Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 11:49 AM

669 posts, read 1,612,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Petes dueling piano bar
I'm sure Austin would have something to that liking. Ya, PB gets old after college, gaslamp can be too yuppie for me sometimes. But they have their cheap eats and drinks their too. Only thing I would really miss about SD to Austin is the weekend getaways. Nieces and nephews love all the amusement parks here and OC/LA even SF are short 2-3 day trips w/ everything u can want. Not to mention vegas a 3.5 hr drive. My wife's family is large so our calendar in summer is booked w/ families coming her for vacation. They all have kids and each stay about a week to get through it all. Austin has plenty to do and is lively enough compared to SD that you won't miss it too much. It's just some of the other things that are closer that you will kinda miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 12:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
It's not venom, simply factual. You started a thread on it, after all, and made it clear that you live in California and would prefer to continue to do so, so chances are you're not the best source for information on what's available in Austin because you don't live here and aren't planning on doing so unless you have to. How is that venom?

Old 06-14-2008, 01:24 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,674 times
I'm kind of tired of this town actually. In the 90's it was a university and blue collar town where everyone pulled their weight.
Now if you're here it feels like you're dragging about 100 mindless yuppies along for the ride.
I am going to greener pastures soon.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:14 PM

9 posts, read 40,568 times
Do you mind if I ask where the greener pastures are located?

Old 06-15-2008, 11:30 AM

669 posts, read 1,612,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It's not venom, simply factual. You started a thread on it, after all, and made it clear that you live in California and would prefer to continue to do so, so chances are you're not the best source for information on what's available in Austin because you don't live here and aren't planning on doing so unless you have to. How is that venom?
Facts are facts and opinion opinions. But I've come across so many Texans who can't name a negative thing about where they live. I believe those have no credibility and are in la-la land. Even the richest people in SoCal and have it all great here can name plenty of things that they don't like. I can name 5 things off the top of my head, some people think TX is perfect - well ok maybe it is? Saying people are moving there bc it is, is plain dumb. Saying people who live in CA, for about equal wages, 4X higher cost of living is saying something about the area itself, not just economics. Or hey, maybe all us Californians are suckers for staying here? Ignorance maybe a better word. Yes I live in CA - do I like what TX has to offer, yes. But the situation my life is in now, CA is better fit for my lifestyle. Now, have 3 kids and rising costs, TX is a far better deal unless I'm making 200k a year. Am I the best source for Austin - no, but many have agreed who lived in BOTH AREAS! So Shabam!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:17 PM

289 posts, read 1,138,489 times
Well, I'm from San Diego (40 years worth), lived in Austin for 2 and now in Dallas/Plano. Much better for a Southern Californian up here in the Dallas area. Soooo much more to do - less pretentious too. And way fewer bugs (and more swimming pools).

I know some of you were talking about the Next Austin since Austin has lost its groove. (I wouldn't know, I arrived in Austin after the groove had gone). There was an article last month in the NY Times about Denton (North of Dallas) being the next Austin. The best thing about that is that you could be in this small hip town that still has some local flavor and still only be 30 minutes from one of the biggest cities in the country.

I found the article but it might take registration:
Music Issue: Cultured Traveler - An Indie Scene That Comes With a Texas Twang in Denton - Travel - New York Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin