people are sheeple, maybe what's going on here is respect for private property.

Change in zoning laws can only do so much and it is unfair to expect property owners to do only with their property what you or I deem its best use.

I have seen so many absurd public temper tantrums up here (Seattle) when property owners have raised their rents, resulting in neighborhood Mom and Pops being displaced and the spaces being taken over by chain type businesses. All the public hand wringing and whining didn't change a thing because the land owner has a constitutional right to rent to whoever he wants (Freedom of Association). You cannot pass zoning laws that favor one proprietor over another, for instance, we will give you a building permit only if you rent to Chuy's rather than a Chiles.

Which is why the unique ambience of Austin will be gone in 3-5 years.....
now, you cannot put a price on eclecticism or creativity...you can't purchase it either.....Austin relies on that eclecticism as a driver for relocatees, so when it leaves, and/or the music is gone, so will the relocatees stop coming, or, if they keepo coming, they will not be living in the same Austin.......
fact is Money talks, and Money rules, and brings everything down to its own valuation...what should not be valued, always can when money is concerned..and that will simply be what brings down Austin.......it will survive, but in a bland form, like wonder bread compared to a fine french loaf....

Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 PM

41 posts, read 120,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova9 View Post
I'm a 29 year-old guy, and have spent this past week in Austin with friends who live here. I've got a few more days and then I go check out Seattle/Portland. I'm from Champaign, IL. Austin is essentially a much larger, warmer Champaign, or like the north side of Chicago without Wrigley Field. The people are generally quite friendly, and if you're into live music, this place will not disappoint. It's about as pricey as Chicago in most respects (esp. food and drinks), which is unfortunate, with the exception of the housing, which is cheaper.

The food selection is skewed decidedly in the tex-mex variety, which gets a bit tiresome. Taco stands are a-plenty. If you like Chicago style pizza, you'll have to have it shipped in from Lou Malnati's, 'cause there isn't any to be found here. Home Slice is good New York style 'za, however. I've liked the food variety and taste in Champaign better than Austin, to be honest, which I definitely did not expect to be the case. The beer is pretty great here, and there's Shiner Bock to be had at almost every bar in town, which is fantastic. Fireman's #4 is good, also. The bars are similar to some Chicago places, i.e. Hole In The Wall reminds me of The Empty Bottle. The Spider House is a must visit... great outdoor seating, good food, coffee, and beer.

I've seen a show (Delta Spirit and Matt Costa) at The Parish, which was great. Waterloo Records is a fantastic record store. Anton's is a good back-up, with a solid selection of vinyl.

Hill country is nice... definitely a break from the IL cornfields. The riverfront is ok... it just feels a little neglected. Lake Travis, however, was incredible, and a trip to Austin is just not complete without a visit to the Oasis restaurant to watch the sunset. Bring your camera!

I'm single, too, and I think that it won't be too hard to meet people. It seems that like-minded individuals of the female persuasion here are numerous enough to have a shot of making a love connection. Probably not as easily as Chicago, but more so than Champaign by the sheer virtue of there being more people here. I made friends at the Bouldin St. Coffeehouse on Tuesday, went to karaoke with them at Ego's with them the next night, and are seeing a show with them at Emo's tonight. That's pretty good for being here all of 5 days.

The general mindset of people here seems to be different than IL. It's hard to describe, but it seems generally more laid-back, which is a good thing. It's a pretty liberal town, with lots of anti-Bush / pro-dem & Obama stuff. The drivers here leave a bit to be desired, but the traffic isn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be... just avoid 35 as much as you can... it's not too bad.

The heat hasn't really bothered me too much; it's just an adjustment as far as clothing. Lots more t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops days... and get to know someone with a pool. lol

Overall, there's a lot of good about Austin, and if my interview goes well, I'll be living here in two months and looking forward to ACL.
Looking for a good pool to keep cool in? Try Barton Springs, off of Barton Springs Drive, on the southside of Zilker Park. Trust me, it'll feel like you're back in Lake Michigan, only, with much hotter women surrounding you. The two things my wife missed when leaving Chicago for Austin was Lou Malnati's, and Italian Beefs. Other than that, she loves the tremendous selection of foods/restaurants to choose from. You'll never see a selection of fresh produce, meats, and fish, as you will if you go to Whole Foods on 5th Street and Lamar, or either of the two Central Markets, off of Lamar....... Even H-E-B (most of them) usually have an extravagant meat/fish selection.

Enjoy your time there bro. The one thing you'll definitely find is how proud Austinites are of our city. A lot of people take that to heart, and get annoyed by it, but hey, if a city's good, it's good, you know?

Old 01-06-2009, 06:55 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova9 View Post
I'm a 29 year-old guy, and have spent this past week in Austin with friends who live here. I've got a few more days and then I go check out Seattle/Portland. I'm from Champaign, IL. Austin is essentially a much larger, warmer Champaign, or like the north side of Chicago without Wrigley Field. The people are generally quite friendly, and if you're into live music, this place will not disappoint. It's about as pricey as Chicago in most respects (esp. food and drinks), which is unfortunate, with the exception of the housing, which is cheaper.

The food selection is skewed decidedly in the tex-mex variety, which gets a bit tiresome. Taco stands are a-plenty. If you like Chicago style pizza, you'll have to have it shipped in from Lou Malnati's, 'cause there isn't any to be found here. Home Slice is good New York style 'za, however. I've liked the food variety and taste in Champaign better than Austin, to be honest, which I definitely did not expect to be the case. The beer is pretty great here, and there's Shiner Bock to be had at almost every bar in town, which is fantastic. Fireman's #4 is good, also. The bars are similar to some Chicago places, i.e. Hole In The Wall reminds me of The Empty Bottle. The Spider House is a must visit... great outdoor seating, good food, coffee, and beer.

I've seen a show (Delta Spirit and Matt Costa) at The Parish, which was great. Waterloo Records is a fantastic record store. Anton's is a good back-up, with a solid selection of vinyl.

Hill country is nice... definitely a break from the IL cornfields. The riverfront is ok... it just feels a little neglected. Lake Travis, however, was incredible, and a trip to Austin is just not complete without a visit to the Oasis restaurant to watch the sunset. Bring your camera!

I'm single, too, and I think that it won't be too hard to meet people. It seems that like-minded individuals of the female persuasion here are numerous enough to have a shot of making a love connection. Probably not as easily as Chicago, but more so than Champaign by the sheer virtue of there being more people here. I made friends at the Bouldin St. Coffeehouse on Tuesday, went to karaoke with them at Ego's with them the next night, and are seeing a show with them at Emo's tonight. That's pretty good for being here all of 5 days.

The general mindset of people here seems to be different than IL. It's hard to describe, but it seems generally more laid-back, which is a good thing. It's a pretty liberal town, with lots of anti-Bush / pro-dem & Obama stuff. The drivers here leave a bit to be desired, but the traffic isn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be... just avoid 35 as much as you can... it's not too bad.

The heat hasn't really bothered me too much; it's just an adjustment as far as clothing. Lots more t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops days... and get to know someone with a pool. lol

Overall, there's a lot of good about Austin, and if my interview goes well, I'll be living here in two months and looking forward to ACL.

Everything you said is right on!
Now take it as being young and single, Austin is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin