Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,433 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am completely terrified of all sorts of critters and am very trepidacious about the move to Austin. If you can answer the following questions, I would appreciate it very much!

--any neighborhoods in the city limits likely to have more or less critters because of the location, proximity to water, etc?
--exterminator recommendations?
--how often should we exterminate?
--any reports of negative health effects from regular exterminator spraying?
--I have a toddler and am terrified about letting him play outside - besides avoiding jumping in leaves, avoiding sunning on rocks and keeping the grass short, how is it folks in austin let their children outside to play without having a heart attack every time? I know some of you are laughing your butts of as you read this but I am a Yankee and never had to worry about this stuff and am a worrier by nature-please educate me so I can protect my kid and be a little more rational about this stuff.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,510 times
I find all these bug questions just great! First, please tell me where you are from and where you get the idea that Austin is crawling with bugs (sorry, couldn't resist that). I moved here from Florida and I can tell you that everything is probably bigger in Texas, but certainly not the bugs. In fact, compared to Florida, I have pretty much not seen anything buggy here at all. But, I will add that even though I grew up in Florida (Land of Bugs), my mom not only let me play outside, she actually encouraged it. I've also played in mounds of leaves and survived.

I really don't mean to make light of the situation and I'm sorry if it seems like I'm doing just that. I just don't understand this bug phobia. My honest answer is that I've seen so few bugs since we moved here two years ago that I'm just amazed. Again, where are you moving from that you are so bug phobic??

P.S. I never use an exterminator and I never would. I just don't believe in having all those chemicals around me.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:22 AM

30 posts, read 137,423 times
Hey there,

Yeah, I agree with Austin Traveler. I lived in Austin for two years and didn't see many bugs. I am also from the North and am not used to bugs either. So, when we moved to East TN, which is extremely humid, I was in for a surprise! They have roaches here, big ones too (although) I am sure they aren't as big as Florida). As long as you spray though, they don't come in. Anyway, Austin is a great area and I can't wait to move back. I wouldn't worry too much about the bugs unless you are moving to somewhere more humid such as Houston. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2007, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,076 times
Yeah, there are critters. I went to UT Austin from '83-'87. We lived in a small apartment & I worked part-time at the university. One morning I put on my shoes in the dark and one foot felt a little lumpy. I thought it was a bunched up sock and forgot about it. A couple hours later I was at work and that lump started to bother me. I took off my shoe and out dropped a big old "Palmetto bug" (a giant roach to you). It was dead- probably from the smell. Actually, it was just smashed enough to suffocate but not ooze. So that was a fun one...

Another time about 3 years ago I was in town looking at houses for possible relocation. I was staying at a Sheraton of some sort- off 163 maybe? Anyhoo, it was a fairly nice place. So I go in the room and flop down on the bed. After a bit I noticed some motion on the table between the two beds. Another big old Palmetto bug. I smooshed it with a phone book and called the front desk asking for an exterminator to spray the room. They didn't care. Why should they? It probably happens all the time.

So they're out there. You just have to get used to it.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:37 PM

93 posts, read 307,392 times
OMG. I have nightmares now of pulling down the covers to get into bed and out pops a roach and a Palmetto bug. YUCK!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:21 AM

30 posts, read 137,423 times
Catherinelady,

I would not worry too much about bugs. I lived in Austin for two years and never saw any roaches. I did see beetles though. I am sure they are around, but Austin is really not all that humid and they tend to breed in humidity.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:16 AM

122 posts, read 180,206 times
I have lived in Austin my whole life and bugs/critters are a way of life. We do have our far share of critters but I am willing to bet that you and your family will not be effective by any critter related problems. Spray once a year educated your child on snakes and other stinging insects and it shouldn’t be a problem.

I am 32 was raise in what was the back woods of Westlake in the day and this is a list of my critters that I have encountered.

Scorpion: Bite when was 8
Rattle snake: one encounter that was in the garage
Assorted possums and raccoons encounters: no big deal most of the time it was fun chasing them off.

Fire ants: When I was growing up they were bad but today you really need to look to find them

Yellow jackets! That’s about the worse we have to offer in Texas. I think I have more encounter with yellow jackets because with my job I am looking at vacant homes all day and yellow jackets love porches.

Spiders: never had a problem with them

Its just part of growing up and I think its better to be experience than to go threw your life scared when it really isn’t a problem. I hunt so I do have my share of encounters but I will not list them because I was in their environment and I understand that its just part of nature.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,433 times
Thanks for the responses - I am from CT and have lived in VA and DC and have the most irrational fear of bugs and snakes. I can't even see a snake on tv without dreaming about them. Guess I'll have to get over it soon! Glad to hear though that it's not as bad as I had heard.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:06 AM

395 posts, read 1,540,593 times
It is a good thing you are not moving to Florida.My nine year old daughter is severely autistic and just loves bugs. In fact Santa brought her a book with lots of pictures of bugs in it. Her favorite battle cry is "Kill them bugs!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin