Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:55 PM

102 posts, read 301,910 times

Advertisements

I am very interested in these two neighborhoods. Even though they are on opposite sides of Austin, they have similar qualities that are important to me. They both are within a reasonable distance to downtown and they both feed into good school districts. The homes in Circle C are all relatively new and come with nice upgrades. However, some renovated homes in Spicewood Springs can offer some nice views.

With that said, if you had a budget of 350k - 400k and were looking for about 2200 - 2800 sq ft, which of these would you choose (Lantana off of SW PKWY seems nice too, but I don't know much about it)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 05:20 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
"School Districts"?.....or Schools? (or school paths)

Not the same thing.

Where will you be working?

Both areas are nice.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:23 AM

8 posts, read 19,077 times
Default Circle C has it all

I bought in Circle C last October and glad I did. Property values here are good. I paid 320 for 3000+ sqft with a pool and spa, 4BR 3 BA + large office and huge K. Great neighborhood, very convenient for everything. Austin downtown is 10-20 mins depending on where you need to go. I find most of what I want is pretty close by, unless I'm headed to the Spicewood area (very seldom) which is 30 minutes. But most everything worth doing (for us) is available in Southwest Austin or the restaurant area of downtown (4th through 6th streets and South Congress).

The community is very safe, has great features (pool, golf, tennis, parks, etc etc) many restaurants in a center that is in walking or biking distance to many of the homes here, and a bunch more going in at the corner of MoPac and Slaughter (entrance of Circle C) where a new Alamo Drafthouse is under construction along with a bunch of restaurants and shops.

Short of it is, Circle C seems to have been an extremely well-planned community, the best I have seen. Open space, walking and jogging trails, and a separate bike trail so walkers and wheels don't have to share the same space. I'm happy here.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la60336 View Post
I am very interested in these two neighborhoods. Even though they are on opposite sides of Austin, they have similar qualities that are important to me. They both are within a reasonable distance to downtown and they both feed into good school districts. The homes in Circle C are all relatively new and come with nice upgrades. However, some renovated homes in Spicewood Springs can offer some nice views.

With that said, if you had a budget of 350k - 400k and were looking for about 2200 - 2800 sq ft, which of these would you choose (Lantana off of SW PKWY seems nice too, but I don't know much about it)?
From a practical standpoint, CC probably wins on a number of points. That said, the near NW areas of Austin are very nice, hilly, and appeal to the sensibilities of people who are somewhat turned off by Master Planned Community style neighborhoods like Circle C.

Steve

Old 06-27-2010, 11:50 AM

Congrats on your purchase. It sounds like you made a great decision.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 AM

The Spicewood/Balcones area of NW Austin seems to be a pretty large area. I have been curious why people don't mention it as much on this forum as they do the Circle C area. I just wonder if there are any specific negatives of Spicewood/Balcones that I am not aware of. I work in the downtown area, so the distance between the two is similar.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:53 PM

27 posts, read 67,093 times
I personally like the Southwest side of town, and the Circle C neighborhood. Depending on where you plan on working...? Many nice homes and homebuilders in Circle C and the surrounding areas!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
The views in NW Austin are really beautiful, and we are close to DT and all the shopping in the Arboretum, Domain, Ikea The area in Spicewood doesn't seem as matchy-suburban as Circle C, but Circle C is really very pretty and close to the Veloway and Flower Center. It really boils down to personal preference and commuting convenience. I would say they are about equidistant to downtown- but if you work north, I would pass on Circle C (and same for working South).

Old 06-28-2010, 08:03 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
The views in NW Austin are really beautiful, and we are close to DT and all the shopping in the Arboretum, Domain, Ikea The area in Spicewood doesn't seem as matchy-suburban as Circle C, but Circle C is really very pretty and close to the Veloway and Flower Center. It really boils down to personal preference and commuting convenience. I would say they are about equidistant to downtown- but if you work north, I would pass on Circle C (and same for working South).
I think it also has to do with price. It is possible to get a nice home in circle c in the low 300s. I don't think that's possible in the other area.

My husband works north (Research Blvd north of where the plane crash occurred last Feb) and it only takes him 25 minutes to get to work from Circle C when he leaves at 7 AM.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:24 AM

302 posts, read 690,536 times
I agree with the posters here. It's really about where you work and personal preference.

I personally live in Circle C and love it here. There's a great deal to do nearby. The city and Zilker are close by. 2nd pool is now underway and it's pretty much across the street for me. Still waiting for the Alamo Drafthouse construction to really get started, though (start seems to have been delayed due to recession).

If you like to ride bikes, CC is a very bike friendly neighborhood, what with the Veloway and all the bike lanes.

One thing to keep in mind, AISD has plans to build a SW High School sometime in the future (no one knows exactly when, from what I can tell). So the feeder patters are likely to change for HS. If you have small children, they'll likely end up going to the new SW HS once it's built.

Having said that, chances are very good that the new SW HS will be a very good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: